Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hack To Dim The iMac's Sleep Light

Hack To Dim The iMac's Sleep Light
ncmason
Aug 22, 2007, 06:21 PM

Every night (when I'm trying to sleep) I see the bright light that appears on my iMac. Is there a hack (that won't void my warranty) to disable the light?

Thanks,
Mason

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
s there a hack (that won't void my warranty) to disable the light?

Thanks,
Mason
See that little apple in the left hand corner? Click on that, then "shut down", and then when a dialog window comes up, click on the button labeled "shut down".

You are welcome.
Railoader

ncmason
Aug 22, 2007, 06:30 PM

I have been a Mac user for many years and yes I know that I can shut down my Mac, but I prefer to have it ready so when I get up, it's up.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
I have been a Mac user for many years and yes I know that I can shut down my Mac, but I prefer to have it ready so when I get up, it's up.
Then you should use the energy saver control panel to have it turn on right before you wake up.

Sorry I can't help you with the hack, but I'd rather shut down my computer than use a hack if I were you.

ibook_steve
Aug 22, 2007, 06:45 PM

Surprisingly, this gets asked way too often on these forums. Here is a simple cheap solution:

(drum roll)

Use a sticky note.

Problem solved.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2007, 07:12 PM

Steve, people are going to ask how you get a Widget to hide the sleep light!

He means "an actual 'Post-It'-sytle note over the light." You're welcome.

And I'm with Railroader on this. Turning off the computer makes it quite dark, saves a few watts overnight, and can't be a serious hindrance to getting started the next morning. It takes my iMac seconds to boot, my wife's iBook only a little bit more; I certainly can't be the only person that likes to go to the bathroom first thing after getting up!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ncmason
Aug 22, 2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I have tried the post-it note thing and it didn't work too well. I guess I'll go with the option to just shut it down and wait the extra few seconds for it to boot up. To clear things up a bit, I'm not a new Mac user and am aware of what a sticky note is (not the widget).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 10:23 PM

Set your Mac to automatically boot when your alarm clock goes off. There are a couple of small apps that will mute the volume when you shutdown, and restore it when after the boot is complete, so the Mac's "Bong!" doesn't wake you up when it auto-starts.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 04:19 AM

Use some white electricians tape and place it over the light....
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 04:32 AM

Stick duct tape on it, put it in a drawer or JUST TURN IT AROUND. The best solution is like Railroader said, to turn it off! The simplest “hack”! It is possible! I am not sorry for your helplessness!

-

Railroader
Banned
Aug 23, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Set your Mac to automatically boot when your alarm clock goes off. There are a couple of small apps that will mute the volume when you shutdown, and restore it when after the boot is complete, so the Mac's "Bong!" doesn't wake you up when it auto-starts.
Ahem...
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Then you should use the energy saver control panel to have it turn on right before you wake up.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2007, 01:32 PM

Blue Tac ?

Black paint ?

Little Teddy !

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Railroader
Banned
Aug 23, 2007, 04:13 PM

Gummi Bears?

P
Aug 23, 2007, 05:44 PM

You're all being hilarious.

Google turned up this site. It's a disassembly guide, and the front panel comes off quite early. You might try it and put something on the inside of the panel to dim the light, or just do something nasty to the diode that is peeking out through the black plastic bag.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2007, 06:33 PM

Sell it, buy a new iMac (as long as you can live with the new LCD)

The new iMac's don have a power/sleep light. Yes the old one was bright, sticking things over it doesn't really work as the light 'defuses' through the perspex/polycarbonate

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2007, 08:27 PM

Ok, I think that not only has the OP's question been answered (see his last post above) but we've all had a bit of fun with the issue at the OP's expense. Show's over, go about your business... Nothing to see here, citizens.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules