Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 4th gen and windows

4th gen and windows
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 10:28 AM

hiya,
I recently sold my 4th gen b/w 40gb ipod for $300 to someone at work to go towards a 60g 5th gen black video (drool). Anyway, im a mac user and the person i sold the ipod to is a pc user and he cant seem to get it to mount on his computer. What are the absolutely bare minimum requirements to get an ipod to mount in windows? will it connect if he only has usb 1? does ipod only work with a certain windows OS (using OS losely here)? any help would be great

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 19, 2005, 11:12 AM

He has to load iTunes on his PC to get it to be seen as anything other than a generic USB-connected disk drive. There seems to be a version of iTunes for all the current versions of Windows (at least from Win98 up), so that's not a problem. He may need to "format" the iPod too. This isn't really formatting the drive, it just tells the iPod it's being used in connection with a Windows computer-and iTunes (or the iPod installation program) will walk him through it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 11:22 AM

with the ipod updater does he click on update or restore? is there anyway to do this w/out losing the content thats in the ipod itself??

Forum Links
Forum Rules