Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing OS X on a mac w/o CD drive.

Installing OS X on a mac w/o CD drive.
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 06:33 PM

I have an iMac Slot loading that has a non-functioning CD drive.

I want to install a fresh copy of OS X on it, the system is having a lot of trouble from being tinkered with by my brother (installs of things found on version tracker, etc.)

Is there a way I can do this over my network, I don't have OS X server... I do have restore disks from my PB12inch, FP iMac, and the Slot loading iMac, is there a network install on those?

Thanks!

-Owl

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2004, 06:48 PM

Does the iMac have a FireWire port? You could use Target Disk Mode.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 09:19 PM

Maybe making disk images of the cds then putting them onto the imac through the network? Not sure if it would work, give it a try. I don't think that you will be able to boot from them though... O well.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 06:21 AM

Other than NetBoot or Firewire Target Disk mode, there's nothing else I can think off to install Mac OS X. Which iMac model is this? Maybe you could have the CD drive fixed?

I doubt that booting off a USB device works, but booting off a Firewire drive works -- don't know how that'll help unless you have an external Firewire CD/DVD drive.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 07:52 AM

You would need to clone the installation from another iMac across the network. It would have to be on a different partition (<8GB) than the one running the iMac at the time (OS9?).

Otherwise, sell it or fix it!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 09:20 AM

I don't think the slot-loading iMacs fall into the <8 GB category. Or at least mine didn't (iMac DV+ Summer 2000/ 450MHz/ 512 MB RAM / 20 GB HDD). Unless it is a DV model, it probably won't have FireWire.

Check out http://www.bombich.com/software/ . What you're going to want to do is make a disk image of a functional Mac OS X system. Then use NetRestore to blast that image onto the iMac's drive. If you look around that site he's got pretty detailed instructions on how to accomplish this.

The only other thing I can think of would be to replace the HDD in your flat panel iMac with the one from your slot-loading iMac and install that way�

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 12:06 AM

hmm, thanks for all the tips! I will keep an eye out for a firewire cable

I holy have one for my DV camera, and one with a dock connector for my iPod.

-Owl

wg2499
Jan 18, 2004, 06:22 AM

I had the same situation ..I took the drive out and hooked it up to a firewire enclosure and installed from my powerbook .. works fine...
12" 867 PB 640 SD T68i REMOTE

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 02:03 PM

The easiest way (without getting anything new) is to partition the HD and make one of the partitions into a duplicate of the OS X install CD 1. You can transfer the image across the network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules