Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Do you turn off your machine?

Do you turn off your machine? (Page 2)
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 03:11 PM

The reason I now turn off my iMac is the darn great pulsating lamp Apple chose to place on the front when it's in 'sleep' mode. As I have it in my bedroom you could almost read buy it.
As an additional to this, Has anyone seen this (I don't know if there is a US version) it's a powerstrip that automatically powers down the 'peripheral' sockets just after it detects the, PC has been powered off (or put in sleep mode), bringing them back on when the PC is powered back up.

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 03:21 PM

I have a Rev A G5 Dualie and it hasn't been off for 5 years. No problems.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme; 4 Gb RAM
OS X (10.5.6); Grado SR 60 & RS1 headphones; HeadRoom headphone amp w/ Astrodyne power supply

murphy245
Aug 2, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
My Mini Has been up 45 days without a reboot... still going strong.. my linux box has been up 177 days 3 hours 2 minutes without a restart. I have an old lime green G3 iMac that has been up for going on 240 days running OS X Server.. its connected to a UPS
how do you know how long your macs have been on for? is their a way of finding out? id love to know.

voth
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by murphy245 View Post
how do you know how long your macs have been on for? is their a way of finding out? id love to know.
You can open terminal and type 'uptime', it should return how long your machine has been on. There are of course other gui applications that will do the same thing, just use google or wait for someone to tell you what application they are using.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2007, 08:44 PM

I only turn my G5DP off when out of town. I use the thing a lot, and backups are scheduled for a time I know I won't be awake, and the system does certain housekeeping task early in the morning, and I see no reason to wait for boot up when I can just 'be there now'.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 11:44 PM

I turn my G5 off only when I know I will not be using it for several days. I also turn off the speakers connected to it. Other than that it only gets turned off when I'm installing new components/RAM, and it gets put to sleep whenever not in use.

My old G3 laptop stays off most of the time. I usually turn it on once a week to download the latest updates from Ubuntu. If there are Apple updates I put them on then as well.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 03:30 AM

not since one millions years ago.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2007, 03:48 AM

Never.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
the system does certain housekeeping task early in the morning, and I see no reason to wait for boot up when I can just 'be there now'.
The 'housekeeping' scripts don't run while the system is in sleep mode anyway.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2007, 07:50 AM

Since Tiger, housekeeping scripts (which aren't strictly necessary for a smooth running machine either) are run whenever next the computer is on, whether that be from sleep or from being turned on.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2007, 12:52 PM

House-off Switch by Jack Godfrey Wood � Yanko Design

This is cool though - a 'whole house' switch, that turns everything except what you designate as 'essential' off with one switch.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
House-off Switch by Jack Godfrey Wood � Yanko Design

This is cool though - a 'whole house' switch, that turns everything except what you designate as 'essential' off with one switch.
It's a great concept, but would require ether a ton of extra low voltage 'switching' wiring to be added to the house, or additional ring main cable & sockets for the 'not to be tuned off' stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules