Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Clamshell

iBook Clamshell
mBurns
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 11:26 AM

Hi. I just bought a lime iBook clamshell 366 mhz model. It's currently running OS 9.1. If I want to add an airport card, where is a good place to look? Also, do I need any adaptors like the iMac for the airport card? In addition, what is the latest OS 9 it can run and where can I find it? Is it a smart idea to leave this machine running OS 9? Thanks for the help!
MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz CD | 100 Gb HD | 2 Gb RAM | 10.4
iBook Clamshell | 466 Mhz | 60 Gb HD | 576 Mb RAM | 10.4

thebiscuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 12:37 PM

eBay's probably a good place to start for an airport card. I think you just need a standard classic one - not airport extreme. Not 100% sure about that though. It should run OS 9.2 which I think was the last one and it's probably on Apple's site somewhere. OS 9 is probably fine as OS X might be a bit much although if you put 512megs of RAM in it should run Jaguar/Panther not too bad.
iBook G4 12.1" 1280MB 30GB(soon to be 100) 1.2Ghz. First Mac, had for 1.5 years, loving it.

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 12:42 PM

Is putting an airport card in one of these machines fairly difficult? Also, thanks for the tips. I'm loving this machine! It's a ton of fun and OS 9 isn't bad at all for basic web surfing.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mBurns View Post
Hi. I just bought a lime iBook clamshell 366 mhz model. It's currently running OS 9.1. If I want to add an airport card, where is a good place to look? Also, do I need any adaptors like the iMac for the airport card? In addition, what is the latest OS 9 it can run and where can I find it? Is it a smart idea to leave this machine running OS 9? Thanks for the help!
i bought my airport card from other world computing. you need the original card. no adapter is needed. if you plan on running osx, upgrade your firmware first. if you plan on running osx, upgrade to 9.2.2. if not, leave it at 9.1. more stable. lastly 9 will be much faster than any version of x you can put on this machine. i run 9.2.2 and 10.3.9 and it seems like i stay a couple of weeks in one and then switch over to the other. i find mozilla to be a decent browser for 9. enjoy your laptop, they're rugged and a lot of fun and definately an eye opener. it will always have limitations in today's world and will never be a speed demon, but can still do a lot of things well.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 22, 2006, 04:06 PM

Is putting an airport card in one of these machines fairly difficult? Also, thanks for the tips. I'm loving this machine! It's a ton of fun and OS 9 isn't bad at all for basic web surfing.
This guide will show you how to do it:

iBook G3 Clamshell Disassembly: iBook Parts

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the tips. I will most likely end up buying an airport card off eBay. How can I set my machine to dual boot? Thanks!

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 22, 2006, 10:05 PM

OS 9 for speed, but you lose SOME modern functionality. I recommend OS X Panther as a great OS to run on it, make sure you max the memory at 576MB (add a 512MB stick in there), and let her rip! You need to first update to 9.2.2 and get your firmware upgraded from the apple updater or from apples site. Then OS X is easy.

You need the original airport card, no adapter is needed. It will run you anywhere from $80 to $100.

If you decide to keep OS 9 on there, take a look at this thread for ideas on free software for you to use to get the most out of the OS.

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...4/os-x-os-9-a/

Welcome to the Clamshell club, I have one and use it almost every day, even though I have much more powerful computers in my house!
iMac G4 / Macbook

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple View Post
OS 9 for speed, but you lose SOME modern functionality. I recommend OS X Panther as a great OS to run on it, make sure you max the memory at 576MB (add a 512MB stick in there), and let her rip! You need to first update to 9.2.2 and get your firmware upgraded from the apple updater or from apples site. Then OS X is easy.

You need the original airport card, no adapter is needed. It will run you anywhere from $80 to $100.

If you decide to keep OS 9 on there, take a look at this thread for ideas on free software for you to use to get the most out of the OS.

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...4/os-x-os-9-a/

Welcome to the Clamshell club, I have one and use it almost every day, even though I have much more powerful computers in my house!

Thanks Chasing! You gave me the OS 9 backgrounds awhile back. Do you have any idea about an external DVD player that would work with my machine? Many thanks.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 22, 2006, 11:41 PM

Thanks Chasing! You gave me the OS 9 backgrounds awhile back. Do you have any idea about an external DVD player that would work with my machine? Many thanks.
Well, you COULD hook up a firewire DVD player to the system, I'm just not sure the 366mhz G3 will be enough to run it smoothly. In the past I have run DVD's fine on a Pismo powerbook 400Mhz and a different Clamshell 466Mhz both which had 8mb videocards. I wonder if the old 366mhz can handle it.

After looking over at macmall.com I found that most of the external drives want a G4 500mhz or better to work.

LaCie - 16x d2 DVD+-RW Double Layer FireWire and USB 2.0 Drive with LightScribe - 300978U - Data Storage - DVD Drives - MacMall

You can give it a shot and report back to us but your going to spend around $100 or so for the test. Lemme try to play a DVD on my Clamshell using my iMac as the drive, and I will let you know how it goes.
iMac G4 / Macbook

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 12:02 AM

No go, tried over a wireless network (knew it would be too slow) and over a firewire network between the 2 computers. Apples DVD player software would not recognize the drive as a valid drive and VLC WOULD open it up, but it was sooooo slow that I would say unplayable. I got to see the menu before VLC crapped out saying the hardware was too slow and bamn, it crashed VLC.

Sooo, I am going to say a firewire drive probably wouldn't work too well on these. BUT, then again this is a firewire networked drive off of another mac, it might be a different story with a normal external DVD drive. I wish I had one to test for you.
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 12:07 AM

mcetech has an external dvd burner that falls into the ibook's specifications. (doesn't need a g4) like the previous poster i have no idea how well it would work. pricey.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
mcetech has an external dvd burner that falls into the ibook's specifications. (doesn't need a g4) like the previous poster i have no idea how well it would work. pricey.
I took a look over there and indeed there is one, it says for iBook G3 and G4. It also says OS 9 and all OS X compatible so it might be worth your wild to get it.

Copy and pasted from site...

System Requirements:
p/n LUCIDM8XDL: Macintosh computer with FireWire port running Mac OS 9, Mac OS 10.2, Mac OS 10.3, or Mac OS 10.4 (or later)

That to me says compatible 100%. The price is $179 so if that is worth it to you to turn your Clamshell into a DVD playing computer then go for it. Please remember to report back to us if it does work out!
iMac G4 / Macbook

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 10:00 AM

I took a look over there and indeed there is one, it says for iBook G3 and G4. It also says OS 9 and all OS X compatible so it might be worth your wild to get it.

Copy and pasted from site...

System Requirements:
p/n LUCIDM8XDL: Macintosh computer with FireWire port running Mac OS 9, Mac OS 10.2, Mac OS 10.3, or Mac OS 10.4 (or later)

That to me says compatible 100%. The price is $179 so if that is worth it to you to turn your Clamshell into a DVD playing computer then go for it. Please remember to report back to us if it does work out!
Thanks for the help. Maybe when I have some more cash coming in I'll pick one up but for now, I'm sticking with the built-in CD-ROM! Did you guys notice how well engineered the keyboard on the clamshells are?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the help. Maybe when I have some more cash coming in I'll pick one up but for now, I'm sticking with the built-in CD-ROM! Did you guys notice how well engineered the keyboard on the clamshells are?
oh yes and others have noticed it also.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 03:49 PM

Did you guys notice how well engineered the keyboard on the clamshells are?
Yes, yes we have! The Clamshell has a superior keyboard even to the newest Powerbooks. It is silent, keys feel perfect, and has just the right amount of down-travel. Typing letters and stuff on the Clammy is a joy and a really good reason why I love them so much. Now the new Macbooks have one sexy styled keyboard on there, and after playing with my wifes I have grown to love them too.
iMac G4 / Macbook

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 07:09 PM

Do you guys know a good place to get ram for my clammy? It's seems to be very expensive everywhere I look!

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 23, 2006, 07:42 PM

Do you guys know a good place to get ram for my clammy? It's seems to be very expensive everywhere I look!
If you want to max it out with a 512MB stick of memory be prepared to spend around $100. I prefer Crucial memory because of the trackrecord I have had with them, but there are cheaper options out there.

newegg.com is a good place to look, or just crucial.com if you want the Crucial.
iMac G4 / Macbook

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 09:15 PM

How much ram do you have in your machine chasing? Do you think 512 is overkill for OS 9? I may end up with OS X, I want to see how OS 9 is with internet. Also, is there a way to set my machine to dual boot? I appreciate the help!

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 03:01 AM

Total memory in my clamshell is 576MB. OS 9 NEVER needed that much, or maybe I didn't run enough programs for it to need it, but either way it was nice to have it there. OS 9 isn't the best OS at multi-tasking so the more memory the better. As for OS X and OS 9 together that is easy. Once OS 9 is all installed and updated to where you want it (9.2.2 recommended) go ahead and toss the OS X disc in there and choose install. DO NOT choose erase and install or archive install. It will automatically install OS X to play friendly with OS 9 on your mac.

OS X Panther wants 256MB to be efficient and Tiger needs at least 512MB to be efficient, so go ahead and max out the memory regardless of the OS you put on there, memory is king on a mac.
iMac G4 / Macbook

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 06:28 PM

Thanks! Does anyone know a good place to get old OS disks?

rjt1000
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 07:13 PM

Thanks! Does anyone know a good place to get old OS disks?
eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/Mac-OS-9

http://search.ebay.com/Mac-OS-X

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 12:24 PM

love the clamshells! and lime green.. yUMMY

ChasingApple
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 02:49 PM

My favorites are still the original blueberry and tangerine. It's too bad they had the slowest hardware in them. I would LOVE a tangerine 466mhz with all the bells
iMac G4 / Macbook

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 12:07 AM

This thread made me jump on my Blueberry and install Tiger. I have been meaning to do it for some time now but just never took the time. I did it with Xpostfacto under Panther and everything went off without any issues.

I have to say that I am impressed with the performance. iTunes scrolling is smoother and Camino is pretty fast overall for surfing. The GUI feels faster and scrolling in the finder is smoother as well.

Tiger does eat up a little more RAM than Panther but I have it at the max of 576MB. With Camino, iTunes and Activity Monitor open, I am using 321MB RAM. Also, the 5400RPM hard drive makes a real difference. Overall this is a great machine and I will probably have it forever.

For anyone looking to pick a clamshell up there are a couple things to keep in mind. If you are going to get the 300MHz model just make sure it is the Rev B. These came with 64MB built in whereas the older rev had 32MB built in. Also, don't expect much in terms of performance. They are great for light surfing and typing the occasional paper but anything beyond that is pushing it's limits. OSX is only supported up to 10.3 on the original 300MHz iBook and it will most likely be gone totally from all the clamshells when 10.5 is released.

OS 9 runs great but finding a good browser can be a problem. I haven't had much luck with iCab because it seem to lock up constantly and Mozilla is just plain slow.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 01:33 AM

I also just installed Tiger on my 366Mhz Clammy for another trial run. I can concur that there is better (smoother) scrolling, Safari runs better, and overall seems to be a little more modern feeling then Panther. I also have 576MB of memory so I dont feel the pinch as bad as I could. It's not the fastest system on the block, but for light use this thing is awesome. and 6+ hours of battery life can't be beat.
iMac G4 / Macbook

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 11:42 AM

Hey guys! I'm going to take a picture of my clammy asap. I'm still running OS 9. I'm using iCab because even though it sometimes freezes, it's the best at rendering pages correctly. I'm really enjoying this machine. I like it more then my MacBook Pro. I installed an airport card in it and bought the lime mac-case. I'm in it for the long hall! What is everyones thoughts about the 466 MHZ models? Are they that much speedier? I'm confused about the speed difference you'll feel between the two.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 12:01 PM

Hey guys! I'm going to take a picture of my clammy asap. I'm still running OS 9. I'm using iCab because even though it sometimes freezes, it's the best at rendering pages correctly. I'm really enjoying this machine. I like it more then my MacBook Pro. I installed an airport card in it and bought the lime mac-case. I'm in it for the long hall! What is everyones thoughts about the 466 MHZ models? Are they that much speedier? I'm confused about the speed difference you'll feel between the two.
like it better than a macbook pro? now i like my clamshell, but that's saying a mouthful. never used a 366 so i can't compare it to my 466. however i would expect it to be only marginally faster. it's still a g3. does have the ability to play dvd's. also got one of those cases, they're cool.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 12:30 PM

Let me rephrase that gooser. I don't like it better it's just different. I enjoy being out in public with the clammy much more then with my MacBook Pro because it's so funky looking. I "enjoy" surfing the web on the clamshell better then the MBP.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2006, 12:35 PM

ok, why do you enjoy surfing more on the clamshell? any reason other than you can comfortably sit the thing on your lap?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 12:48 PM

Two reasons:

A) Not as hot on the lap

B) I like the design of system overall

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 03:50 PM

I agree with mBurns, even though I have much more powerful computers in the house I enjoy chilling around the house with my clamshell much more. It never ever gets hot, it runs for hours and everything works, especially with Tiger installed.

As for 366 vs the 466, yes the 466 feels faster. But it is not a HUGE difference. I think a faster HD is more important then the CPU in these things. I had a 5400rpm 40GB in my old 466 graphite, and the regular 4200rpm 10GB in this 366. even with the same amount of memory in both (576MB) the graphite with its faster HD was way faster at launching apps, handling files, and overall speediness of the OS. The extra 100mhz helped of course, but a fast HD in there would boost it up nicely. I'm still tossing around the idea of either upgrading this clamshell, or buy a Pismo to upgrade. I choose these systems for style, battery life, and overall coolness over the newer Macs. I'm just not feeling the Mac gone Intel thing and love the fact that all the Macs I use are PowerPC's.
iMac G4 / Macbook

DmbShn41
Nov 3, 2006, 08:45 PM

Hey Chase, while I got you around, I need to pick your brain. I just got a 512mb stick for my Clammy. Tried installing today, and when I boot up, it takes forever, then goes me a black popup telling me I need to restart. I restart, and get the same thing. On one occasion I got what I think is the terminal winodw, something about localhost. So I threw the old RAM in there, and bam, started right up, no issues. Thinking I did it wrong, I tried the 512 again, and same thing, restart window. I checked around, a lot of new MB owners are reporting you have to *slam* the card into the slot in order for it to work, as I have seen a few iMac owners say also. I'm wondering if this would work with me. When you upgraded yours, did you have to apply a sever amount of pressure to install the new card? I purchased the stick from MemoryToGo.com, and they seem great. $83 for the 512mb, best deal around, but I think I just bought an $83 keychain decoration. As far as the brand of RAM, its a swissbit, or thats what the sticker says. Any help would be appreciated.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 12:52 AM

I only use Crucial memory in mine, and never in the 2 clamshells I've had did I have to slam anything in there. Your stick might not be 100% compatible with the Clamshell. Might want to return that one.
iMac G4 / Macbook

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Hey Chase, while I got you around, I need to pick your brain. I just got a 512mb stick for my Clammy. Tried installing today, and when I boot up, it takes forever, then goes me a black popup telling me I need to restart. I restart, and get the same thing. On one occasion I got what I think is the terminal winodw, something about localhost. So I threw the old RAM in there, and bam, started right up, no issues. Thinking I did it wrong, I tried the 512 again, and same thing, restart window. I checked around, a lot of new MB owners are reporting you have to *slam* the card into the slot in order for it to work, as I have seen a few iMac owners say also. I'm wondering if this would work with me. When you upgraded yours, did you have to apply a sever amount of pressure to install the new card? I purchased the stick from MemoryToGo.com, and they seem great. $83 for the 512mb, best deal around, but I think I just bought an $83 keychain decoration. As far as the brand of RAM, its a swissbit, or thats what the sticker says. Any help would be appreciated.
You are having kernal panics. It is a grey screen in several different languages telling you to restart. Bad or incompatible RAM is the most common cause. You should send it back for an exchange or get your money back.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2006, 01:19 AM

do not slam! push with increasing force until you hear a click. push straight (not at an angle) and if you've never installed any kind of card before you do have to push harder than you might think you would have to at first glance. make sure it's not upside down before you try. i apologise if i'm being too basic.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 04:26 AM

Hmm, all this talk lately about clamshells makes me want to start my new project, upgrade a Pismo. I have always loved them and have been thinking about getting one. I migh use my minty clamshell to get one. Anyone got a Pismo for trade?
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2006, 09:33 AM

Hmm, all this talk lately about clamshells makes me want to start my new project, upgrade a Pismo. I have always loved them and have been thinking about getting one. I migh use my minty clamshell to get one. Anyone got a Pismo for trade?
ya know patrick since laptops and operating systems fall in and out of grace with you so easily a pismo might actually suit you better. a whole lot more options for you to tinker with. just doesn't have the style though. i look forward to someday seeing a new thread by you in the powerbook forum. to everyone else: i've had my clamshell for 11 months and the honeymoon ain't over yet. i guess its limitations haven't bothered me as much.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 11:39 AM

I really enjoy my clamshell also. I could NEVER trade it off for a pismo but I've heard they're cool computers to mess around with. I still am running my clammy with 128 MB of ram!

DmbShn41
Nov 4, 2006, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I've replaced tons of RAM in PC desktops and laptops, but never with an Apple. I'll try it again tonite, but from what I have seen, everything seems compatible with my Clammy, so I assume it is probably just a bad stick. I looked on newegg yesterday and saw some PC100 sticks. Just to make sure I am not getting the run around from MemoryToGo, Clammys take SODIMM PC133, 144-pin, and using a 512mb stick, I shouldn;t have to do anything special? Just install the card and go. Thanks guys....

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 04:25 PM

ya know patrick since laptops and operating systems fall in and out of grace with you so easily a pismo might actually suit you better. a whole lot more options for you to tinker with. just doesn't have the style though. i look forward to someday seeing a new thread by you in the powerbook forum. to everyone else: i've had my clamshell for 11 months and the honeymoon ain't over yet. i guess its limitations haven't bothered me as much.
No no don't get me wrong! I love the clammy, and I am the kind of guy that loves to tinker. I like all the Apple OS's, and I like to see what I can do with them. None of the OS's really fall out of grace, think of my posts as a journal. I like to discuss what I am doing at the moment and if I post something that helps someone else then all the better.

When I get another clammy it will probably be the tangerine one

But for now I would like to mess with a Pismo for awhile.
iMac G4 / Macbook

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2006, 08:19 PM

No no don't get me wrong! I love the clammy, and I am the kind of guy that loves to tinker. I like all the Apple OS's, and I like to see what I can do with them. None of the OS's really fall out of grace, think of my posts as a journal. I like to discuss what I am doing at the moment and if I post something that helps someone else then all the better.

When I get another clammy it will probably be the tangerine one

But for now I would like to mess with a Pismo for awhile.
well i'm still not going to let you off the hook on starting a pismo thread when you get one.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

mBurns  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 08:29 PM

well i'm still not going to let you off the hook on starting a pismo thread when you get one.
gooser, you're hilarious.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Nov 4, 2006, 08:33 PM

How about my new Clamshell thread going up right now? I doubt I will be getting a Pismo and doing the upgrade anytime soon. Money is tight right now but... If anyone has the last Tangerine Clamshell they want to trade for a newer Indigo 366Mhz Clamshell let me know! I would prefer it to have airport and a larger installed HD to make up for it being older, but PM me and we can talk.

http://forums.macnn.com/66/ibook-and...s/#post3193002
iMac G4 / Macbook

iDek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 01:28 PM

I think a faster HD is more important then the CPU in these thing I had a 5400rpm 40GB in my old 466 graphite, and the regular 4200rpm 10GB in this 366.
Hello Chase,
this is my first post here, so a big hello! to all. I am a proud owner of graphite since 2000 and I love it! It has airport and I fill up it of memory (576). I want now to replace the hard disk, I know it is difficult, I found a good pictures about disassembling. My questions: a 9.5 mm. 2.5'' HD fits into my iBook? I found a Hard Disk 40 Gb PATA 2.5" 5400 rpm EIDE Ultra DMA (ATA-5), can it be the right one?
Thank you
Alex

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by iDek View Post
Hello Chase,
this is my first post here, so a big hello! to all. I am a proud owner of graphite since 2000 and I love it! It has airport and I fill up it of memory (576). I want now to replace the hard disk, I know it is difficult, I found a good pictures about disassembling. My questions: a 9.5 mm. 2.5'' HD fits into my iBook? I found a Hard Disk 40 Gb PATA 2.5" 5400 rpm EIDE Ultra DMA (ATA-5), can it be the right one?
Thank you
Alex
hello alex, welcome aboard. don't have an answer for your questions though.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

rach
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2006, 07:42 PM

I have changed my hard drive twice in my clamshell. The first time i found it hard and i took my whole laptop apart basically. The second time i managed to get my hard drive out without having to nearly take the whole board apart. After taking the bottom casing of and loosing a few screws I loosened the screws around the hard drive and managed to manoeuvre it out and insert a new one in without taking the display of. This i found very easy to do and completed it within 30 -40minutes. I wish that i did it my way from the beginning.
These clamshells take 2.5" 9.5mm drives.
Good luck with your upgrade iDek

iDek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 06:04 AM

Great!! Thank you for fast reply

rach
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 07:07 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread on this but I have been googling for a 1GB 133 144 pin memory module and i came across a company called Smart Modular Technologies that lists such a memory module. The part number for this memory module is SM572288578D93R SMART: Memory Products: Memory Modules: PC133 SDRAM. I have emailed them to ask them where i can buy this memory if it is still being sold and i am waiting for them to get back to me. If they still make these and the price is not absurb then i may well go for it and see just how much ram the Clamshell can take.
I know that it will not recognise that much ram but maybe it can top the current 544/576 that we believe to be the limit now.
If anything good comes out of this i will let you all know.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by rach View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread on this but I have been googling for a 1GB 133 144 pin memory module and i came across a company called Smart Modular Technologies that lists such a memory module. The part number for this memory module is SM572288578D93R SMART: Memory Products: Memory Modules: PC133 SDRAM. I have emailed them to ask them where i can buy this memory if it is still being sold and i am waiting for them to get back to me. If they still make these and the price is not absurb then i may well go for it and see just how much ram the Clamshell can take.
I know that it will not recognise that much ram but maybe it can top the current 544/576 that we believe to be the limit now.
If anything good comes out of this i will let you all know.
The 1GB SO-DIMM that they have listed is ECC so it will not work.

I didn't know anyone made a 1GB PC133 module to fit in a laptop.

rach
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2006, 07:16 PM

That is a shame that is the wrong type of ram. Thank you for letting me know.
Originally Posted by discotronic View Post
The 1GB SO-DIMM that they have listed is ECC so it will not work.

I didn't know anyone made a 1GB PC133 module to fit in a laptop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules