Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows vs Mac: Detailed Experiment

Windows vs Mac: Detailed Experiment
abenzick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 03:40 AM

So, I'm a long time Windows user who has never owned a Mac. I've set out to find out what the Mac is all about and if the saying of "It just works." really holds true. Start at the beginning and follow my journey into the world of Apple.

Mac Myth: Does it really just work?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 08:26 AM

Wow, a new user simply asking members to view their site? You can do better than that. How about asking a few questions before asking for site traffic?

If you didn't have any questions then I guess its true, "It just works."

Chito
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 09:05 AM

I'm wondering just how impartial this "journey" is going to be. The site name starts with Mac Myth....looks to me like your mind may already be made up.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sörnäinen
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2007, 09:39 AM

Well, i would not have imagined this reaction when i read the thread title. :-)
Did too many people use this forum for promotional reasons, or why is your reaction so harsh? :-O

abenzick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2007, 11:48 AM

Well, it seems like my title of "Mac Myth?" is not making people happy but to be fair, from a hard-core Windows user perspective and someone who has never owned a Mac the advertising slogan of "It just works" sounds like it's too good to be true. As a current Mac user, you are looking at it from the other side of the fence. I haven't seen what the Mac is all about yet!

My iMac should be delivered this week so I am sure I will have questions then!

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2007, 01:33 PM

Well, good luck with your journey and ditto to getting your first Mac.

If you're out to find out whether the Mac "just works", you can as well stop your journey right now. Nothing "just works" in the world of computing and OSes, ever, does it? I'd find it much more interesting (if I were still a Windows user) to see your experiences with working on the Mac and Mac OSX. It might help fellow switchers in spe.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 01:59 PM

The other point is that you will be starting with loads of previous Windows experience. So it's likely that your concept of 'just working' will be coloured by that knowledge.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2007, 03:14 PM

You'll see how very different and superior the Mac Way is soon enough. I say that with experience, too - I now know how the other side feels after experiencing XP for a year. Windows remains vastly inferior and will probably always be so; I would never, ever, ever, depend on Windows the way I depend on OS X or trust a PC the way I trust my Mac. In fact, although I will always dislike Apple's transition to x86, my next laptop will likely be a Mactel so that I'll be able to run the few professional apps I need in Windows and do everything else in OS X. Windows use is never enjoyable to me, and I'm always concerned when I'm using it that I'm a few steps away from disaster that will require me to reformat my drive. By comparison, my Macs have always been a joy.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 27, 2007 at 03:26 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Aug 27, 2007, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
In fact, although I will always dislike Apple's transition to x86
That point of view is completely illogical.

Sörnäinen
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
That point of view is completely illogical.
Well, it has to be illogical - it´s more an emotional issue.

I liked my macs because there was no Intel inside, it was a completely different architecture somehow, that was some kind of "Magic", and of course there is no logic in this point of view. :-)

Perhaps it´s the same with BigMac.

Cold Warrior
Aug 27, 2007, 04:28 PM

If we like magic that is slower, less advanced, and nearly abandoned in the PC market. Sadly, that was the route the PowerPC architecture took -- not Apple's fault. Thankfully it saw the writing on the wall; it planned and executed a graceful transition. Today, sales and performance are exceptional.

Sörnäinen
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If we like magic that is slower, less advanced, and nearly abandoned in the PC market. Sadly, that was the route the PowerPC architecture took -- not Apple's fault. Thankfully it saw the writing on the wall; it planned and executed a graceful transition. Today, sales and performance are exceptional.
True. But just very logical, and of course the "think different" is part of the Apple success. But just as it looks now, the OS and the design are enough to keep the company being outstanding.

I just wanted to explain the reason for illogical comments, thats all.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2007, 04:27 PM

My G3 Clamshell didn't need a fan.

It also made a damn good home web server for 5 years until the Hard disk started to die.
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

auxlepli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 04:57 PM

The set-up for my Mac was far easier than the two PC's I owned and the numerous ones I've had to set up at work. So from that stand point, my Mac just worked. In addition it has just worked anytime I've needed it to, again unlike any PC I've EVER used.

SpencerLavery
Aug 31, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hey don't give the guy such a hard time, this post at the beginning clearly shows that he's not biased toward Windows:

Hello, my name is Aaron and I'm a Windows user. I've been a Microsoft user for 20 years across several different types of hardware devices. I'm pretty proficient with all things Microsoft and I just simply understand Windows.

So what's going on?

I'm tired. I'm tired of error messages, compatibility problems, upgrades and supporting computers in general. Why? I don't know. Is it because the Windows platform specifically requires constant tinkering and configuring to operate smoothly? That is the question and in order to answer it I am going to take a serious look at the competition and find out if the Mac slogan of "It just works better" is a myth or not.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2007, 05:33 PM

There are going to be some things that annoy you being so accustomed to Windows. The fact you can't cut/paste files still annoys me, for example.

But on the whole, I'm very happy with the switch- you just have to go into it with an open mind and be willing to give it a fair chance.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by abenzick View Post
Well, it seems like my title of "Mac Myth?" is not making people happy but to be fair, from a hard-core Windows user perspective and someone who has never owned a Mac the advertising slogan of "It just works" sounds like it's too good to be true. As a current Mac user, you are looking at it from the other side of the fence. I haven't seen what the Mac is all about yet!

My iMac should be delivered this week so I am sure I will have questions then!

Of course "it just works" is just a marketing slogan, were you really taking this literally? Why would anybody who has ever touched a computer take this literally?

Just teasing...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 06:27 PM

FYI, version 2 of the Microsoft RDP client is beta, version 1 is stable. There are several other RDP clients for the Mac as well, primarily ports of Linux versions.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You'll see how very different and superior the Mac Way is soon enough. I say that with experience, too - I now know how the other side feels after experiencing XP for a year. Windows remains vastly inferior and will probably always be so; I would never, ever, ever, depend on Windows the way I depend on OS X or trust a PC the way I trust my Mac. In fact, although I will always dislike Apple's transition to x86, my next laptop will likely be a Mactel so that I'll be able to run the few professional apps I need in Windows and do everything else in OS X. Windows use is never enjoyable to me, and I'm always concerned when I'm using it that I'm a few steps away from disaster that will require me to reformat my drive. By comparison, my Macs have always been a joy.
Why not settle for the latest revision G4 PowerBook to run Windows on when you dislike the transition to x86? There's VirtualPC7 for that purpose.

Oooooh... wait..I get it. You would like to get native speeds(or near native speeds) when using Windows and your prof. apps !!!

So what's really wrong with Apple's transition to the x86 platform? mmm.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2007, 04:08 AM

"Thank God Apple finally saw the writing on the wall and moved to be compatible and consistent with the rest of the computing industry and has now transitioned to installing Windows as the default OS on all Macs..."

Oops, posted that too early!

Sorry!
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
"Thank God Apple finally saw the writing on the wall and moved to be compatible and consistent with the rest of the computing industry and has now transitioned to installing Windows as the default OS on all Macs..."

Oops, posted that too early!

Sorry!
I see no problem in taking advantage of hardware that is available, proven, and because it's made in huge quantities more affordable. The superiority of *nix-based operating systems is in itself a huge advantage for users of such operating systems-if you compare the level of hassles, susceptibility to viruses, and other negatives tied directly to the Windows OS lines to the same variables with any *nix-based OS, you see things as either "go with what 'everybody else does', or "get things done without headaches."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2007, 11:42 AM

That was why I apologised.

I spoke too early. When Apple does it, it will be a brilliant move, not before.

Nevertheless I have my matches ready to apply to yet another wad of money for yet another Apple U-turn.
( Last edited by rubaiyat; Sep 1, 2007 at 12:29 PM. )
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 05:18 PM

Hello, my name is Aaron and I'm a Windows user.
Isn't that how they introduce themselves at AA meetings?

Anyhoo, it's always good to acknowledge that you have a problem. That's half the battle. And now that you have an iMac, you'll soon be well.

abenzick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Isn't that how they introduce themselves at AA meetings?

Anyhoo, it's always good to acknowledge that you have a problem. That's half the battle. And now that you have an iMac, you'll soon be well.
Nice! haha

Well, my Mac has showed up and I am very impressed with things. I will continue updating my blog with my experiences.

Johnny Niles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
There are going to be some things that annoy you being so accustomed to Windows. The fact you can't cut/paste files still annoys me, for example.
You can cut and paste files. Are you sure you've actually tried it? Are you using Command-C and Command-V to copy and paste, and not Control-C and Control-V?
Of course it's faster to just drag files where you want them. If you want to copy a file, hold down Option while dragging it, and it will copy instead of move. With Exposé and spring loaded folders, there's no reason you should copy and paste files in OS X. It's always going to be faster to drag them where you want them.

Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Niles View Post
You can cut and paste files. Are you sure you've actually tried it? Are you using Command-C and Command-V to copy and paste, and not Control-C and Control-V?
Of course it's faster to just drag files where you want them. If you want to copy a file, hold down Option while dragging it, and it will copy instead of move. With Exposé and spring loaded folders, there's no reason you should copy and paste files in OS X. It's always going to be faster to drag them where you want them.
That is copy and pasting, not cut and pasting.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 06:14 PM

Even though I'm a long time Mac user, I find the lack of cut/paste with files puzzling.

Yes, I understand the logic and how there's been so many threads about why it goes against the grain of the interface specifications but still it is sooo useful.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Niles
You cannot cut and paste files on OS X- I had this conversation a few months ago. People think that Microsoft's implementation doesn't accurately fit the definition of cut and paste. Why it can't be called "smart move" or "smart paste" to make it acceptable, I don't know.

And no, it is not faster to just drag files where I want them. Say I want to move a file from /users/shinji/Documents/whatever/ to a subdirectory on an external drive. I shouldn't have to hold down anything while dragging and spring-loaded-foldering my way through multiple directories. That's a cumbersome, clunky inconvenience that exists in OS X that does not exist in Windows.

Johnny Niles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
That is copy and pasting, not cut and pasting.
Cut and paste = "moving", copy and paste = "copying". Both can be done by dragging.

Originally Posted by shinji
You cannot cut and paste files on OS X- I had this conversation a few months ago. People think that Microsoft's implementation doesn't accurately fit the definition of cut and paste. Why it can't be called "smart move" or "smart paste" to make it acceptable, I don't know.
You can move files in OS X, which is exactly the same thing as "cut and paste", except it only takes one action instead of two.

Originally Posted by shinji
And no, it is not faster to just drag files where I want them. Say I want to move a file from /users/shinji/Documents/whatever/ to a subdirectory on an external drive. I shouldn't have to hold down anything while dragging and spring-loaded-foldering my way through multiple directories. That's a cumbersome, clunky inconvenience that exists in OS X that does not exist in Windows.
So when you cut and paste in Windows, the directory you want to put the file magically opens itself up with no navigation needed? Yeah, in Windows you have to drill down until you get to the file you want, "cut", then close all those windows, open new windows and drill down to the directory you want to put the file. I fail to see how that's less clunky than dragging a file, especially since dragging actually takes less steps to do.

In both cases, using your own example, you have to dig through multiple directories. But in Windows you have the added steps of cutting and pasting, while in OS X you just drag the file over. Cumbersome and clunky? Compared to Windows? Are you trying to make me laugh?

Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 12:26 PM

No, what we're saying is that in Windows you can cut, open your new directory and paste, in OS X, you can drag and hover over tons of spring-loaded folders while you wait for them to slowly open.

And copy pasting cannot be done through dragging. When you copy paste, you leave a copy of the file behind. When you drag, you take the file and move it elsewhere.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2007, 12:40 PM

You can move files in OS X, which is exactly the same thing as "cut and paste", except it only takes one action instead of two
No, it is not exactly the same thing as cut and paste if the shortcuts for cut and paste don't work. Command-line mv is still not the same as cut and paste, nor is drag/drop.

So when you cut and paste in Windows, the directory you want to put the file magically opens itself up with no navigation needed? Yeah, in Windows you have to drill down until you get to the file you want, "cut", then close all those windows, open new windows and drill down to the directory you want to put the file. I fail to see how that's less clunky than dragging a file, especially since dragging actually takes less steps to do.
In Windows, all you have to do is cut and then you can quickly click through to the directory you want. In OS X, you have to drag the file to the external drive, wait for that to open, move the file to a parent directory, wait for that to spring-loaded-open, then if there are a lot of other directories in there you have to keep drag it to the bottom of the window and let it scroll, wait for another spring-loaded-open, and then drop the file in...all of this while holding down command if it's going to an external drive because without doing that, os x defaults to leaving a copy on the original volume. I know you can hit space or increase the speed a spring-loaded folder opens but that's not the point- I don't always want that behavior.

If you are only moving the files between two directories that you already have in front of you...such as from the desktop to another folder on the desktop...sure, that's one simple step. Maybe that is all some people need to do. But more than that and it becomes this annoying, stupid process.

I never thought I'd miss windows explorer, but Finder needs a lot of work, it is the main thing I don't like about OS X. Perhaps Apple recognized that and that's why they redid it in Leopard http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/...es/finder.html though I'm not really crazy about that either.

Ganesha
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
No, it is not exactly the same thing as cut and paste if the shortcuts for cut and paste don't work. Command-line mv is still not the same as cut and paste, nor is drag/drop.
Actually if you DRAG a file into terminal and DROP it, you'll get the pull path to the file or folder. Since, with any GUI filesystem navigator you must start at the object you want to move, you are not adding any extra steps. Then, since presumably you know where you want to copy it to, you can use tab-completion to quickly and accurately fill in the target. One could typing /V(tab)M(tab)U(tab)w(tab)D (path to a folder 5 levels deep) is faster than drilling through a set of folders to get there.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ganesha View Post
Actually if you DRAG a file into terminal and DROP it, you'll get the pull path to the file or folder. Since, with any GUI filesystem navigator you must start at the object you want to move, you are not adding any extra steps. Then, since presumably you know where you want to copy it to, you can use tab-completion to quickly and accurately fill in the target. One could typing /V(tab)M(tab)U(tab)w(tab)D (path to a folder 5 levels deep) is faster than drilling through a set of folders to get there.
Cool tip- did not know you could drag/drop file into terminal and get the full path

Forum Links
Forum Rules