Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > itunes skins?

itunes skins?
DoGoodDrugs
Apr 5, 2004, 08:39 PM

i was wondering where i can get skins for itunes, the only place i know of is www.resexcellence.com anyone know any others.

specifically im looking for an orange or purple based theme.

thanks,
DGD

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2004, 08:52 PM

the search function is your friend. i think this was up about a month ago. you might be disappointed with the skins tho. orange and purple arent really possible, except for highlights. something about greyscale limiting color. i wasnt really listening

Keifer
Apr 5, 2004, 09:02 PM

Yeah, iTunes is very confineing on what you can and can't do with themes. The best way to get around that problem would be to code a new front end, which i'm doing, but that is kind of difficult. (for a noob like me atleast. I'm still looking for a applescript tutorial that 'clicks')

-K
"keyfur"

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 09:50 PM

Haha Dan. Mmk here it goes again. I should really save this on a text file and copy and paste it whenever someone has a question like this again.

In the iTunes resource file there is a file with the ID of 1024. The graphic file that is in 1024 will control the background color of iTunes... to a point. Probably hard-coded into iTunes, is a gradient that makes a brighter shine in the center and darker highlights on the sides. Take for example the default iTunes, the graphic in 1024 is just the brushed lines that are tiled in the background of iTunes. Its a pretty small graphic, something like 145 x 145. The gradient will overlay on top of this graphic and make it look like a normal brushed metal app without actually drawing from the system brushed metal (which themes theme). Other examples are the app iTunesNoBrush. That replaces the iTunes resource file with one that simply has a white graphic in 1024. This still gives it a metal look (except none of the horizontal lines customary to brushed metal). Lastly, the theme maker DSKY (of NEOS fame) created a black iTunes skin that tried to emulate the look of NEOS. The graphic in 1024 of that resouce file is completely black although it looks a bit greyish. I have no idea of any future plans for SS in this regard, but since Jason (smeger) was able to change the Panther Finder so drastically, maybe he can do something with iTunes...

Sorry if that gets a bit complicated.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Apr 5, 2004, 10:08 PM

i know that the brushed metal isnt colorable, i was talking more like the buttons, icons?, all the blue stuff.

thanks.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2004, 10:37 PM

Oh, well, I dont know of any place other than ResEx for finding iTunes themes. DSKY and Max Rudberg have released iTunes skins with their themes...

DSKY is here:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...ky%2F&lp=ja_en

Thats the translated site

Max is here:

http://www.maxthemes.com/

As far as I know, Rhapsodized is the only guiKit to feature an iTunes skin although he is planning updates to his other themes.

You can always make a purple or orange theme if you want

[edit:
Those should skins should give you a good idea of just how skinnable iTunes is. The NEOS skin is the most complete skin Ive seen. Its pretty amazing. Check it out
]

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Apr 6, 2004, 08:06 AM

thanks for the info. but i couldnt find the itunes themes. i downloaded the latest version of rhapsodized but couldnt find the itunes theme. is it in the theme file or what? im glad i did find it though cause i like the orange icons that come with it.

so i know this is probably just a stupid too early in the morning to think question but where is the itunes theme in the rhapsodized download. the only place i didnt check was inside the theme itself because im using 10.2.8 and dont have the program to open themes for 10.3. i did download the theme package for 10.3 because thats the version with the itunes skin right?

thanks for everyones help.
DGD

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 10:33 AM

The iTunes skin is embedded into the guiKit (10.3) file. This is the case for both. Im not sure if guiKitty can run in Jag but try it out here:

http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000314.php

Just drag the guiKit file on this application and it will create a folder with all of the elements inside it. There should be app skins in there although I have yet to try it out on a theme that does have appskins. Good luck

DoGoodDrugs  (op)
Apr 6, 2004, 12:01 PM

thank you very much holigen, you have been of much help. guikitty does run just fine in jaguar so im here with all the resources which is really cool, but when i manually install the itunes.rsrc file then open itunes i get a library error of some sorts. if i replace the orginal itunes.rsrc file it runs fine.

so my question now is, this file must be different between jag and panther, but with all the images there, im pretty sure i could cut and paste parts of the .rsrc file from the one for panther to the one from my jag system right? whats the best program for editing .rsrc files?

thanks a mil,
DGD

p.s. i havnt really gotten into modding my system in X till now. i used to do it in classic all the time. when i get most of this modding done ill show you a snapshot, which i must say is gonna be awsome, it looks great already, pretty much all i have left to do is itunes, maybe some other apps, and some more icons.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2004, 07:13 PM

Well, I suggest resedit if you still have classic on your computer. Its really a good app. It can be found at resexcellence. If you dont, try ThemePark. Im pretty sure that it works with Jag as well. Just drop the .rsrc on any of those two apps and click on the pict resources. Hope that helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules