Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone in the UK get theirs delivered today?

Anyone in the UK get theirs delivered today?
barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 01:20 PM

Looks like Apple's decision to use Parcel Post (allow ten days for delivery!) has screwed us again. No Saturday deliveries so we've got to wait till Monday.

Barney.

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 01:54 PM

No sign of mine yet either

Apple UK ought to be ashamed of themselves. The bean counters who made the decision to ship via parcel post should get their arses kicked big style! Where's Steve Jobs when you need him. He should go on off on one of his famous purges and fire the bloody lot of them.

If I pre order a software upgrade the day it is posted on Apple UK. I expect it to arrive on the launch day.

Jaguar arrived on time last year so why not Panther?

I might as well have gone to my local Mac retailer tomorrow and waited in line with everyone else.

Gordon Harwood Computers are giving free Goody bags away at their launch party.

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:01 PM

So as I sit here with an hour to go before the official worldwide release, I won't be seeing my copy then! So much for the Apple Store UK's boast that pre-order now for delivery on Friday!!! Parcel post from Ireland � we'll be lucky to see our copies before the first Software Update!

About the only saving grace on this is free shipping (and now we know why) and the fact that I used my .mac Thank You voucher to reduce the cost of Panther. Still, hardly makes up for the fact that we won't be joining in the 'Panther Party�' tonight.

Bah and indeed humbug

robrandtoul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:11 PM

I agree. Apple UK sucks big time. I have had dealings with Apple UK store on 3 occasions...

1) I ordered a PB17" on the day it was announced. They charged my card 3 months before it was due to be delivered. It took me two months to recover the money. I ended up buying the PB from CanComUK

2) I ordered a 23" display 4 weeks ago on 'same day' dispatch. I recieved notification of shipping on the day I ordered. Five days later I received another email saying that it hadn't been shipped and would be another 2 weeks. So I cancelled the order. Low and behold, two days later my credit card was charged for the display and the screen showed up yesterday (3 weeks after I cancelled the order). So now I have two 23" displays (I purchased one from CanComUK upon cancelling the one from Apple Store UK) and I now have to chase Apple for my 1600 quid back.

3) I ordered Panther when it was announced. I was assured that it would be delivered on its release day. Is it here? Is it bollox.

I love Apple products but I hate Apple Store UK and will NEVER EVER order anything from them again.
http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk

ChrisMBarrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 02:23 PM

Yet another disgruntled UK Apple Store purchaser.

Ordered on the 8th October on the basis that it was guaranteed delivery on the 24th � but so far it has failed to appear!

What is worse is that the website is still promising delivery on Friday evening!

neely
Oct 24, 2003, 03:01 PM

I ordered mine last week through the uni where I work (educational discount), was hoping it would turn up today, but it didn't. So now I get to read about everyone's experiences over the weekend and I'm cat-free.

robrandtoul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2003, 03:09 PM

I am assuming that 'Parcel Post' is Royal Mail. If so there is a possibility we may get our Black Cats tomorrow? http://www.royalmail.com/portal/defa...ls/03__FAQ.xml
http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 03:11 PM

Another disapointed customer here as well.

Why OH Why did they decide to send it via parcel post when they have made such a big deal about the date and time.

This is the last thing I buy from Apple direct, I'd rather support the dealers and give Apple less money to show my discust at the service from the Apple Store.

I could get a copy tomorrow from a store, but instead I chose to give Apple the extra money (dealer margin) and buy from them.

How long do we have to wait for it to arrive I wonder? It shipped on Wednesday, will it turn up before next weekend.

Thank you Apple yet again, raise expectations and fail to deliver.

We could be lucky and get it on Saturday morning, but why not ship it via a service that has 24 hour delivery, and make sure it arrives on Friday as promised.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by robrandtoul:
I am assuming that 'Parcel Post' is Royal Mail. If so there is a possibility we may get our Black Cats tomorrow? http://www.royalmail.com/portal/defa...ls/03__FAQ.xml
It's Shipping form there Irish center (not in Northern Ireland). So not only does it mean Royal Mail for the UK section but also Ireland's Post office for the Irish section, I presume.
It's all a lot of crap, Apple UK doesn't even have a UK based distribution center, or a call center, it's all dealt with from Ireland.

