Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD fan replacement

MDD fan replacement
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 12:33 PM

Ok so I've had my dual 1ghz mdd since it debuted and its about time to fix the noise problem. I have a question though. What is it about the CPU 120mm fan that i should know about to replace it appropriately. what are the dimensions, if you have replaced it yourself then what are the best fans out there? Thanks for any advice
>trev

piet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 07:47 PM

any fan running fast is noisy so a "super-silent" fan will make only a small difference.
exchange the fans in the psu from 028amp to 0.14 amp and cooling the cpu and graphic card with water (a cheap but goodone is coolriver $95)is working ok but you have to make the cpu hold-down part( what is very simple)

bossep
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by treebark7182
Ok so I've had my dual 1ghz mdd since it debuted and its about time to fix the noise problem. I have a question though. What is it about the CPU 120mm fan that i should know about to replace it appropriately. what are the dimensions, if you have replaced it yourself then what are the best fans out there? Thanks for any advice
>trev
the dimensions of mine in a G4 DA is 120x120x25. Papst is great!

bgordon
Jul 23, 2005, 11:00 PM

vantec stealth running at 7 volts:

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/7volt.html

i've tried many: silenx, panaflo m1a, etc. but this one moves the most air at a slower speed.

btw, you want 120x120x25 to fit in the existing slot. (For instance, the Panaflo's are 120x120x38, which require that you bend the little metal arms holding the fan in place, annoying and ulimately unnecessary.)

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 07:22 AM

will a 4 pin molex equiped fan still have varying speeds like the delta one does? meaning if it gets hotter it will compensate by increasing fan speed by itself? also do i want to run a 120mm fan at 7v or 12v? btw i just did the mod in a previous thread making a duckt with cardboard and placing a 120mm fan to exaust the powersupply. works like a charm and my tower is already 20x quieter.

bossep
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by treebark7182
will a 4 pin molex equiped fan still have varying speeds like the delta one does? meaning if it gets hotter it will compensate by increasing fan speed by itself? also do i want to run a 120mm fan at 7v or 12v? btw i just did the mod in a previous thread making a duckt with cardboard and placing a 120mm fan to exaust the powersupply. works like a charm and my tower is already 20x quieter.
My Delta had a sensor, the Papst I have now has a lead that must be connected to the motherboard, I guess it only works with a PC?

bgordon
Jul 25, 2005, 08:04 AM

Fairly sure that running off a molex connector means the fan will NOT vary speeds according to heat...I'm fairly certain that you need to connect the fan to the motherboard connector for it to do that. And check the fan specs before you go from 12 volts to 7 volts - most will list "range of operation" as 5 volts-12 volts. (I've never had a problem operating a 120mm fan at 7 volts.)

The point of running at a lower voltage is less noise. You just have to make sure that, at peak heat, the computer stays cool enough at the reduced fan speed. Use the program Temperature Monitor -

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

- to determine your CPU temps and see if they stay within limits. (I think the limits are around 70 C, but I've heard different opinions, so do not take my word on that.)

For me, 60 C is the magic # where the PSU fans ramp up slightly annoyingly, so if I can use a 120mm fan, running at 7 volts, that keeps my CPUs below 60C, I'm happy. Hence, my Vantec Stealth.

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 08:31 AM

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetai...0MMDBB/E74677/

this is the fan i have running my psu. at the medium setting its virtually silent. it also says at medium that it pushes 56cfm and is at a calculated 80% of the 12v high speed. Would buying another of these at a medium setting be a safe thing to do? Is 56cfm enough air to cool the processors? doesnt feel like a ton from my mod. Would it be safer to just make a recomended fan 7v or try out this one?

bgordon
Jul 25, 2005, 09:56 AM

I think you'd prob. be best off trying a little experimentation.

I suspect that the medium setting of the fan you're showing me is the same as 7-volt operation, i.e., when you switch it to medium, it's probably running at a lower voltage.

The specs sound similar to what I've got in mine, a 12-volt fan running at 7 volts:

http://www.cuttingedgecasemods.com/f...120stealth.htm

For the price, if I were you, I'd just get another of the fans that you showed me, try running it at medium speed, and if it can't keep the CPU's cool enough, boost it back up to max.

Certainly better than fiddling with molex connector pins (not hard, really, but your switch solution seems easier.)

- bgordon

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 10:59 AM

what are your cpu temperatures like running that fan at 7v?
also what pin connector is it on the mother board? Is it necessary to have it connected into the motherboard to have the fan change its speed? and if so is it even neccessary for it to change speed?
( Last edited by treebark7182; Jul 25, 2005 at 12:25 PM. )

piet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 05:04 PM

The cpu heat in "temperature monitor" or the "widget" from xak is NOT the cpu but the ambient air next to the cpu!!!

bgordon
Jul 25, 2005, 05:12 PM

"what are your cpu temperatures like running that fan at 7v?"
Right now, with 3 hard drives in my MDD, along with the Verax silencing kit, one PCI card, the speaker removed from the front to allow air in, and all PCI slot covers removed, my CPU temps are about 58.5 C.

"also what pin connector is it on the mother board?"
It's a 2-pin connector right down near the door hinge, near the bottom of the motherboard.

"Is it necessary to have it connected into the motherboard to have the fan change its speed?"
Pretty sure the answer to that is yes.

"And if so is it even neccessary for it to change speed?"
I don't think so - not if my fan, at 7 volts, can keep temps below 60 C with an acceptable amount (at least to me) of noise.

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 08:27 AM

ok well heres the deal. I did the cardboard duct/120mm fan replacement for the psu, removed stock speaker, put in pci slot "hot attic" fan, closed all other pci slots to have a better flow rather than letting heat leak out, and left the stock delta. I tried to install the fan i had previously listed and it was unable to maintain temperature levels that i was comfortable with without kicking it into loud/high mode. Let me just say i havent hit above 58c, with the computer running for 5 hours with 10+ programs open simultaneously including photoshop and WOW. Delta fan hasnt spun up once and the machine is virtually silent now. Psu is cooler to the touch then it was before i modded. For $20 i turned that windtunnel into a lean,mean, whisper quiet machine. definately worth the time.

whatcha waiting for

>trev

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 02:57 PM

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Azzgunther

Thats exactly the mod i was referring too. Thanks for introducing me to it. Cheers
>trev

Forum Links
Forum Rules