Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Combo drive upgrade part on iBook?

Combo drive upgrade part on iBook?
kenazo
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 01:12 PM

Thinking about upgrading from a DVD to a combo drive on my dual usb iBook 600mhz. Which drives are compatible with the iBook? I'm not so worried with OS X as I am with the bezel fitting onto a new drive.

Does anyone have any idea? I'm assuming this is just a generic Toshiba drive or something...

(I know I can buy one from MCE or such but if I knew the proper drive it is probably $100 cheaper elsewhere).

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 09:00 PM

don't know about a drive, but the bevel for the CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and combo models were all different. if you can't modify your bevel you might want to ask a service center to order the part for you.

-r.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2004, 08:15 PM

I think your drive is a Matshita SR-8176. Apple System Profiler will tell you exactly what it is.
There is a database of drive upgrade reports (and a handy FAQ) at www.xlr8yourmac.com.
The Matshita (Same as Panasonic) CW-8121(and 8121A), 8122 and 8123 Sony CRX800E and CRX820E, Toshiba SD-R2002, 2102, 2212 and 2412 are combo drives shipped with various iBooks and G4 (Ti) PBs and should therefore work without issue in your iBook.

You might also look at Superdrives like the Matshita UJ-815 or 816 series, Sony DW-U10A were shipped in PBG4s (Al).
Many of these drives will be available from PC notebook dealers (for much lower prices).

I'm running a slot loading Matashita UJ-815B superdrive in my Powerbook G3 Lombard.
A slot loader would solve your bezel issue (Though it would likely be the wrong colour).

hart
Senior User
Nov 7, 2004, 03:53 PM

so does this mean you could upgrade the drive in a dual USB? My friend has a plain cd-rom drive and is interested in putting in a combo. I was thinking it wouldn't be possible or at least quite pricey as an upgrade for a rather old machine if you need someone else to do it (which he would).

Forum Links
Forum Rules