Why was I so week

kiskynet
Oct 24, 2003, 04:35 PM

yep its the last time I believe what apple uk says about delivery times... micro anvika, selfridges at the trafford centre are having a panther special so we got another copy on the gf's company credit card (thanks)

hurry you've got half an hour till they shut...

writing files: 46%.....
Treasuremytext.com :: Save your text messages online ::

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 04:53 PM

Damn...

So I was eager to see how Apple will plan the release of Panther, guess what. In the EU it was messed up...

I checked my order on Apple, it is still set on BEING BUILT. Wonderful, way to go Apple. Just how much time does it take to "Build" a damn CD??????????????????????

And now, I still cannot see the status move, it is still being built. Not being prepared to be shipped but BEING BUILT!!!

What kinda crap is this!?!?!!? Some people in Germany have gotten theirs yesterday, a few other places too around Europe. Well that is normal, as the up to date program is for those who sent in the order with the rest of the people... We pre-ordered it.

Apple in the states at least understood that in order to make this work, they needed to satisfy their customers by sending it out sooner to meet the release date...

AND GET THIS!!!

On all our nice little order confirmation (Apple sends two, cause they want to show just how much in control they are), on all our orders it says ON OR BEFORE the 24th.

Here is what they say:

How long will my order Take
Your order should ship on or before 24.10.2003
Please allow a further 3-6 days from this date to deliver your order.

NOTE BEFORE THE 24th!!

Oh you can bet I wrote a letter to Apple in Ireland. I live in DK, to top it off, it says, if you order for less then a fortune, you would have to wait 9-10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder who the punisher is at Apple Ireland!!!!

THIS PISSES ME OFF!!!!

This is the 4th time they do this!

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 04:59 PM

WoW!!!!

Kick ass, the letter helped!!!! A moment ago I got this email from Apple :

Dear Customer:

We are pleased to send you this shipment notification regarding your
Apple Store order.

Order Date : 21-10-2003

The time I got the mail was 11PM my time...

Hum, now if they can somehow get my CDs here in 3 days, they have lived up to the promise they made last year at the conference

I'll keep you posted...

Let me check on line if they really mean it...

Ok this is what they say :

MAC OS X PANTHER 10.3 FULFIL/UTD-DNK
M9231DK/A
DKK 127,20
DKK 127,20

MAC OS X PANTHER 10.3 FULFIL/UTD-DNK; 1 shipped on 24/10/2003

Ship via: Spring
Tracking Number ; 800xxxx

Then trying to look at the tracking number it says this :

Your Product is being delivered by Parcel Post and should arrive with you shortly.

If you have not received your product or notification of an attempted delivery of your product within 10 business days
from the date of the Shipment Notification E-Mail, please contact the Apple Store.

10 days... TEN days... Crap... Oh well at least it is on its way, now I hope it gets here... Have lost one before...
saw the vision of the

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 06:23 PM

Well at least the Apple UK web site isn't rubbing evryones faces in the fact that the shipping is crap.
Whilst Apples main front page has a big Panther. Now Available picture, The Apple UK home page has gone with the G4 iBook ad, and a smaller "Panther available from Friday October 24th at 8pm" (err that Date/Time combo has passed???) pic at the bottom.
How Nice of them.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 07:28 PM

I have just had an Idea for all the pissed UK Apple Store Panther buyers.
What's that Steve Jobs email address that some times makes stuff happen?
Bet if there is a barrage of emails from loads of angry UK Apple Store customers, Jobs will light a fire under some ones ass, and things might happen.
Especially if they remind them that the UK store promised Oct42th delivery on the panther pre-order page.

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
I have just had an Idea for all the pissed UK Apple Store Panther buyers.
What's that Steve Jobs email address that some times makes stuff happen?
Bet if there is a barrage of emails from loads of angry UK Apple Store customers, Jobs will light a fire under some ones ass, and things might happen.
Especially if they remind them that the UK store promised Oct42th delivery on the panther pre-order page.
Dude not just the UK, the French, Danish, Swedish, and so on, are in the same boat... Bad promotion in the EU in general.

saw the vision of the

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2003, 08:04 PM

!!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Sep 19, 2017 at 08:00 AM. )

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Simon X:
I'm not too keen on the blue outline when selecting an item in the Finder. The grey background and highlighted text would have been enough. The blue outline is just overkill and a bit messy. The shots from the early betas were better.

Oh well. Might grow on me.
I hear you mate, I too find it over kill, the worst thing is that it does leave anomalies on the screen once you selected a folder and then leave it. The text has some odd shadows that make it looks crappie...

But for sure there must have been another way. Also most icons I have don't work well with that stupid way of outlining the folders. I cannot click on them to open, only if I click on the text...

Oh well... As far as I see it has NOT been changed in the final release...

saw the vision of the

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 05:11 AM

If you want to write to Steve Jobs use the following email address.

[email protected]

I have had a reply in the past, not sure it's from him, but I did get the desired result (free .Mac for a year)

I have still not received my copy of Panther (now Saturday in the UK).

It is a disgrace that Apple choose to send �100 of goods via Parcel Post, that has a delivery time of 10 business days.

They could have at least sent it via 1st Class Post which would stand a chance of being delivered the next day.

I order many goods over the internet and Apple have the worst delivery system and method out there.

I can order CD's DVD's, Books, etc and they are all shipped 1st class post, they usually have a lower sale price, but shipping is free.

As an example I order DVD's from www.blackstar.co.uk, they ship for free, 1st class post.

I ordered the latest Star Trek box set from them, they shipped it yesterday (Friday) and it arrived today (Saturday), it is not officially released in the UK until Monday. The cost �65 inc free shipping and this is not a light item!!

On the other hand with Apple we pay �99 and have to suffer the cheapest postal service possible, Parcel Post, which is a disgrace as Apple actually made the item being shipped and it cost them very little to actually produce it. It is pure and simple greed over customer service.

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 05:37 AM

Amazon.co.uk seem to have issues with software release dates. They were offering 10.3 at a good price and with the release date of 24th October. When I checked why it hadn't been dispatched yesterday I found they had changed the release date to the 28th! I had checked the 10.3 page recently so they must have done it on the 24th.

When I finally found a way of e-mailing them about this they insist they are right about the release date and will not be sending my order until next week. The e-mail reply was the most patronising crap I have ever read as well.

They have been good at getting CDs and DVDs out on release dates before but I am never buying software from them again.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 05:44 AM

We don't even have the choice on the UK Apple Store to choose next day delivery at extra cost.

It's 10 business days for delivery, take it or leave it, inflexible and inconsiderate.

I will not be ordering anything from the Apple Store again, as you can usually buy things faster from a store.

Ian

stevenhaddon
Oct 25, 2003, 05:48 AM

Well, I got my copy delivered at 9:30 this morning...running Panther now...

Steve

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 05:58 AM

Can you confirm which courier delivered Panther?

Cheers.

Originally posted by stevenhaddon:
Well, I got my copy delivered at 9:30 this morning...running Panther now...

Steve

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 06:00 AM

You are lucky, no sign of my copy today, and I don't expect it to arrive now.

Monday is probably my best bet, which is a poor show really.

Why bother to make such a point of date and time when you send the product by a very unreliable delivery method, it's a joke.

I really suggest people don't buy from the Apple Store, they are over priced and delivery is poor.

I will use other resellers in future, who can deliver next day, or buy from my local Micro Anvika.

I got my PowerBook from Micro Anvika, and I still got it before most of the early orders from the Apple Store.

Apple need to improve their service if they want to keep the extra margin they get through the Apple Store.

Ian

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 06:03 AM

Deliveries in the UK will be made by the Post Office, using Parcel Post.

They have not used a courier service for Panther, they could have sent it 1st Class Post, for very little cost, but they are mean bastards.

Ian

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 06:08 AM

11.06 in the morning and still no sign of the parcel force van. Feel like a kid waiting for birthday cards to arrive.
KRO
Ali P

stevenhaddon
Oct 25, 2003, 06:10 AM

I think it must have been the Post Office - the guy just knocked at my door and handed me the package, I didn't sign for it.

A pleasant surprise - I'd resigned myself to waiting until Monday.

Hope you guys get yours soon.

Steve

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 06:12 AM

Is it possible to track & trace our deliveries. The Delivery number quoted on the order status page isn't recognised on the post office web site???

Any ideas?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 06:26 AM

You can't track or trace your package as Apple has selected the cheapest option possible.

Parcel Post has no tracking, it is a very low priority service, lower than 2nd Class Post.

There is no proof of delivery either.

Ian

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 06:32 AM

So the general concencus is that their delivery methods are sh*t!? What makes me mad is that they are still quoting friday delivery .... www.apple.com/ukstore - there seem to be three different images at the top middle that alternate when the page is refreshed.

And another thing that is pissing me off is that I have the right to cancel the order due to the obvious breech of promised delivery time, but the sales department isn't open. I was going to pop round to my local re-seller but that idea is shafted now.

Will the pain ever end?

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 06:43 AM

What hacks me off is that whilst I'm sat at home like a muppet, secretly hoping it'll show today, pi**ed off with apple for posting it via carrier pigeon or whatever...

...EVERYBODY in the states is melting on how Apple so obviously pulled out all the stops with Fed-Ex and they've all got their lovely new Panther...

I'm not jealous.....honest.......grrrr.....

(I only bought from Apple store to get Edu discount and to use .mac voucher)

"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 06:51 AM

I don't know whether I should admit this, but in protest to the crap we are experiencing getting Panther, I am using my XP laptop and not my iMac.

Send the lynch mob round chaps!

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 07:09 AM

12.04 Saturday No Panther!

The Apple Store are bloody pathetic!

I have used them for the education discount up to now but I have found that can get the same edu discount at Trimac in Sheffield.

I've heard good reports about them so they are going to get all my business from now on.

ChrisMBarrett
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 07:36 AM

Well, after being assured on the phone that Panther had been shipped on the 23rd October I recived a email stateing that it had shipped today, the 25th.

The only good thing is that the shipping has been bumped to TNT Express, so hopefully this will mean it get here early next week.

But this does not make up for being lied to by Apple.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2003, 07:36 AM

Anybody else remember that 10.0 showed up a couple of days late, and they were using IEC/TNT? Arrived on the Monday, IIRC.

TomHMeredith
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I got an email at 2am this morning saying it had shipped by TNT, but the TNT tracking website still doesnt recognise the number.

One of my mates ordered it a week after me, his shipped on Tuesday and it still hasnt shown up....

Tom.
What are you looking for? A signature?

sandsl
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 08:14 AM

Still no sign of my copy arriving at 1:13pm on Saturday.

UK Graphic on www.apple.com/ukstore specifying evening delivery on the 24th:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/8352/...omo_macosx.jpg - isn't that false advertising?
Luke

Annihialator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 08:30 AM

Ordered mine on the 16th, shipping notification on the 21st.

4 days on at 13:30 Saturday and still no sign!

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 08:48 AM

An open letter to Steve Jobs...

Dear Steve (if I may),

Firstly, let me say that I love Apple products � hardware and software. They are, as we all know, just about the best stuff in computing from a corporate source at the moment. And now you go and release Panther that looks like it rocks (to use the American idiom).

But (and you just knew that was coming didn't you) can I take five minutes to mention that the world extends beyond the shores of the USA. I was hoping that, having appointed Al Gore to the Board, you wouldn't be afflicted by Dubya Disease. He seems to have made a virtue out of not having left the American land prior to being appointed President by the Supreme Court. I, however, don't see this as a virtue.

And what, you may ask, has brought forth this vitriol against the company I trust (and love I have to admit) with my computing needs. Well, the latest in a long line of you's from Apple to anyone outside of the US. I apologise in advance to my European and other non-US colleagues on this board but my experiences are solely based on what we suffer in the UK.

So let's examine the evidence:

1. The Great Panther Delivery Debacle� � so where is my copy. Yes, we know some people have got theirs but when your UK Store advertises that pre-ordering will deliver Panther on 24.10.03 (sorry 10.24.03) we like to believe it. Somehow, Fed Ex timed deliveries are the norm for your US customers but we here in the UK get a service that is less reliable than second class post for a product that is not even shipped within the UK. Are you just pissed at the guy here in the UK who got his on Wednesday and posted some pics for us to drool over?

2. iPhoto - yes, it's a great piece of software for organising my hundreds of digital pics. But that's all it is right now, software. Can I order prints online? Can I order a professionally produced book? Can I . How long has iPhoto been available? Is it over two years now? How long does it take to organise a deal with someone like Kodak (or even Boots plc in the UK) so they make money, you make money and we stay happy? Are you trying to negotiate a deal for Europe (hint: Europe is, basically, a political system - we're made up of different countries with different rules and regs. Now here's an idea... negotiate in each country - it'll be quicker and we'll all be delighted).

3. iTMS - OK so now we all now that any Mac user outside of the USA is less important than US Windoze users. Yes, I accept that the licensing system across Europe makes it difficult to negotiate with quickly but how do you think we feel being left out? That's right, we're hurt.

4. Apple Stores - ooo they're shiny, they excite, they delight. Apparently. How would we know? OK we have resellers and box shifters in the UK but we don't have that feeling of belonging. Surely, London must be big enough to be able to sustain an Apple Store? I mean isn't it one of the most vibrant, successful cities in the world?? OK, so if we get one we'll want more but hey that's the price of success.

5. Expos & Conferences - So we have Apple Expo (Paris) once a year. Thanks - at least it's something. How many of us can get to Paris though for an Apple love-fest? The only Mac event in the UK is organised independently from Apple but you do at least support it by turning up. Well, the UK staff do - when was the last time we saw you in the UK strutting your stuff? Never mind hell freezing over, I reckon pigs will fly first.

6. Advertising - well, the G5 ad turned up on some channels here for a couple of days after its launch. But guess what - it was the American ad with that guy from The Fly and Jurassic Park doing the minimal voice over. What the hell did it communicate to the UK? Apple have a new computer which probably isn't compatible with Windows (cos no one tell us otherwise) and they can't be bothered to make an ad in the UK for it. In the UK, PCs are sold not because some guy flys through a wooden house (another tip: houses here are brick, not wood so it means nothing to us) but because someone with a nice British accent tells us it's fast, it's cheap and it runs what we're used to.

Look, I could go on (and I guess some people on here will think I already have) but I hope you get the point. We love your products - heck, we can even admit a grudging respect for Apple as a corporation. All I'm saying is stop treating any non-US Mac user like a second class citizen. We have a choice of going to Windoze (not much of a choice I admit) but how can you expect to grow the Apple brand if you ignore those of us who remain loyal despite everything.

I'm giving you a D for this term. Let's hope we see some improvement next term.

Thanks for listening.

Jim

PS. Before I get flamed, I evangelise Apple to anyone and everyone and would never 'switch' but we're just being left out in the cold and all we want is someone to turn up the heat a bit.

Wickedkitten
Oct 25, 2003, 08:50 AM

they did say that panther would be shipped by or on the 24th

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 09:08 AM

Nicely said, totally agree with you! Stick that letter into a petition and I'll sign it - I don't think I'd be the only signiture either!!

Tom

Originally posted by JimboHC:

Dear Steve (if I may),

"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 09:20 AM

My email:

"We are happy to advise you that your order is now in transit. Unfortunately
we are experiencing a small delay of approximately 2-3 working days ( in
addition to our original quote of 3-5 working days) on this shipment."

So Monday is out of the question. Could be more like Thursday or Friday.... A bit shabby.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 10:08 AM

!!!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Sep 19, 2017 at 07:58 AM. )

Riddler
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 12:55 PM

<sarcasm>Hey guys stop moaning! Just nip down to your friendly Mac Mad PC World and pick up one of the hundreds of copies of Panther which will be lining the shelves! I'm sure one of the experts there will be able to give you some installation advice too!</sarcasm>

Seriously, Apple UK deserve a right bollocking for this.

I remember three years ago the order status for my G4 order never worked, 3 years later and it still doesn't work.

( Last edited by Riddler; Oct 27, 2003 at 08:13 AM. )
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by JimboHC:

Dear Steve (if I may),
This letter is being copy/edited/pasted and sent to that email address of Steves posted above. I suggest every body else who ordered Panther from the UK Apple store do the same.
100's of emails from pissed UK customers will have to have some sort effect.
P.S. On line petitions are a waste of time, has one ever had any effect?
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Oct 25, 2003 at 01:28 PM. )

The Shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 01:35 PM

This is the one I sent.

I nicked the first bit from tomdavidson69's post as I thought it made a good point.

Dear Mr Jobs

EVERYBODY in the states is melting on how Apple so obviously pulled out all the stops with Fed-Ex and they've all got their lovely new Panther...

The situation in the UK could not be more different.

Apple UK have sent all their pre-ordered software via parcel post (allow 10 business days for delivery)

Tracking orders is impossible due to them having chosen the cheapest shipping option which is of lower priority than even our second class post.

When ordering, UK customers did not even have the option of choosing to pay a shipping fee for express delivery.

It is now Saturday 25th October at 12.14 pm BST and there is no sign of my software.

When I pre-order a piece of equipment or software on the day it is posted on the Apple UK website I expect it to arrive on the launch day otherwise why bother?

Jaguar arrived on time last year so why not Panther?

I know it's not the end of civilization as we know it and perhaps I should get a life rather than firing off emails to the CEO because I can't have what I want right now, but frankly the service we loyal customers have gotten from Apple UK with the Panther release has been simply unacceptable.

I might as well have waited in line at an Apple reseller with everyone else.

I think yourself and your senior management team ought to seriously consider giving whoever in the UK is responsible for this farce a darned good kick right where it hurts!

Regards

Steve Cresswell

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 03:29 PM

I suggest you send an email to the Apple Store including the following points:-

Demand a refund under the sale of goods act, failing to deliver as per agreed contract, i.e. you agreed a delivery date of 'Evening on the 24th October' as per the graphic on the Apple web site. All comunications about 10 days delivery were sent after you contracted for the item and as such are not valid. You ordered because you saw that the goods would be delivered on the 24th and no later.

Refer the issue to the Advertising Standards Authority as they cover Internet Ads as well, make sure you tell Apple about this.

Refer it to your local UK Trading Standards office, again let Apple know.

Contact your Credit Card company and tell them that goods ordered have not arrived, they are obliged to give you a full refund as you have not received the goods. Tell Apple that you are requesting a refund from the CC company.

Then :-

Buy yourself a copy of OS X 10.3 from a store if you can.

If the item arrives then you can just leave it for Apple to collect, or you can reject the item as an unsolicited item. If you keep it Apple will have no evidence that it actually arrived as they chose the cheap no tracking Parcel Post option.

We need to give Apple a bloody nose over this, for treating UK customers very badly, you should stand up for your consumer rights and report them to all parties.

Make sure you send a copy of your email to :[email protected]

Ian

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 06:33 PM

I just thought I'd say thanks for the positive feedback on my open letter to SJ! I thought I might have received a lot of negative feedback for being negative myself. I was also considering sending it to thesjobs address just to see what reaction we would get.

I'm alos tempted to send it to the UK Mac mags - they did at least bother to feature Simon X's online petition.

Again, thanks for the kind words - it's good to know people still care about issues that piss us off!

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 07:17 PM

I'm not surprised that most of you haven't got Panther from the Apple Store. Last order I made was an iBook which I swiftly cancelled after reading the 3 week ship date. I got the same spec machine the next day from another retailer! Fortunately I downloaded my current copy of Panther and am currently awaiting my developer CD pack which was shipped from Cupertino on Thursday. I bet I get them before some of you get your UK shipped ones! Apple UK is a total joke.

JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 08:09 AM

Ok folks, after the positive reaction to the 'open letter' I have mailed it off to his Steveness. I wonder which minion will be protecting the Reality Distortion Field this week!

Also posted it on other forums including OSXFaq, Macworld UK and MacUser UK. Any other suggestions?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 09:42 AM

Today (Sunday 26th Oct) I spoke to an Apple sales person in a store in Manchester.

He told me that he had heard officially from Apple that most people would not be receiving their Panther Apple Store orders before Tuesday next week.

So it seems this was a deliberate action by Apple to make sure lots of people did not get their orders until well after the event, WHY?

What was more anoying was the fact the the store I visited had lots of copies in stock, and have had them since Friday night.

So what was the point of ordering from the Apple Store?

Forum Links
Forum Rules