Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyone else trying Mozilla's Firebird?

Anyone else trying Mozilla's Firebird?
Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2003, 09:44 AM

I just downloaded it this morning and have been checking it out on a bunch of sites.
Seems to render fast and correctly.
Firebird 0.6.1

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Sep 4, 2003, 11:55 AM

I had tried it a month or so ago. One thing that I found annoying was its bookmark behavior. I have hundreds of bookmarks. But every time I would click on one, it would open it in a new window. Have they fixed that in the version you're using?

mpbritt
Sep 4, 2003, 12:18 PM

I have it and fire it up on occasion. But Safari is my main browser so all the others are just playthings for me. :-)

But seriously, I think it's very fast and amazingly stable for a beta. At least it hasn't crashed for me on any of the sites I've used it on. I just have two real complaints with it:

1. The UI is not very Mac-like.
2. It's slow to launch.

Other than those two I do use it on an infrequent basis, and enjoy using it.
Michael

HamSandwich
Sep 4, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
I had tried it a month or so ago. One thing that I found annoying was its bookmark behavior. I have hundreds of bookmarks. But every time I would click on one, it would open it in a new window. Have they fixed that in the version you're using?
Ditto for me, and I've downloaded the latest version. Is everyone else experiencing this? It's the main reason I don't use it. Is there any way to disable it?

Also, sometimes when I click on a bookmark in the toolbar, nothing happens unless I quit and relaunch.

Once they solve some of these annoying bugs, it's a good alternative browser to Safari...

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2003, 03:42 PM

It doesn't work well with "tickers" such as on the BBC web page. If you open up the page in a tab the ticker eats the content of the BBC page if you scroll up and down but also the content of other open tabs. This was also a problem on older versions of Camino.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Jowy
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by asmack:
Ditto for me, and I've downloaded the latest version. Is everyone else experiencing this? It's the main reason I don't use it. Is there any way to disable it?

Also, sometimes when I click on a bookmark in the toolbar, nothing happens unless I quit and relaunch.

Once they solve some of these annoying bugs, it's a good alternative browser to Safari...
I still experience this issue too. It really annoys me as I was hoping they would have fixed it by now. Since I don't like using my bookmarks from the bookmarks toolbar I just don't use Firebird right now because I can't stand how a new window is opening everytime I go to a site via a bookmark. I thought the bug was already acknowledged too, but I might be wrong.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2003, 05:15 PM

On the Mac I still use Safari, but on Windows Firebird has replaced Mozilla and IE for me. It's really nice on the PC.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 12:00 AM

In case you guys didn't know, nightly builds for OS X are being done here: http://smartas****.com/mozilla/ . They are quite a bit nicer than the 0.6.1 release.

Also, you'll want to the install the Pinstripe theme from here: http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/beta.html

Pinstripe will eventually become the default theme on OS X. But really, FireBird on OS X won't be everyday-useable until the main focus of the Mozilla organization moves away from the Mozilla suite and towards FireBird in the coming months.

Edit: looks like the link got edited out. The stars are a four-letter word that begins with "f".

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2003, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by bmedina:
In case you guys didn't know, nightly builds for OS X are being done here: http://smartas****.com/mozilla/ . They are quite a bit nicer than the 0.6.1 release.
On my PowerBook, for some reason, these Firebird builds take as much as twice the memory Mozilla builds by Orange Cream do.

You can get OC Mozilla builds from OC's idisk (address below). They are the builds of Navigator component of the Mozilla suite, for people who'd like to have the speed and compatibility of Mozilla Navigator but don't want the whole nine yards of Mail, IRC, composer...Like Firebird, but better.

http://homepage.mac.com/michael2k/FileSharing9.html

Jowy
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Musti:
On my PowerBook, for some reason, these Firebird builds take as much as twice the memory Mozilla builds by Orange Cream do.

You can get OC Mozilla builds from OC's idisk (address below). They are the builds of Navigator component of the Mozilla suite, for people who'd like to have the speed and compatibility of Mozilla Navigator but don't want the whole nine yards of Mail, IRC, composer...Like Firebird, but better.

http://homepage.mac.com/michael2k/FileSharing9.html
Thank you very much for that link! The OC build doesn't have that crazy "I-wanna-open-a-new-window-for-every-bookmark" problem. Thanks again

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Jowy:
Thank you very much for that link! The OC build doesn't have that crazy "I-wanna-open-a-new-window-for-every-bookmark" problem. Thanks again
You're welcome

PS. Although nothing among Mozilla derivatives --except Camino-- corrects the problem of processor usage shooting to 80-100% when page is scrolled with scrollbar drag. Scroll up/down a page using the scrollbar and you'll get a hot PowerBook after 5 minutes.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 12:38 PM

I just tried it for 10 minutes and it was a disaster. I'm sticking with Safari thanks.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

delete
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the link. With the other nighlty I was using (smartas****), the Pinstripe theme was acting funky. This is much better. Except for when I go to the prefs and select Privacy, the browser quits everytime.

How often are the bulids being done at OC?
( Last edited by delete; Sep 5, 2003 at 02:34 PM. )

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by delete:
How often are the bulids being done at OC? [/B]
Pretty much whenever he feels like it. He usually ends up doing a set of compiles for Mozilla (and now Firebird) about once a month.

Forum Links
Forum Rules