Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Filemaker Pro 7 or Daylite?

Filemaker Pro 7 or Daylite?
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 01:35 AM

Can Filemaker Pro 7 send email and track events, appointments to a calendar and sync with a Palm like Daylite?

I was all set to get Daylite because it seemed customizable enough to do what I need--contact management, projects, tasks, send email in bulk. Although I'm not into sales but more needing to keep track of people, commitments, follow-up, projects and meetings Daylite was my first choice.

Now while browsing around I see that I can upgrade to Filemaker Pro 7 for $149, Daylite is the same price. I like the new features of FMP, like adding photos and movies which Daylite doesn't do, but I'm not sure I can set up FMP to do what Daylite does and I really don't want to spend my time creating a database that's not efficient.

The problem is where do I spend the $149--the FMP offer ends in Sept. so I've got time, but I need the CRM much sooner. Can anyone compare and contrast the features of each?

Any thoughts?

thanks

clarat

Wickedkitten
Jun 3, 2004, 03:28 AM

Filemaker and Daylite are completely different beasts. If you are wanting Contact Management you would certainly want Daylite.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
Can Filemaker Pro 7 send email and track events, appointments to a calendar and sync with a Palm like Daylite?

I was all set to get Daylite because it seemed customizable enough to do what I need--contact management, projects, tasks, send email in bulk. Although I'm not into sales but more needing to keep track of people, commitments, follow-up, projects and meetings Daylite was my first choice.

Now while browsing around I see that I can upgrade to Filemaker Pro 7 for $149, Daylite is the same price. I like the new features of FMP, like adding photos and movies which Daylite doesn't do, but I'm not sure I can set up FMP to do what Daylite does and I really don't want to spend my time creating a database that's not efficient.

The problem is where do I spend the $149--the FMP offer ends in Sept. so I've got time, but I need the CRM much sooner. Can anyone compare and contrast the features of each?

Any thoughts?

thanks

clarat

Thank you. I need to place the order for Daylite and be done with it. I'll hold off on Filmaker until later in the summer.

Thanks for helping with the coin toss.

Clarat

iSwitched2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2004, 12:56 AM

I actually had the exact same dilemma. This is what I settled on:

1) Trial versions of Filemaker 7, Daylite, and CRM4MAC (www.crm4mac.com

2) Ended up purchasing Filemaker 7 and CRM4Mac

...Daylite was just a bit too much for my needs and I personally couldn't justify dropping another 150. Filemaker 7 is much more versatile and Crm4Mac works great with iCal and Address Book (and is much cheaper)

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by iSwitched2:
I actually had the exact same dilemma. This is what I settled on:

1) Trial versions of Filemaker 7, Daylite, and CRM4MAC (www.crm4mac.com

2) Ended up purchasing Filemaker 7 and CRM4Mac

...Daylite was just a bit too much for my needs and I personally couldn't justify dropping another 150. Filemaker 7 is much more versatile and Crm4Mac works great with iCal and Address Book (and is much cheaper)

Aaaaaww! I HAD to read this post again didn't I?! Thought for sure I'd be going with Daylite but just checked out CRM4Mac and it looks promising. How'd you find it? I've been doing searches for crms for apple and never spotted it.

You did the smart move and had all 3 trials going at the same time. I used up Daylite already but will download Filemaker and CRM4Mac and let you know.

Thanks for posting. . .I think?

Sometime there are just too many choices.

clarat

iSwitched2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2004, 02:18 AM

Haha...sorry!

I actually found Crm4Mac on this forum. Somewhere on here the link is posted. it's a simple app. really, but does exactly what I need -- keeping track of correspondence with people and integrates the address book/ical/mail.

I did think Daylite was a great program. But like someone said, it's definitely a beast and one can spend weeks learning it!

Wickedkitten
Jun 5, 2004, 01:35 PM

try this one as well as there is a trial, its like crm4macs

http://www.objective-decision.com/en...tact/features/

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Wickedkitten:
try this one as well as there is a trial, its like crm4macs

http://www.objective-decision.com/en...tact/features/

Cut it out!! I'm becoming a download junkie! But I'm having fun. . .going nowhere in a hurry with all this searching and testing.

Mmmm has anyone diddled around with Formation? http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ormation.html.

Although it's not a CRM, it does seem to be nice little program for getting the pieces and papers of one's life in order--I stumbled on to it in my quest for the perfect solution.

Cheers. . . .and, well-thanks.

Clarat

Wickedkitten
Jun 6, 2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
Cut it out!! I'm becoming a download junkie! But I'm having fun. . .going nowhere in a hurry with all this searching and testing.

Mmmm has anyone diddled around with Formation? http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ormation.html.

Although it's not a CRM, it does seem to be nice little program for getting the pieces and papers of one's life in order--I stumbled on to it in my quest for the perfect solution.

Cheers. . . .and, well-thanks.

Clarat
I really, REALLY like Formation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules