Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac SP 1.8 sleep problem

PowerMac SP 1.8 sleep problem
discotronic
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 02:55 PM

I did a search of the forums and Google but didn't come up with anything.

I have a new PowerMac G5 1.8GHz with a 9600XT video card. I am using a 17" MAG LCD with the DVI to VGA adapter. It is running Tiger 10.4.1.

The system will go to sleep but I can get it to wake up. It seems that when I try to wake it up it goes into a continous cycle of "trying" to wake up. The only thing I can do is a hard shutdown. I have it set to not go to sleep and for the hard drives to stay on all the time. The problem has existed under 10.3.7 - 10.4.1.

Anyone have experience with this? I ran the Hardware Test CD and everything came back normal. I am starting to think it has something to do with the monitor and adapter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 03:09 PM

Do you have any Firewire or USB cards installed? I have an Adaptec Firewire/USB combo card, and it gives me trouble with sleeping. The system will sleep, but some of the ports won't work when it wakes up. A reboot fixes them until the next time it sleeps. Without the card installed, it has no trouble sleeping. It's an issue that doesn't bother me since I don't ever put it to sleep anyway, so I've never worried too much about it.

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 03:14 PM

The machine is stock right now. I don't have anything installed. I had sleep problems on an iMac a couple years ago that ended up being a USB hub. Unfortunately that isn't the case this time. I hope that it doesn't turn out to be a bad video card. The monitor is going to be replaced real soon so I wouldn't mind if that is actually the problem.

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 06:01 PM

I'm still having an issue with this thing. If I restart the system the video refuses to come up. I have to restart numerous times. It is still doing the sleep thing also.

The only way I have been able to get it to reboot is to reset the PRAM about 2-3 times in a row.

My new monitor should be here on Monday. Hopefully that will fix it. Anyone out there have this same issue?

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 11:49 PM

Well, the new monitor didn't solve my problem. I figured going from the DVI to VGA adapter to a true DVI monitor would help. Now when I put the system to sleep and try to wake it the screen gets all jumbled with orange and red lines. Then the whole screen will turn blue and stay that way. Time to call Apple.

Theodour
Forum Regular
May 24, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by discotronic
Well, the new monitor didn't solve my problem. I figured going from the DVI to VGA adapter to a true DVI monitor would help. Now when I put the system to sleep and try to wake it the screen gets all jumbled with orange and red lines. Then the whole screen will turn blue and stay that way. Time to call Apple.
You might be able to find what is causing the problem in the Console.
My most recent wake from sleep bug was evident in the Console -- I do believe the System Log. There was a message that kept repeating over and over again, as it tried and failed to resume operations.
Of course, that message didn't actually help me determine what the problem was ...

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 12:49 AM

Make sure Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible. isn't checked in System Preferences>Energy Saver.

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2005, 05:58 PM

I called Apple today. They are sending me a new video card.

I understand that these kind of things happen. It just seems that Apple's quality control isn't what it used to be. I got this PowerMac as a replacement for a lemon iMac G5. I've only had it for about a week and it already has problems.

At least I have another year warranty with this one. I bought the iMac G5 as soon as they where announced. I am still impressed every time I call Apple Support. I don't think I have ever had to wait for more than 2 minutes before someone was on the other end helping me.

If for some reason the video card doesn't work I will post back

discotronic  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 02:28 PM

I received the new video card today. It took care of my issues. I am glad it wasn't anything more than that. Not bad service at all. Called on Tuesday and received the card on Thursday. I don't think that can be beat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules