Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > is this a good digital camera?

is this a good digital camera?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 08:43 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1170290767246

I have a sony DSC-W7 which is decent, but it's far to bulky can barely fit it in my jeans pocket. I'm looking for something slim that takes decent photos. The price on this one is great too.

I've never owned anything by casio except cheap watches and calculators as a kid.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Railroader
Banned
Aug 19, 2007, 08:52 PM

What do your instincts tell you about such a cheap camera?

What do you plan on using the camera for? If you want simple 4x6 snapshots that you will have printed out at the local drugstore, then I imagine for the price that the camera is perfect.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 08:57 PM

Well it is on clearance, I believe it was normally around $200 dollars. Will the pics be as good as my Sony DSC-W7? all I want is a camera that takes decent blur free pics, and is small enough to carry in my front pocket.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Remxed
Aug 19, 2007, 09:16 PM

what's your price range?

If you want less blurry pictures, canon point and shoot cameras have Image Stabilizer which helps a lot. But those are a bit more expensive.. almost in the entry level dslr range.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 09:17 PM

I was looking for 150 or less, is there another camera you'd reccomend?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 09:32 PM

It’s a camera in the 7 MP Range like your other one so the images they take may be comparable. Today’s digital cameras take blur free pics if there’s some light and you’re not shaking them. Cameras with proprietary Li-Ion batteries like that Casio one are usually a little smaller like the ones using standard cells, and the size of the EX-Z700 is 88.5(W) × 57(H) × 20.5(D) mm (3.48"(W) × 2.2"(H) × 0.81"(D)) (excluding projections; 18.6mm (0.73") at thinnest part). What’s the size of your front pocket?

-

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2007, 09:35 PM

Spend $50 more and get a Canon.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 19, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Spend $50 more and get a Canon.
Good advice.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 09:39 PM

Oh yes, I love my Canon too. Casio makes decent pocket calculators though.

-

zerostar
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2007, 09:53 PM

I also had a DSC-W7, Just upgraded to a DSC-W90 for mostly portability reasons and its a great camera and awesome pictures. Spend the money if quality is your main concern. Its hard to find a cheap cam that takes pics as good as the DSC-W models, I started at a DSC-W5 and the quality in every condition is just amazing, never a bad photo on that thing, the W7 was more of the same quality, the W90 is great and comes in a smaller package with less delay and an amazing battery.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 09:59 PM

Casio cameras are best for just capturing snapshots I've noted. If you want something that can take good quality landscapes and things like that, look elsewhere. But if it is just something you want to carry around to take pictures of interesting things you come across, it should be fine/

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 10:49 PM

I'd save up a little more and get a Canon. You can't go wrong with Canon.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2007, 10:52 PM

1. When buying a digital camera, check out Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ first.

2. Don't buy a Canon just because. Canon makes good cameras without a doubt, but in the point and shoot market Fuji currently outperforms everything there is.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
1. When buying a digital camera, check out Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ first.

2. Don't buy a Canon just because. Canon makes good cameras without a doubt, but in the point and shoot market Fuji currently outperforms everything there is.
I don't agree about the Fuji comment. They just introduced image stabilization in many of their point and shoot cameras. Canon has had it for years. Also, most professionals will say that Canon has superior image processors. The DIGIC III in the SD850 comes from their DSLR line...

I'm not saying Fuji isn't good, but I would still pick a Canon over one if you can afford the bump. Build quality alone would do it for me.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2007, 11:45 PM

I wouldn't touch a Casio with a ten foot pole. When I used to sell digital cameras, the Casios always came back, either broken or people were very unhappy with the lousy colors in their pics. Anything put out by Canon is going to do a better job.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 01:46 AM

That looks like an old model.
You should type in the name and model number on yahoo and read the reviews, they look mostly good. Casio has an updated version of that you should check out.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2007, 09:49 AM

This is one of the reasons that the lounge is dying. It isn't a Macintosh related question, so therefore it should be in the lounge.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 01:44 PM

Now if there was a lounge for serious questions and another for kidding around ...

-

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Good advice.
3rd that... canon compact cameras are by far the best
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2007, 04:38 PM

My only advice on a buying a compact camera is to avoid ones with 'proprietary' batteries.
The ones that use standard AA's aint' that much larger
First if you are somewhere using your camera and the battery dies you can pick up a pack of AA's anywhere. Second when the fancy Li-Ion pack gives up and stops taking change the replacement part is never cheap, and without a battery the cameras used value is less then nil.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I don't agree about the Fuji comment. They just introduced image stabilization in many of their point and shoot cameras. Canon has had it for years. Also, most professionals will say that Canon has superior image processors. The DIGIC III in the SD850 comes from their DSLR line...

I'm not saying Fuji isn't good, but I would still pick a Canon over one if you can afford the bump. Build quality alone would do it for me.
I like my Canon way better than my Fujifilm, and my Canon's 4 years older.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 02:58 AM

…It isn't a Macintosh related question…
you sure?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
you sure?

Haha... thats quite amusing. Saying it works with a mac isnt such a big deal as saying it works with windows or vista.... its like stating the obvious!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Railroader
Banned
Aug 21, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
you sure?

[img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8281/exz75gs3.jpg[img]
Yup. Unless the camera has only built in memory, it will work with a Mac. Plus, the OP didn't state he wanted a camera that work specifically with a Mac because most intelligent people know it will.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
I wouldn't touch a Casio with a ten foot pole. When I used to sell digital cameras, the Casios always came back, either broken or people were very unhappy with the lousy colors in their pics. Anything put out by Canon is going to do a better job.
You may be right, but my experience has been different. A friend let me borrow his Exilim for the weekend - the pseudo-professional looking one with the large lens that has since been discontinued apparently. He had been really pleased with it, and photos it took were beautiful.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules