Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Which is better?

Which is better?
Keifer
Apr 2, 2004, 09:19 PM

Firstly, I don't know quite where to put this, in the gfx design fourm, or here. It's alittle bit of both. Anywho...

What is the most popular program to make your interfaces in? So far, I've been using Sodipodi (read: Illustrator) and Gimp (2.0 pre 3) for most of my work. (mainly widget's and stuff, although I toyed with a few concepts for the mockup contest, I never had the time to finish them though.) Recently I've been toying with the idea of doing most of the work in a 3D app, and just doing tuchups and stuff with the sodipodi/gimp combo.

So, what is the most popular method with you <suckup mode> smart, talented </suckup mode> guys?

-Keifer
"keyfur"

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 10:11 PM

I'm a standard Photoshop-to-Theme Park guy. Lately I've been messing around with my graphics tablet more in regards to themes (inspired by a thread on this board, heh), but as far as software goes I keep it simple.
DigitalRamen sucks.

mac15
Senior User
Apr 2, 2004, 10:22 PM

Photoshop for me, I'd most of the guys used Photoshop. Would it be cool if you could say a widget in Illustrator and because of its Vector output when you bring it back into themepark it would resize to match the other smaller elements

Using 3D would lengthen the process of making everything. 3D->Photoshop->Themepark . Although if you did your mockup entirely in a 3D app well you could have some interesting results

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2004, 12:38 AM

And if you had several renders for every element in the theme which you composited together in Photoshop you'd be insa... nevermind.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2004, 01:26 AM

3D is a great starting point for lighting and surfacing studies, but Photoshop (or something as powerful) is the only way to go. Straight 3D renders don't work well for things like themes (all 3D renders need touching up anyways) becuse the surface diffusion with anything other than top-down parallel lights makes tiling, etc a pain.

idle
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2004, 04:24 AM

you know, i thought about rendering "sweet slumber" in a 3Dapp (with all the necessary refinements of course) but then decided that my analogue skills are no match compared to my 3D skills and that i'd be better off doing it that way. SO, i ended up doing all the drawing (including shading) on paper, scanned all the images and then enhanced them in Photoshop.
I think i'll have to touch up my knowledge about rendering somewhere in the near future though. I've already got a few a neat ideas for shortmovies...

[ idle. ]

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by justinp:
And if you had several renders for every element in the theme which you composited together in Photoshop you'd be
bbx

Forum Links
Forum Rules