Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keyboard shortcut for suggest spelling?

Keyboard shortcut for suggest spelling?
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2005, 10:39 AM

I remember there was a keyboard shortcut for suggest spelling in Cocoa apps. I cannot find and remember which combination it was. Anyone?
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 12:25 PM

Option (alt) - Escape?

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2005, 12:33 PM

That was it, apparently it doesn't work in Pages
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2005, 07:43 PM

but....... there's a dictionary / thesaurus built into TIger, so Pages / Keynote / any text field will have access to this i imagine, as we do with the spellcheck.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 08:26 PM

Do mean the F5 key ?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 08:41 PM

Yep, F5 does the same thing. That's shocking that it doesn't work in Pages though! I'm having trouble working out why they didn't keep to the cocoa text engine (or whatever) as in TextEdit - apparently Pages doesn't do nearly as good text smoothing as TextEdit either ... it's weird, unless they're working the new Pages one up to something better than that in TE.

Hmmm, can you use fonts like Symbol properly in Pages? TextEdit has that weird cocoa thing of displaying them as normal text....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
I'm having trouble working out why they didn't keep to the cocoa text engine (or whatever) as in TextEdit - apparently Pages doesn't do nearly as good text smoothing as TextEdit either ... it's weird, unless they're working the new Pages one up to something better than that in TE.
NSTextView is very good where you want an NSTextView. For anything else (and please notice that what Pages does is way beyond what TextEdit does), it's not very good. To do what Pages does (with embedded tables and text boxes and the like) with NSTextView would require more work fighting Cocoa than it would take to just make your own text view.

I'd be very surprised if the text antialiasing is worse, though � it should be using the standard Quartz antialiasing. I can't imagine why they'd come up with their own drawing algorithm.

Oh, and you can use Symbol in TextEdit. One of the quirks of the Cocoa text engine is that it recognizes different scripts such as Japanese and Greek, and "Symbol" is one of them. If you try to use the Symbol font with another script, you won't get symbols.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 10:35 PM

Someone said that about the lesser smoothing in Pages in another thread a few days ago ... there was a screenshot too, but I can't find it now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules