Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 726 gay military members kicked out nationwide in 2005

726 gay military members kicked out nationwide in 2005 (Page 4)
Moose
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by UnixMac
Am I correct?
You are correct.

My father, however, was in Naval aviation in the 50s and 60s and my older brother served in, among other campaigns, Desert Storm and Panama (82nd Airborne). I've asked both of them what they think about this, and they have the same opinon: If you have a big, pre-emptive problem with the sexual orientation of somebody in your unit, you're more damaging to "unit cohesion" than anything else.

Do your job, and let your buddy do his.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Moose
You are correct.

My father, however, was in Naval aviation in the 50s and 60s and my older brother served in, among other campaigns, Desert Storm and Panama (82nd Airborne). I've asked both of them what they think about this, and they have the same opinon: If you have a big, pre-emptive problem with the sexual orientation of somebody in your unit, you're more damaging to "unit cohesion" than anything else.

Do your job, and let your buddy do his.
I find that very hard to believe from two military men... but since there is no way to prove it, I'm going to have to bow out of this non-ending debate.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by UnixMac
I find that very hard to believe from two military men... but since there is no way to prove it, I'm going to have to bow out of this non-ending debate.
I don't have any problem believing it at all. Not ALL military men are homophobic. I certainly wasn't and am not-though retired, I still identify strongly with my service. But there are a lot of people in the service who are VOCAL about their opinion (many of whom have never knowingly met a gay person) and will tell the whole bleeding world WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS WRONG. In their opinion, anyway. These are the dangerous ones-afraid of difference, afraid of change, and probably afraid they WON'T get hit on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy
The armed forces blow things up and kill people, I'd rather that remain their focus.
I think that's a rather simplistic perspective, personally.

Why? Are you not trying to speak for all gay people? Does that make you homophobic?
Not really, did I ever say, "all gay people [fill in the blank]" or something equivalent???

The fat man, the balding man, the man with long hair all face problems in life. It's a cruel world. I would not compare these injustices to the injustices committed in the name of racism and sexism.
Well as far as I know it's illegal in various facets of society to discriminate against someone for being fat, bald, or having long hair.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy
Right, which means they don't have to know about your sexual preference.
Actually it means that whether or not they know about one's sexual preference shouldn't matter.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 10:35 PM

Hmm.. gays are not allow in the military. Neighter are fags I guest:

You don't want the US military to be known as fags do you?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 10:39 PM

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
"The Pentagon has said there were 726 military members discharged under the policy last year -- up 11 percent from the year before -- but did not publicly release base-specific information."

CNN.com - 'Don't ask, don't tell' takes highest toll at Missouri base - Aug 14, 2006

Pretty shocking. These men have all willingly signed up for the military while other "straight" men desert their country and run to canada because they don't want to fight.

The military is also trying very hard to recruit new men because of the war yet is throwing other out under the suspicion of being gay.
straight guys that want out now have a new option, get caught being gay and your kicked out, no more running to Canada

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 12:38 AM

Yeah, I think having the gay ban is a nice option for those who want out of the military. It's an escape clause.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 01:28 AM

Wow...

"The Pentagon has committed more than $1.5 billion to recruiting efforts this year."

$1.5 billion in recruiting efforts this year?!! That's nuts. Is Patriotism dead in America that not many want to join the army anymore? Seems that only the poor who needs the money for college are joining the army.

TBO.com - News From The Associated Press

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Wow...

"The Pentagon has committed more than $1.5 billion to recruiting efforts this year."

$1.5 billion in recruiting efforts this year?!! That's nuts. Is Patriotism dead in America that not many want to join the army anymore? Seems that only the poor who needs the money for college are joining the army.
I'm sure it doesn't help than an enormous segment of the population believes the government is being reckless with soldiers' lives right now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I'm sure it doesn't help than an enormous segment of the population believes the government is being reckless with soldiers' lives right now.

Amen!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit
Yeah, I think having the gay ban is a nice option for those who want out of the military. It's an escape clause.
Until they start looking for work. A discharge for homosexual conduct is a "derrogatory" discharge, which means that even if it's characterized as "under honorable conditions," (most are at best "general" discharges) then employers see that the person had "disciplinary problems" in the service. Not good for employment. Oh, and if you say "I've never been in the military" you're lying to the prospective employer. It's not the fact that the person is discharged for homosexual conduct as much as that they "broke the rules" and were disciplined for it. That's very bad when looking for a job.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 11:29 AM

Q) Are gay men more prone to HIV?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2006, 11:31 AM

Actually, there are a lot of straight GIs in hospital because they dipped where they shouldn't have. LOTS of 'em in fact. In the Air Force, I had to have an annual HIV test-and that was irrespective of where I was stationed. HIV really never respected what one's orientation was, it just took advantage of a particularly promiscuous segment of one orientation group and then spread like wildfire.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 11:36 AM

No matter. I watched Black Hawk Down last night and remember that at some point I thought to myself "really wouldn't want HIV positive blokes riding in those Humvees".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Q) Are gay men more prone to HIV?
I believe the butt sex is one of the most likely methods of transmission.

So I would assume indirectly, yes.

I would also assume that being HIV+ would immediately qualify you as unfit for duty.

Originally Posted by ghporter
I had to have an annual HIV test
Hmm... this should be done more often I would think.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 02:04 PM

Just as a by-the-way, did anybody else see the thread title "726 gay military members…" and think the rest of it would turn out to be "can't be wrong"?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2006, 02:23 PM

Being positive does not disqualify one from duty, but it does make one disqualified for worldwide duty-can't go overseas while positive. But there are a number of jobs a person who is positive can do that wouldn't be any risk at all to anyone-real or imagined.

The annual test requirement is for two reasons: first, the test isn't cheap, and second, there are a number of other annual medical requirements so this sort of meshes nicely with one's annual checkup.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Just as a by-the-way, did anybody else see the thread title "726 gay military members…" and think the rest of it would turn out to be "can't be wrong"?
No, but I think we all learned something about you...

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2006, 02:47 PM

Being positive does not disqualify one from duty, but it does make one disqualified for worldwide duty-can't go overseas while positive. But there are a number of jobs a person who is positive can do that wouldn't be any risk at all to anyone-real or imagined.
Sorry, I meant combat duty.

The annual test requirement is for two reasons: first, the test isn't cheap, and second, there are a number of other annual medical requirements so this sort of meshes nicely with one's annual checkup.
If I was in charge, I'd not only give y'all a raise, I'd find the money to make sure you had your willie/hoo-haa checked once a season.

Forum Links
Forum Rules