Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who is getting the new MacBook?

Who is getting the new MacBook?
Panzer
Forum Regular
May 15, 2007, 06:05 PM

Ok, I ordered the base MacBook, standard config. Who else bought and what did you get? I'll probably get 2gb ram from somewhere more reasonably priced. I suppose santa rosa was wishful thinking, but I'm not going to game on this anyway. Thoughts?
Ordered:
May 15, 2007 at 07:59 AM PDT
Not yet shipped

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 06:25 PM

Most definitely. Probably even just the bottom line to save money. 1GB RAM is the deal closer for me. Been too long at 512. I just don't like that it doesn't have a DVD burner, but I thought about it and I don't even use the CD burner I have and probably will never use the DVD one either. So it's a big waste for me anyway.

I am wondering if I should wait until WWDC in case they announce Leopards release date since they usually allow cheap upgrades if you buy after the date of OS release announcement.

Or maybe not. Either way I'll get one sooner than I was thinking.

kjd88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 08:02 PM

I just bought the 2,16ghz standard config macbook white. I'm upgrading from my 1.5ghz g4 12in powerbook.

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2007, 08:55 PM

My daughter just purchased a 2 ghz with a 120 drive for Mother's Day - on the 12th- while I held my Grand-Daughter.
At apple internet store - then printed out order and it printed 2ghz - just looked up order on internet and it read 2.16 today and has been shipped. She purchase on the change over date......

Now the question - will apple accounting credit her on the 120 drive that she was charged extra for at time of internet purchase now that the drive is standard for the model she got????

EDIT: YES -= she got the credit and it will be delivered by FED EX this Thursday the 17th.
( Last edited by oexecbmug; May 16, 2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: updated info)

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 09:02 PM

I'll be talking my girlfriend into one of these, now that her HP has given up the ghost. It'll be the first time that she had a computer that was faster than mine (original 1.83 CD MacBook).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 15, 2007, 10:05 PM

Now the question - will apple accounting credit her on the 120 drive that she was charged extra for at time of internet purchase now that lthe drive is standard for the mlodel she got????
They should. if they don't, call them up.
Linkinus is king.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2007, 10:10 PM

I'm probably going to order a BlackBook later this month or early next month with 2Gb of RAM.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2007, 10:15 PM

My brother is going to buy one.. i already have a macbook Core Duo 1.. but i'm actually considering upgrading to a MBP

ronin510
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 10:53 PM

I don't see much of a difference between the old and new MacBook models. This prompted me to purchase the *old* model just now. Before, I couldn't justify paying a premium just for a black case, but Amazon reduced the previous generation black MacBook to $1099 ($300 instant off + $100 online rebate) + no tax in 47 states + free shipping.

I'm "losing" 0.16ghz, a faster DVD Burner (6x vs 8x), and 40GBs of HD space (120gb vs 160gb), but I'm pocketing $400. I'm actually really glad Apple released this update.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 12:04 PM

Just ordered a midrange (white) when they appeared on Amazon this morning (no tax and a $100 rebate).

Ordered 3GB RAM through O.W.C.

Upgrading from 17" 1.5GHz PB.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Brien
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 12:19 PM

Might get one for the gf, who knows.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater View Post
Just ordered a midrange (white) when they appeared on Amazon this morning (no tax and a $100 rebate).

Ordered 3GB RAM through O.W.C.

Upgrading from 17" 1.5GHz PB.
3GB RAM? Once you've put 2Gb in the Macbook what will you do with the other gig? Hope you mean 2Gb there.

Definitely thinking about a white MacBook 2.16, the local Apple reseller will have them in stock on Friday, I'll be in the area on Friday .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 12:43 PM

So I'm interested in your feedback on switching from a 1.5 Powerbook to a MacBook. Pros? Cons?

oexecbmug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2007, 12:46 PM

stay with your PB and if you need to upgrade - wait for the new PMB this fall.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
May 16, 2007, 12:47 PM

The Amazon deal is gone. I guess they sold out. Now the cheapest is from J&R for $1399. Too bad I would have pulled the trigger for that Blackbook deal in a heartbeat.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by oexecbmug View Post
stay with your PB and if you need to upgrade - wait for the new PMB this fall.
That's my sense, but I am tempted by the built in iSight.

disposable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2007, 01:11 PM

I ordered mine yesterday. I ordered a Black Macbook 2GB RAM & 200GB HD. I also ordered the Incase SlingPack which should be here any minute. Now all I have to do is wait for my MacBook to come!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
3GB RAM? Once you've put 2Gb in the Macbook what will you do with the other gig? Hope you mean 2Gb there.
Nope. 3 GB

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../53IM2DDR3GBK/

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 01:48 PM

OK, never seen or heard of a MacBook running 3Gb, let us know how it goes.

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 16, 2007, 03:22 PM

I'm so glad I pulled the trigger two weeks ago and purchased a black MacBook when I did. My gut was telling me that this was going to likely be a very underwhelming upgrade and sure enough Apple released minor upgrades to their machines. I saved over $150 and was able to avoid the hassle of purchasing the computer online and got mine in a local store. The machine is pixel perfect, which for me is the most important factor when purchasing a new laptop (dead or stuck pixels drive me nuts!) So buying anywhere online was out of the question. I was originally going to wait for this update and purchase a base model white MacBook, but this deal was too sweet to pass up. I always had my eye on the black MacBook, but couldn't justify the premium Apple was charging. The savings were too sweet to pass up.

I hope everyone else is able to find what they're looking for. Act soon, as new last generation black models are getting harder to track down with each passing day.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 16, 2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by disposable View Post
I ordered mine yesterday. I ordered a Black Macbook 2GB RAM & 200GB HD. I also ordered the Incase SlingPack which should be here any minute. Now all I have to do is wait for my MacBook to come!
I've always been curious what people do when they order a custom-configured Apple notebook, and they end up with a couple dead or stuck pixels on their screen. Is this something that many people just accept? Aren't these machines non-refundable?
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
OK, never seen or heard of a MacBook running 3Gb, let us know how it goes.
The graphics performance goes... way downhill.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The graphics performance goes... way downhill.
Citation? Graphics performance in what, specifically?

Edit: MacBook Memory Performance Testing - 512MB to 2.0GB, Pairs vs. non-Pairs at OtherWorldComputing.com

Hmmm...

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2007, 04:52 PM

I ordered the "old" black macbook from Amazon yesterday. Glad I waited..saved $300.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 07:37 PM

Citation? Graphics performance in what, specifically?
Games, pro apps, anything demanding graphics performance.

M is matched, U is unmatched. MacBook has the same graphics chip as the Mac mini.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 07:54 PM

Games, pro apps, anything demanding graphics performance.

M is matched, U is unmatched. MacBook has the same graphics chip as the Mac mini.
While you were slightly right about graphics taking a hit (see my link above; and note that it doesn't necessarily go "way downhill," but rather slows in 3D and PS+iT[visualizer], speeds up elsewhere), this graph has nothing to do with 3GB of RAM.

Mac mini cannot have 3GB of RAM because it's not Core 2 Duo.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 08:55 PM

While you were slightly right about graphics taking a hit (see my link above; and note that it doesn't necessarily go "way downhill," but rather slows in 3D and PS+iT[visualizer], speeds up elsewhere), this graph has nothing to do with 3GB of RAM.
You'll see the same performance shift with 3GB as 1.25GB.

Mac mini cannot have 3GB of RAM because it's not Core 2 Duo.
The mini can't have 3GB because Apple says so, it has nothing to do with the CPU.

Panzer  (op)
Forum Regular
May 16, 2007, 10:39 PM

So it didn't ship until 28 hours after I ordered on the 15th :/
Ship date
May 16, 2007
Estimated delivery
May 17, 2007

Yes I'm too lazy to drive 5 miles to the Apple store. Don't steal if from my porch guys...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 04:16 PM

You'll see the same performance shift with 3GB as 1.25GB.
The performance change isn't as dramatic in the OWC tests. You're comparing Fujis to Granny Smiths.

The mini can't have 3GB because Apple says so, it has nothing to do with the CPU.
OWC tried installing 3GB on a regular Core Duo (Mac mini) and it was not successful.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 04:33 PM

OWC tried installing 3GB on a regular Core Duo (Mac mini) and it was not successful.
Same deal with my parent's Core Duo iMac... the chipset (945PM/GM) supports 4GB RAM, but Apple gimps it to 2 in the firmware.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby View Post
I've always been curious what people do when they order a custom-configured Apple notebook, and they end up with a couple dead or stuck pixels on their screen. Is this something that many people just accept? Aren't these machines non-refundable?
Yes the are refundable. About the only thing that Apple sells that isn't is an engraved iPod.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 06:07 PM

Apple Sales and Refunds Policy

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

1. Product that is custom configured to your specifications
2. Opened memory
3. Opened software*
4. Electronic software downloads
5. Personalized iPods
6. Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
7. Apple Gift Cards
8. Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
9. Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

*You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.

disposable
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
So it didn't ship until 28 hours after I ordered on the 15th :/
Ship date
May 16, 2007
Estimated delivery
May 17, 2007

Yes I'm too lazy to drive 5 miles to the Apple store. Don't steal if from my porch guys...
Lucky...
I ordered mine on the 15th too, but has not shipped or anything.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
May 17, 2007, 07:55 PM

My BlackBook is arriving next Tuesday, and my 2 GB of RAM sometime after that. Sayonara, Mac mini and iBook (I still need to keep one of them, though, cuz I don't want to install my printer and scanner drivers until I get my all-in-one, which would probably be in September. D
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 10:53 AM

I've got one today. White 2.16GHz with 2GB RAM, just migrated my G4 over to it. All good so far .

delm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2007, 07:47 AM

My 13" lap is only 1 mon old and mac comes out with an upgrade. I did not want wait for tiger so I bought now. I was told any upgrade's would be on the 17" (ya right). I did the same thing two years ago when I got my G5. Mac again upgraded just after I bought. I think mac watches me and waits (spooky). Next time, I am going to wait. The ipod system is headed for the laps and thats when I will buy. I wounder if mac is wise to my next move.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2007, 11:28 AM

The company is called Apple. They make a computer called Mac.

Anybody on this board could have told you that the MBs were about to get an update. OTOH you were lucky since the update was very low-key. An additional 8% CPU clock is not something you'll notice in everyday work.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2007, 06:10 PM

Apple Sales and Refunds Policy

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

1. Product that is custom configured to your specifications
2. Opened memory
3. Opened software*
4. Electronic software downloads
5. Personalized iPods
6. Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
7. Apple Gift Cards
8. Apple Gift Packaging (origami style gift box with ribbon and greeting card)
9. Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)

*You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.
They do not follow that for sure. You can see evidence of that in quite a few threads here of people who have returned custom ordered Macs. I'm pretty sure my dad has done it as well.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
May 21, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The company is called Apple. They make a computer called Mac.

Anybody on this board could have told you that the MBs were about to get an update. OTOH you were lucky since the update was very low-key. An additional 8% CPU clock is not something you'll notice in everyday work.

Yeah, but the extra 20GB in hard drive capacity will be noticed greatly.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2007, 06:13 PM

It does make me curious as to why they did the standard HD size upgrade. That's one thing that nobody was really complaining about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules