Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I bought an espresso machine, and so should you

I bought an espresso machine, and so should you (Page 2)
gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 09:42 PM

So... French Press bad, huh?

I have a Starbucks barista espresso maker. It works well except the milk wand took *forever* and was incredibly noisy. $150, I probably made enough coffee to break even. Maybe. It's too much hassle to use, what with the cleaning too.

We had a $10K-style unit at my old work, and I miss that bad. It ground; hot milk in a handful of seconds; great coffee.

Am looking for something in between. I like my Lattés so it's got to heat the milk well.

And I want easy to clean.

How about a budget around $300-$500?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by gperks View Post
So... French Press bad, huh?

I have a Starbucks barista espresso maker. It works well except the milk wand took *forever* and was incredibly noisy. $150, I probably made enough coffee to break even. Maybe. It's too much hassle to use, what with the cleaning too.

We had a $10K-style unit at my old work, and I miss that bad. It ground; hot milk in a handful of seconds; great coffee.

Am looking for something in between. I like my Lattés so it's got to heat the milk well.

And I want easy to clean.

How about a budget around $300-$500?
It sounds like you want a superautomatic (grinds, tamps, delivers espresso, steams milk, little to clean). They're also more than twice what you want to pay ($1300).

Search around coffeegeek.com. It's really a great resource. This article in particular will interest you:

CoffeeGeek - How to Buy an Espresso Machine

That article doesn't really say anything about superauto machines, but I think you'll find a lot of good info there.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Druggies....
I used to drink at-least 4 shots of espresso everyday when I got to work.(I work at a bookstore with a coffee shop.) The most shots I had in one shift was 9 or 10 shots. I got to work at 4pm and had a 4 shot latte, then around 8pm had 5 shots with half and half and sugar. But I've quit that and only drink espresso a few times a week. I mainly drink regular coffee now or an energy drink.

They suck so bad at it cause they don't truly love it. Really good baristas are completely addicted to caffiene as an occupational hazard.
I used to work back in the coffee shop when they were filling the position in between people quitting. And I used to drink quite a bit of espresso when I was back there. Ever since I got a new position out in the bookstore I haven't been drinking too much espresso. But I do have some when I break someone for lunch.
( Last edited by JMan09; Aug 30, 2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: add another quote)
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 01:08 AM

My trackball has syrup on it... scuse me, but can't people get addicted to coffee? Personally, I can't have too much cuz it interrupts my drinking alchol.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2007, 01:17 AM

Yeah I think I was addicted to espresso but now I mainly drink regular coffee. But where I work we have regulars that come in everyday, and a few get a 4 shot cappuccino or latte and another gets a breve. And sometimes the lady that gets a 4 shot cappuccino gets her drink twice in one day. So, yeah I think you can get addicted to the caffeine in the coffee.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by J
used to work back in the coffee shop when they were filling the position in between people quitting. And I used to drink quite a bit of espresso when I was back there. Ever since I got a new position out in the bookstore I haven't been drinking too much espresso. But I do have some when I break someone for lunch.
Bet you didn't have as many cups as this idiot girl working in her parents shop.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
Bet you didn't have as many cups as this idiot girl working in her parents shop.
Haha, I once did the same thing to myself by mixing Red Bull and imported Lipovitan-D. In the middle of a Japanese class. For a couple minutes it felt like I was on the verge of a heart attack, and I had to leave the building and strip down to my t-shirt to get my body temperature down (it was about 10°F outside ...winter in Minnesota). Didn't go to the hospital though.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I got one of them simple italian stovetop jobs. I'm all set thanks.
For some reason, that reminds me of a girl I "dated" back in college...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 05:54 PM

I have seen the occasional refurb saeco superautos for ~$400; Wholelattelove.com occasionally has them in their clearance section. Might be worth a look.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 07:45 PM

Strangely enough the McDonald's in Germany I was at is one of the best cups of coffee I ever had...they use a larger version of the Espresso Machines posted.

They had like 5 of these lined up

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 30, 2007, 08:39 PM

The best tools for making coffee are a good grinder and a French Press. It is easy to make your coffee and it only takes 4 minutes to brew. Typically the coffee is good for 20 minutes thereafter. You can buy a coffee machine but the usual brew time is 10 minutes.
That looks like an espresso machine that can make a latte or cappucino. A shot is good for 13 seconds and anything after tastes like crap. You can buy syrups from Starbucks or any coffee shop that sells them. You can get the chai syrup and white mocha as well.

At Starbucks with the price increase a Venti coffee will cost you $2.00. This does not include all the things you get for free. Cream in your coffee, artificial sweetners, ridiculous measurements, and leaving room in the cup so you don't spill on yourself.

Now if you make an espresso drink you have to figure in the cost of the syrups, milk, and espresso shots. Just like a cup of coffee there are some free additions. There are also some things that cost additional money. We don't haggle our prices and that dissapoints a small part of our customer base. What? A White Mocha costs $4.00? I'm getting an espresso machine and making my own drinks!
I congratulate you on your espresso machine and ability to make your own drink. I like the Verismo espresso machine at work better than the personal espresso machines because it is faster. You do get a nicer shot than the Verismo but that all depends on how good you are.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2007, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12 View Post
No I didn't have quite that much. But once my heart was beating real fast and the a/c was broken at work so that made me extra hot, so I went and sat outside for a little while to cool down. And another day my pupils almost filled my eyes. But then I figured that having your heart beat that fast all the time isn't such a great idea, so I drank less and less espresso each day and now drink regular coffee and some espresso every now and then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules