Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New ViewSonic ViewDock

New ViewSonic ViewDock
Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 04:37 PM

Saw this in the latest issue of MacWorld. I really like the idea of the dock built into the monitor. It's not bad on the eyes either.

http://www.viewsonic.com/HDLife/viewdock/
( Last edited by Atheist; Nov 4, 2006 at 05:26 PM. )

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2006, 05:19 PM

i like the monitor i think i saw it @ a local compusa store the glossy black is appealing

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 07:03 PM

I would consider one. MacNN had a story a few weeks ago on it's release.

MacNN | ViewSonic ships LCD with iPod dock

I was considering making the purchase and later that day they changed it to coming soon. Now the price is $70 more.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 4, 2006, 07:54 PM

I saw this on Engadget a while ago and there was some confusion about whether it actually would play videos from your iPod on the screen. I think they decided that it wouldn't -- it's really just a dock integrated into the monitor. But I'm not sure and the web site doesn't say one way or the other, which is odd.

kick52
Baninated
Nov 5, 2006, 05:45 AM

it would suck a bit if the monitor could only be used as an ipod monitor... well, even if it did, someone would come up with a hack.

webmonkie
Nov 7, 2006, 11:08 PM

If you buy this monitor you will be buying iPod's for as long you have the monitor.
or maybe

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2006, 09:12 AM

The iPod has video out through the dock connector, so it's theoretically possible for this to work, but isn't iPod video limited to something like 640X480 resolution? That would probably not look nearly as good as the picture from ViewSonic's web site implies. I think showing the same picture at such a high resolution on the monitor is misleading.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

richwig83
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 09:32 AM

Ive got a none dock version of this and its great. Don't seen the point of the dock, but the extra usbs/card reader etc would be awesome. Wonder if they will sell the base separately? (AS IF)

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2006, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The iPod has video out through the dock connector, so it's theoretically possible for this to work, but isn't iPod video limited to something like 640X480 resolution? That would probably not look nearly as good as the picture from ViewSonic's web site implies. I think showing the same picture at such a high resolution on the monitor is misleading.
Technically, it could simply be a photo, and you know how iTunes lets you copy full rez photos to your iPod.

So TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, Viewsonic isn't misleading anyone

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Technically, it could simply be a photo, and you know how iTunes lets you copy full rez photos to your iPod.

So TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, Viewsonic isn't misleading anyone
Yeah, and TECHNICALLY everybody dies of "heart failure." Good, yet somewhat cynical point. I blame marketing (which is a handy thing to do since "marketing" is one of the seven horsemen and the devil's right hand fiend).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules