Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will you be purchasing the new line of iPods?

View Poll Results: Will you be purchasing the new line of iPods?
Poll Options:
iPod video 23 votes (22.55%)
iPod nano 18 votes (17.65%)
iPod shuffle 16 votes (15.69%)
I AM REPLACING AN OLD iPOD WITH ONE OF THE ABOVE 28 votes (27.45%)
THIS WILL BE MY FIRST iPOD 3 votes (2.94%)
No my current iPod is fine 48 votes (47.06%)
No I don't want or have an iPod 5 votes (4.90%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll
Will you be purchasing the new line of iPods? (Page 2)
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 11:48 PM

I'm getting the new shuffle. I was a big fan of the 1st gen shuffle too. I'm saying au revoir to my full sized iPod, ain't looking back.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2006, 11:50 PM

I'm fine right now. I haven't reached 60 gigs on the video (yet), but I'll probably replace it if and when a widescreen video iPod comes around. As for the shuffle, I love the fact that it's a jumpdrive, but $79 is tempting to get another one...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2006, 11:52 PM

I wonder if you can boot OS9 from the shuffle.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:10 AM

They actually had the new Nano's at the Apple store today... and to be honest, they don't look that much nicer then the old ones. They definitely aren't ugly in any way, but holding it in my hand didn't fill me with a lustful desire to consume like previous iPod revisions have.

They didn't have the shuffles in unfortunately.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I have one question. Why is the 8GB nano the same price as the 30GB video?!?! Who would really be stupid enough to get the 8GB nano instead of the video? Anyway...my 3G ipod still owns all the other iPods. Well...the 2G was pretty great too.
People who value size and durability over storage and video.

I would choose the Nano myself. Without hesitation.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:13 AM

Ya the Nano is definitely a lateral or even backwards step in terms of its appearance. The fact that they chose the same colors doesn't help either.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Ya the Nano is definitely a lateral or even backwards step in terms of its appearance. The fact that they chose the same colors doesn't help either.
I thought so too at first but seeing them side by side the new ones do look better.. at least the black one does.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 12:36 AM

I wish you could get the 8GB in other colors. I originally liked the black but after seeing pictures of the blue one (haven't seen one in person yet) I really like the color. I think Apple actually convinced me not to spend more on the 8GB because it only comes in black.

"I start fires!"

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 12:41 AM

I'm leaning toward picking up a shuffle to complement my 5G...it would be used for exercise, bike rides, wherever my 30 gigger is impractical.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 01:05 AM

i just bought a nano like 2 months ago... but the new shuffle is so sexy.

(btw, hi everyone)
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2006, 01:25 AM

I ordered a new 80GB Video. It's replacing my 20GB 3G that I purchase used a year and a half ago. So this will be my first 'new' iPod.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 01:27 AM

It is amazing how many people are replacing the iPod Video even though it only got such a small upgrade. What was wrong with the old one?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:29 AM

My old 512 Shuffle still works fine, so no rush for a replacement. I have an antique 5GB original iPod, that has a dead battery, but still serves me as a small FW backup drive.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:41 AM

I actually planned on buying a white 4 gig Nano before Apple decided to re-introduce those horrid colors.

I like the size of the shuffle though. If they ever make a white version I might buy one.

Until then my 4 gig mini will be that last iPod I'll ever own.

I more than likely will be replacing it with a SE W710i since I'm in the market for a new cellphone and camera as well.
( Last edited by Kr0nos; Sep 14, 2006 at 02:30 AM. )

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 02:04 AM

I ordered a new shuffle today. I had a $50 credit for my 3g battery.

Total cost approx. $31

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 02:24 AM

I gave my 2nd Gen iPod to my parents last xmas when I got a 30 gig 5G iPod. I think I'll be getting a 80 gig to replace it. Mostly for the better screen and battery. I use it a lot for photos when traveling, and for those long plane and train rides. Need more juice.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I have one question. Why is the 8GB nano the same price as the 30GB video?!?! Who would really be stupid enough to get the 8GB nano instead of the video? Anyway...my 3G ipod still owns all the other iPods. Well...the 2G was pretty great too.
The reason is retarded people. All the kids down here in Florida have nanos, all of them are black because they have to have black stuff. stupid people that like black-> black iPod nano only in 8GB-> $$$ for Apple. Good market strategy.
Signature depreciated.

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 10:20 AM

Thought about upgrading my nano and it would've been the 8GB black, but I took a trip down to the Apple Store and decided different.

I don't know what kind of abuse customers put these things through, but the display black nano was already scratched up and the silver of the aluminum was showing. And this was not even after one day of sitting on display. I'm not putting down that kind of money so I can have a black iPod with its coloring scratch off easily.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 14, 2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
I like the size of the shuffle though. If they ever make a white version I might buy one.

Dude, it is a friggin $80 shuffle that is so small unless someone walks right up to and examines where-ever you clipped it on you, they would never know what the hell colour it is anyway.

Don't hold your breath on a white one.. no point. I mean it is made out of strong aluminum now with white buttons. Why would apple make a white plastic version? The most you could hope for is the same colours as the Nano but even then it isn't worth Apples time as it is so cheap already they would lose money making 5 different SKU's.

"Hello, what have we here?

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:01 AM

It turns out Apple was already putting the brighter screens in the new iPod Video's in the recently shipping last gen iPods and nobody noticed.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
It turns out Apple was already putting the brighter screens in the new iPod Video's in the recently shipping last gen iPods and nobody noticed.
call me crazy, but after the itunes update, my video does seem much brighter. when the back light was off and the do not disconnect thing was on in my dark room it was dull, but now its very vibrant.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
call me crazy, but after the itunes update, my video does seem much brighter. when the back light was off and the do not disconnect thing was on in my dark room it was dull, but now its very vibrant.
I noticed that too. I was borrowing a friend's video and it seemed brighter after I updated it.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 04:04 PM

yes!!!! i'm not going crazy!!!!! hmm, a free update to my video, nice

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock

I guess they just had it dimmed through software and the rom update cured that.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2006, 05:17 PM

I ordered a new Nano on the 12th, as soon as I could after I got home. Not because it's so cool-which it is-but because I'd promised my wife I'd get her a Nano in September. She thinks I forgot about it, but in a couple of days she'll realize she's wrong.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I ordered a new Nano on the 12th, as soon as I could after I got home. Not because it's so cool-which it is-but because I'd promised my wife I'd get her a Nano in September. She thinks I forgot about it, but in a couple of days she'll realize she's wrong.
Bwahaha! Revenge of the thoughtful Husband!
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 12:02 AM

My 4G, while relatively new, is on its last legs (and out of warrantee), so I'll be picking up a new video. Plus I could use the extra 10 gigs of storage in the 30 gig model (I use mine for small amounts of backup as well). White, of course.

Hopefully this one won't get dropped on concrete.

Twice.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

generationfourt
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 01:25 AM

my 3g is alive and kicking and I'm the 3rd owner. It has had a battery transplant. I keep telling myself that I will buy a new ipod once this one bites the dust. After checking out the new ones I feel like dropping the 3g a few times :o

but honestly the main thing holding me back is all my accessories are for older gens (remote, case, clip for gym, etc)

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2006, 01:30 AM

I have a 1 GB shuffle that lives on a Marware carabiner-thing for working in the yard. It's name is "Ficus"

I plan on getting the black 8GB Nano for use mainly in the car. I have no interest in video, games, or toting my entire library with me. 8 gigs is a lot of 128-bit AACs. Small size, flash drive, & longer battery life helped my decision.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 01:39 AM

I...want...80gb....video...
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
It is amazing how many people are replacing the iPod Video even though it only got such a small upgrade. What was wrong with the old one?
Besides kenneth, who is replacing their 5G ipod with a new one? It seems from the responses in this thread that the majority of people upgrading are replacing an older gen iPod.

I have no plans on upgrading my 30GB video or 1GB nano anytime soon. It seems to be the perfect combination for me. Nano for working out (Nike+iPod sport kit) and the video for everything else. However, when the day Apple decides release a new widescreen iPod, I would upgrade in a heartbeat.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2006, 08:39 AM

Ive been thinking about buying the 4GB nano. I think I'll wait until christmas, then pickup my girlfriend one too.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 09:25 PM

Aprox. 3 weeks before I get my new Shuffle.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 11:36 PM

For $79, the shuffle is a good buy.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2006, 09:07 AM

After a lot of thought, I'm just going to wait till its widescreen. Saving up money now for a Macbook Pro. Woot!

Forum Links
Forum Rules