Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Next iMacs to get redesigned?

Next iMacs to get redesigned? (Page 7)
ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 08:18 PM

I am wondering of people who have waited this long for the iMac update, and if it does come before leopard, will just wait till leopard comes out to get it?
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ESavage View Post
I am wondering of people who have waited this long for the iMac update, and if it does come before leopard, will just wait till leopard comes out to get it?
That's what I'd personally recommend. I also wonder when the new iLife will street.

Then again, Leopard 10.5.0 is bound to have some significant bugs, and it might actually be safer to go with 10.4.11 or whatever, if you have a lot of peripherals or other stuff that might have problems with 10.5.0.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 02:23 AM

Then your better off waiting a little longer until Leopard 10.5.4 is released.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 01:23 AM

when is leopard again? October?

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Jul 13, 2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by PhotoBug View Post
when is leopard again? October?
Supposedly the 31st to november technically

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2007, 08:59 AM

Hello, tomorrow.

The biggest Mac OS X upgrade ever, Leopard features 300+ innovations.
Explore the Mac of the future today. Arriving in October.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 07:36 PM

haha ok so October.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2007, 05:57 AM

I would love the all new singing & dancing iMac's to include; quad-core, 802.11n & Wi-Fi-max, HD iSight, Multi-touch screens, more RAM & the anticipated HD & BD (BlueRay) media-driver.

For the Multi-touch screen would not mean doing away with the keyboard! It will if sensitive to be able to perform has Graphics-tablet, this maybe made to order option for those who hate hearing about this tech.
And in the case of your only keyboard breaking you'll have the on-screen keyboard until your new keyboard arrives! Yes I know there are still questions on the ergonomics of such a UI plus the coast of implementation.
More powerfull CPU's for those who use iMac's in DTP & Media, a new Flash-drive media but this is still way-off with also the fight between HD & BlueRay tied to Disk-technology.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=75632

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
I would love the all new singing & dancing iMac's to include; quad-core, 802.11n & Wi-Fi-max, HD iSight, Multi-touch screens, more RAM & the anticipated HD & BD (BlueRay) media-driver.
I expect to see none of the above, except the latter.

However, the latter (HD DVD and Blu-ray support... for external drives) will come as part of Leopard, not as something inherent to the iMac.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2007, 01:16 PM

Im hoping they update the Macpro as well with the option of putting in a BlueRay or HDDVD drives.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 06:36 PM

Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.6 GHz X7800 Announced:

Intel Corporation today introduced its first Intel Core2 Extreme mobile dual-core processor ( link )

Macrumors.com however says "There is no hard evidence yet that Apple will use Intel's latest chip in its computers."

I guess only time will tell.
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2007, 07:43 PM

The C2E power is probably OK for the iMac enclosure (which handled the 50W G5s, albeit with a bit more noise), but the C2E price makes it very very unlikely to appear in an iMac (at $851 just for the CPU).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2007, 09:40 PM

I had a G5 iMac 2.0 970FX. It was considerably louder than my iMac C2D 2.33. That said, the G5 iMac was pretty quiet, at least with basic usage. OTOH, the iMac is pretty much silent, even at full tilt.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2007, 09:56 PM

Of course there is no evidence Apple will use them. There never is. But Apple isn't stupid. Of course they will use something.

Apple likes to surprise and disappoint. In 18 months, there has only been two revisions of the Intel version of the iMac and both were copies of the previous two versions of the G5 iMac. Lately, they've been disappointingly slow in updates or price cuts.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2007, 01:15 AM

Product iMac
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release September 06, 2006
Days Since Update 314 (Avg = 168)

Recent Rumors
07/16: Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.6 GHz X7800 Announced
07/09: New Apple Keyboard Coming With iMac Refresh
07/06: Brushed Aluminum iMacs in August?
06/21: iMac, iPhone References Found In Mac OS 10.4.10 Update
06/18: 20" and 24" iMacs Due Mid-to-Late Summer
06/10: Worldwide Developers Conference 2007 Rumor Roundup
06/07: Brushed Aluminum iMac at WWDC?
06/06: No iMac Updates at WWDC?
05/23: Analyst: MacBook Pro, iMacs at WWDC?
05/21: iMac Update Slated For Late June

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 03:41 AM

I'm not at all expecting to see Apple try to cram the $851 X7800 into the iMac while they could switch to the more powerful Conroe while saving a lot of money. For example a 2.66 GHz E6750 costs $183. Not to mention the E6850 running at 3 GHz on a 1.33 GHz FSB for a mere $266.

Obviously the E6x50's 65W TDP is higher than the X7800's 44 W. OTOH we're expecting an iMac design change (aluminum case for better heat dissipation?). If they'd be designing a new box to go from 35 W to 44 W, why not go the whole way and save $600 in component cost while you're at it?
( Last edited by Simon; Jul 17, 2007 at 03:49 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2007, 11:45 AM

Personally I think Apple is going to stick with laptop chips, but will ignore the Xxxxx Extreme series of chips.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Personally I think Apple is going to stick with laptop chips, but will ignore the Xxxxx Extreme series of chips.
I agree. I'd really like to see Apple switch to Conroe/Kentsfield, but I'm pretty certain it won't happen. They could of course also launch another desktop Mac... And we've had that discussion dozens of times already.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 04:13 PM

for whats it worth I did not think that Apple would use the X7800 myself, just thoughtg I would bring it up. However we may not have long to wait, Think Secret is saying that "August 7 for new iMac" ( Link ) and thats only a couple of weeks away.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2007, 08:15 PM

I am surprized that no one posted this yet. I say fake. Apple left it for too long on display to be real.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
I am surprized that no one posted this yet. I say fake. Apple left it for too long on display to be real.
Well, FWIW, the new iMac is likely coming August 7.

Think Secret's prediction from July 16 was right.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2007, 03:16 AM

Well, FWIW, the new iMac is likely coming August 7.

Think Secret's prediction from July 16 was right.
Yes, it seems so. Or rather it is a given now. We will also see if the keyboard pictures were real. Although I initially thought them to be fake, after thinking again about I changed my mind. So, next week.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 11:21 PM

I'd love to see an iMac with an option for a second hard drive. I don't expect it, but it's a (small) possibility.
I'd also love to see an iMac with 4 memory slots. I don't expect it, but it's a (small) possibility.

I'd also love to see an iMac with a 30" screen option, but I highly doubt it. Alternatively, I could buy a second 24" screen for around CAD$499 and use dual screens. The main annoyance on my current 24" Core2Duo iMac is being forced to scrap one of my 1 GB sticks to for a new 2 GB, and losing dual channel capability. Anyone run benches on the iMac comparing 2 GB vs. 3 GB? 3 GB would likely be faster in most things I do (except possibly video encoding), because the main limitation for me is total memory size, but still, 4 memory slots would be nice.

Who-da thought that 2 GB is too little on a consumer machine so soon. Maybe if Safari didn't eat so much memory...

And yeah, I look forward to the new design...

P.S. Anyone have a live link to the keyboard photos?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2007, 02:54 AM

P.S. Anyone have a live link to the keyboard photos?
Here you go.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2007, 07:22 AM

Thx. That's pretty spiffy, but I must say my favourite keyboard is still that loud clickety-clackity IBM keyboard from the 80s. That by far had the best feel IMO.

I'm 100% sure that a laptop-like keyboard like the one pictured wouldn't have a feel anything like that, and probably wouldn't be superior to even the current iMac keyboard (which is just OK).

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 08:15 AM

Thx. That's pretty spiffy, but I must say my favourite keyboard is still that loud clickety-clackity IBM keyboard from the 80s. That by far had the best feel IMO.

I'm 100% sure that a laptop-like keyboard like the one pictured wouldn't have a feel anything like that, and probably wouldn't be superior to even the current iMac keyboard (which is just OK).
Those old keyboards were a slice of heaven. And they were built like a lead pipe, too.

I was in Best Buy and saw a Sony that looked like a mockup of the next iMac. The keyboard is flat and the keys looked very much like the photos you've seen. My opinion on the system is neutral, but hoping Apple makes it better.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2007, 09:32 AM

Those keyboards were the best!

Deep depression upon contact, the satisfying tactile and aural feedback...you not only knew you were typing, but actually getting something done!

Mongoos150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post

For the Multi-touch screen would not mean doing away with the keyboard! It will if sensitive to be able to perform has Graphics-tablet, this maybe made to order option for those who hate hearing about this tech.
And in the case of your only keyboard breaking you'll have the on-screen keyboard until your new keyboard arrives! Yes I know there are still questions on the ergonomics of such a UI plus the coast of implementation.
More powerfull CPU's for those who use iMac's in DTP & Media, a new Flash-drive media but this is still way-off with also the fight between HD & BlueRay tied to Disk-technology.

Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer - AppleInsider
I'm sorry, but this seems just plain dumb. Why on Earth would we want Multitouch on a desktop machine?! On my iPhone it makes sense - it's a great way to interface with a pocketable device - but with a desktop computer, the best tools - a keyboard and mouse - are all we need. I wouldn't want to be reaching up to mess around with touching the screen of my mac on my desk to perform functions?! I can't see one useful application for a touchscreen iMac. Unless it's being used at a restaurant as a POS terminal (like we've all seen), where a touchscreen is nice for quick order placement and ticket printing. At home, office, production lab, whatever - why?!

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
It has been mentioned for quite a while here: http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...imac-keyboard/
24" iMac 2.16GHz C2D

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 10:57 PM

When the iMac is released tomorrow, it will have been 336 days (48 weeks) since the last update. That's exactly twice the average period between updates.

BTW, Think Secret states that pricing will begin at US$1199, which it takes as a confirmation that the 17" will be dropped. TS also states the 24" will drop to $1799.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 10:09 AM

Hoe they do a Leopard release date announcement along with them, and a buy a new iMac, get Leopard on release. Without such announcement and if it's as good looking as the keyboard sort of suggests, I am just going the have to keep clear of the local Apple store & other stockists to stop any sort of temptation.
because buying one now then an upgrade to Leopard later in the year would be just dumb.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 10:26 AM

Why should Apple sell you an iMac with Tiger now and give you a free Leopard in October?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Why should Apple sell you an iMac with Tiger now and give you a free Leopard in October?
Usually if you buy a Mac after the release date is announced you can get the announced OS for a 'shipping' charge. Granted it's a bit longer between now and Oct then the usual time frame.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 06:28 PM

edit: wrong thread

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 06:30 PM

Daveninja just picked up 2 today at the sacramento store.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
...Granted it's a bit longer between now and Oct then the usual time frame.
Bingo.

That's precisely the point. Apple won't give away freebies now when the product in question won't arrive till sometime in October. There's actually not even a launch date yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules