Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bill Gates to get honorary Knighthood!

Bill Gates to get honorary Knighthood!
discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 05:00 PM

Can you believe it? What is going on with the world today? Apparently this has been in the planning for some time. This is first time I have heard about it.

http://news.com.com/Queen+to+tap+Gat...l?tag=nefd.top

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 1, 2005, 05:05 PM

Well, you've got to admit, he has made a huge impact on the computing world, and there is also this of course.

Personally, I think he deserves a knighthood more than any actor or musician.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 05:17 PM

Forget teh knighthood for a sec. I wonder how he spends all that money he has. Does the man have any expensive hobbies? breeding horses? building rockets to go to the moon? make a moonbase? does he play high stakes poker? ok forget expensive hobbies, does he even code for fun? golf? pool table? play WOW for 72 hrs straight? I mean he has to do something fun right?
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 05:18 PM

oops. the forums are going borked.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 05:46 PM

I'm all for it this means he has to fight Sir Tim Berners-Lee in a steel-cage jousting match for the right to be the Duke of URL. I know Tim will win that one, easy...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 06:59 PM

Slip the Queen a few billion and she'll do anything.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 07:00 PM

What the HELL? Getting a knighthood is OUR award, for exclusively for people from OUR country. And if they are going to start giving them out to foreigners there has to be many more deserving than Bill Gates, who at the end of the day is just a business man, it's not like he came up with some wonder drug thats saved 1000's of lives or rescued a bunch of people from some sort of disaster or anything.

Bet this was dreamt up by some Labour ass kisser.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
What the HELL? Getting a knighthood is OUR award, for exclusively for people from OUR country.
Well, the Queen seems to think otherwise.

And if they are going to start giving them out to foreigners there has to be many more deserving than Bill Gates, who at the end of the day is just a business man, it's not like he came up with some wonder drug thats saved 1000's of lives or rescued a bunch of people from some sort of disaster or anything.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Bet this was dreamt up by some Labour ass kisser.
Why, because it's for a US capitalist who made gobs of money?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 07:14 PM

He deserves it, to be honest.

He has given away billions of dollars for the ill and poor via the Bill & Melissa Gates Foundation and is actively involved in global vaccinations and other health care programmes.

He deserves it more than Mick Jagger, that's for sure, whose goal in life is to stay on a stage long past his sell-by date, apparently.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
He deserves it, to be honest.

He has given away billions of dollars for the ill and poor via the Bill & Melissa Gates Foundation and is actively involved in global vaccinations and other health care programmes.

He deserves it more than Mick Jagger, that's for sure, whose goal in life is to stay on a stage long past his sell-by date, apparently.

All too often people are blinded by their loyalties. Bill Gates must be evil incarnate because he is not Steve Jobs.

popstand
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2005, 07:35 PM

I absolutely agree that he deserves it. I despise most of his products and business practices, but at least he's using his ill gotten gains for something truly noble. As far as I know, he is already the single greatest philanthropist who ever lived, and he's just getting started. The vaccination programs he finances, are alone worth the honor of a knighthood, and I would imagine that his charitable work is the primary justification for the honor. How many of us can say that we're personally responsible for saving even one life, let alone thousands? That said, what about Melinda? Doesn't she deserve some props from the Queen Mum?
Ad Hominem attacks are for losers...

malvolio
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Sir Mick shares with Bill Gates a fondness for being absolutely feeelthy rich.
Don't forget, Jagger used to be a student at the London School of Economics.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 08:21 PM

Does anybody remember the story of the old lady who gave her last few pennies, all she had, to a good cause? Billy boy can only be considered the "biggest philanthropist" in terms of amount, perhaps (though I am not even 100% certain of this), but certainly in no other way.

This generosity that he exhibits, whether motivated by tax write offs, keeping an image, or guilt over his behavior do not make up for the many people whose dreams he has destroyed and the injustices he has committed. There are certainly worse people than Gates, but one of the good ones he isn't. As far as I'm concerned, he is an unethical business man. And I don't have great admiration for Jobs as a person either.

And knighthood? All that proves is that it doesn't mean much anymore, if it ever really did at all.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:

All too often people are blinded by their loyalties. Bill Gates must be evil incarnate because he is not Steve Jobs.
Me thinking that this is wrong is nothing to do with him not being 'Steve Jobs' and everything to do with him being a filthy rich American.
(i.e. If he was from the UK he would be more deserving of it)

I just think that if they are going to start giving Knighthood's out to non Brit's, then Billy boy isn't the place to start. Wow he gives a small percent of his yearly earning to charity, well done him, it's like me giving �1 a month.

popstand
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2005, 09:42 PM

Wow he gives a small percent of his yearly earning to charity, well done him, it's like me giving �1 a month.
I suppose that would be true, if your net worth was �2. The Gates foundation has a 27 Billion dollar endowment, which is roughly the equivalent of 40% of his net worth. Hardly a small percentage. Also, excuse me if I'm not crying over Real Networks or anyone else who has sued microsoft over their broken "dreams". I'm a little more sympathetic to the thousands of children's lives saved by vaccines paid for and distributed by the Gates foundation...

http://www.vaccinefund.org/

I can't believe I'm defending Bill Gates, but what are you gonna do. His company makes crappy software, but his money saves lives, lots of them.
( Last edited by popstand; Mar 2, 2005 at 02:40 AM. )
Ad Hominem attacks are for losers...

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by popstand:
That said, what about Melinda? Doesn't she deserve some props from the Queen Mum?
We all know where all the money comes from, not to mention that we live in a patriarchy.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2005, 12:08 AM

Yup. 28 BILLION $ in donations is pretty damn good, by any measure.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by popstand:
Also, excuse me if I'm not crying over Real Networks or anyone else who has sued microsoft over their broken "dreams". I'm a little more sympathetic to the thousands of children's lives saved by vaccines paid for and distributed by the Gates foundation...
No, it's not Real Networks, it's all those people we don't know about, the ones we never even had a chance to hear about because of Gates and his businesses. Be Inc. is an example of a company most people never had a chance to hear about, because MacroTrash blocked its every move to include its OS with new computers. But there are others, many many others, who we never even had a chance to hear about, and never will, because of Gates.

The fact of the matter is that Gates does not deserve but the smallest fraction of the wealth that he has attained. It is because of our backward priorities and economical systems that there are children unnecessarily dying, while there are unethical multi-billionaires like Gates enjoying a super-abundant wealth.

That Gates is actually putting this money where it more appropriately belongs and where it is needed much more is great. But, again, I ask you to question this man's motives. What amount of tax write-offs does he get and so on.

I can't believe I'm defending Bill Gates, but what are you gonna do. His company makes crappy software, but his money saves lives, lots of them.
Is that all you think Gates is guilty of? What about "IP" theft, backstabbing and bullying others, destroying dreams, causing stagnation, and the list goes on...

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 08:47 AM

Is that all you think Gates is guilty of? What about "IP" theft, backstabbing and bullying others, destroying dreams, causing stagnation, and the list goes on...
Sounds a lot like The Apprentice to me.

Seriously, that stuff goes on EVERYWHERE. Jobs has certainly bullied a lot of people.

He still does - witness the henchman coming down on ThinkSecret or any other outlet that dares to speculate on the inner workings or engineering of Apple design - and happens to guess correctly and hits a nerve. Suddenly a million Cupertino eyes are peering at you and more than a few sets are bullies with the title Esquire after their names.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2005, 09:18 AM

What the HELL? Getting a knighthood is OUR award, for exclusively for people from OUR country.
Considering it's YOUR country, you don't seem very up-to-date on what YOUR queen has been doing. Honorary knighthoods have gone to lots of people. Rudy Guiliani is one recent Yank to get YOUR country's award from YOUR queen. Lots of others as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2005, 09:21 AM

Other foreigners to get it, after a quick Google, include Sir Bob Geldolf (thought he was British but not according to the Beeb), Steven Spielberg KBE and former President George HW Bush KBE.

And among others, Arsene Wegner and Gerard Houlier are honorary OBEs. They're not from YOUR country either media dude.

beb
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 09:26 AM

I think it's quaint and cute, but then again so is the British empire.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2005, 09:27 AM

Not much of an empire these days.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 2, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Considering it's YOUR country, you don't seem very up-to-date on what YOUR queen has been doing. Honorary knighthoods have gone to lots of people. Rudy Guiliani is one recent Yank to get YOUR country's award from YOUR queen. Lots of others as well.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Micheal Jackson was also knighted as well.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2005, 09:54 AM

Michael Jackson is not a KBE or OBE. Linkie?

Or are you talking about the beer guru and not the Neverland perv?

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 2, 2005, 10:06 AM

Michael Jackson is not a KBE or OBE. Linkie?

Or are you talking about the beer guru and not the Neverland perv?
I thought he was. But I could be very well wrong about that.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 10:16 AM

MJ will be knighted after he's acquitted because of parading one well-meaning celebrity after another through the court thus confabulating the jury resulting in a not guilty verdict. It's the American way.

( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Mar 2, 2005 at 11:03 AM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2005, 10:25 AM

In that case, where's OJ's knighthood?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 11:01 AM

I'm sure he'll get one too.

Probably when Charles and his mistress are ruling the roost together. They have a lack of moral backbone and intestinal fortitude that makes such a knighthood a probability.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2005, 01:44 PM

beb:
I think it's quaint and cute, but then again so is the British empire.
Heh, the title sounds like something out of a cheezy Hollywood period piece:

William Gates, Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire

P.S. How much money does Teh Steve� donate? Just wondering.

Gabriel Morales:
destroying dreams, causing stagnation
OMG!!! Lynch him!!!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 07:20 AM

As part of the ceremony to present the decoration, Gates will kneel before the monarch, who will tap him on the shoulder with a sword. The motto of the order of chivalry is "For God and the Empire."
"The Microsoft Empire."

nath
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 08:29 AM

Actually, relatively few foreigners are knighted (although other more lowly bangles are given out left right and centre these days). As far as I know the only other Americans to have been knighted (or made Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire ) are Ronald Reagan, Steven Spielberg, George Bush Snr, Rudolph Giuliani and Bob Hope. Most certainly not Michael Jackson!!!

However being dubbed with Her Maj's Sword of State and asked to 'Arise, Sir ----' is reserved for Brits, anyone else just gets presented with the bangle.

As to why Gates is eligible, the official recommendation came from the Foreign Office but most newspapers seem to be indicating that his supposedly close relationship with Messrs Blair and (particularly) Brown is the most likely reason. Microsoft just landed the biggest computer project in history, creating a completely new IT infrastruture for the NHS. I may well go private.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by nath:
Actually, relatively few foreigners are knighted (although other more lowly bangles are given out left right and centre these days). As far as I know the only other Americans to have been knighted (or made Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire ) are Ronald Reagan, Steven Spielberg, George Bush Snr, Rudolph Giuliani and Bob Hope. Most certainly not Michael Jackson!!!

However being dubbed with Her Maj's Sword of State and asked to 'Arise, Sir ----' is reserved for Brits, anyone else just gets presented with the bangle.

As to why Gates is eligible, the official recommendation came from the Foreign Office but most newspapers seem to be indicating that his supposedly close relationship with Messrs Blair and (particularly) Brown is the most likely reason. Microsoft just landed the biggest computer project in history, creating a completely new IT infrastruture for the NHS. I may well go private.
Bob Hope was a bit of a special case -- he was born in England. I guess Gates is in the tradition of Akio Morita, the co-founder of Sony who was knighted in 1993. He was knighted for in effect, the transistor radio and the walkman.

I don't see why anyone would be upset by this. It is just a honorary thing, just like Britons like Maggie Thatcher getting the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Lots of counties do these kinds of things from time to time.

Interestingly, a lot of Americans seem to be under the misapprehension that Americans cannot hold titles of nobility. I have heard people say that is the reason why knighted Americans aren't called "Sir."

Actually, the constitution only says that people who hold offices in the United States government can't receive a "present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever from any King, Prince, or foreign state" without permission of Congress.

So Congress can always give permission, but a private citizen who doesn't hold a federal office is free to have a title regardless.

So technically, if the British crown allows it (and you suggest that it would not), Bill could become Sir Bill. I'm sure the egotistical bastard would love that.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 10:23 AM

insha
Senior User
Mar 3, 2005, 10:37 AM

First of all, I don't think much of anyone whose ever been knighted.

I personally don't think Gates deserves the knighthood. People here are saying that the amount of money endowed to the gates foundation is the reason he is deserves this; but the way I see it is that he has aquired that money by ill means and thus does not matter what he does with it.

I know of people whose net worth is a fraction of Gates but has given more (in term of percentage 55% to 65%) of their net worth; but have gone unnoticed by the old hag across the pond.

Also as someone above mentioned that knighthood was given to Gates, because of Blair and Brown and the contract with the NHS.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 10:43 AM

It must be for his rugged good looks.

Damn Bill Gates for having them!
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Forum Links
Forum Rules