Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > So.. what's coming soon?

So.. what's coming soon?
ambush
Banned
Jun 10, 2004, 07:09 AM

Any new great themes? The scene's been pretty quiet lately... with boozo's new job and swiz's.... absence....

sup with bbx, btw???

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 07:41 AM

I should be releasing Changeling in the next couple of days, I am hoping it will be great.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 07:56 AM

I'm working myself on a couple of new themes (nothing very
spectacular but nice enough to be released) at a really slow
pace.. too much things to do right now with my family and
my job..
I hope to finish one of them in a month or so..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 09:13 AM

Just waiting for BBX's, and Exec. Should be good.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 09:23 AM

Contest themes are being worked on, and while work is going slow, it's five great themes in the works

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by rezonate:
Just waiting for BBX's, and Exec. Should be good.
Ah yes, Omega. That certainly was a one-hit wonder, even without being released. It's like if the Beatles, at the pinnacle of their popularity, had said, "We're going to release a great new song that will revolutionize rock and roll," and then never did it.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 11:20 AM

Wasn't Omega meant to be out in January, or thereabouts?
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 11:45 AM

We're actually still waiting for an update to ShapeShifter before Omega can be released I think.

1 Monkey at a typewriter could have updated it by now.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 12:17 PM

Omega comes with shape shifter 1.5, I don't know why it's so difficult to understand.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 12:24 PM

Anyone know when Shapeshifter 1.5 is coming out?

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by rezonate:
Anyone know when Shapeshifter 1.5 is coming out?
Yes... Soon!!!

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 01:29 PM

I've been hard at work on ShapeShifter, there's lots of cool stuff in the works.

The problem, of course, is that I did all the easy (and quick!) stuff first, and you've already seen the end-product. Things get progressively more difficult as I proceed.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Yes... Soon!!!
After ShapeShifter 1.3, 1.4, 1.4.5, 1.4.9, 1.4.9.1....

Oh, then the 1.5 alphas, betas, final candidates, gold masters, etc. etc.

Should be fun!

Dragon T
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 02:10 PM

Does anyone know which features Omega is waiting for from 1.5?
Are there new yummy features that I should know about? =)
I have a 'handful' of themes coming =)
D . R . A . G . O . N
. .
T . O . N . G . U . E

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Dragon T:
Does anyone know which features Omega is waiting for from 1.5?
Are there new yummy features that I should know about? =)
I have a 'handful' of themes coming =)
I don't pre-announce features, so anything you might hear along these lines will be pure speculation. Sorry.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
I don't pre-announce features, so anything you might hear along these lines will be pure speculation. Sorry.
you told bbx what features there will be in 1.5. or, bbx told you what features there better be in 1.5.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 03:00 PM

That's not an announcement.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 03:03 PM

:: watches thread slowly derail, then teeter back... then go right back to the edge of the cliff again ::
( Last edited by wibs; Jun 10, 2004 at 03:59 PM. )
DigitalRamen sucks.

Dragon T
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 03:13 PM

That's ok... I guess I was just reacting to the tail end of a rumour. =)
D . R . A . G . O . N
. .
T . O . N . G . U . E

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 03:32 PM

I am glad that we aren't being teased with ShapeShifter 1.5 details. I don't think there should have ever been all the hype surrounding Omega, since it is now regarded as the 'theme that never was'.

Some things are better left mysterious.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 03:40 PM

watches wibs watching thread....

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2004, 03:41 PM

I've been hard at work on ShapeShifter, there's lots of cool stuff in the works.

The problem, of course, is that I did all the easy (and quick!) stuff first, and you've already seen the end-product. Things get progressively more difficult as I proceed.

Hi, dude!

Don't worry. I think we are all aware of the awful amount of work you have put in ShapeSifter, and how it is increasingly difficult to get more and more complex features in. I wont say I don't expect it inpatiently, as by all means I do! But take your time, and make it be what you have been hoping for.

Regards.

Tara.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jun 10, 2004, 03:57 PM

I personally can't wait to see Calabi

quandarry
Jun 10, 2004, 04:47 PM

translation: stuck in a mudpit after hitting a brickwall.

as for omega or whatever it's called, if it's not worth releasing a version in it's

present state it's probably a disappointment compared to recent releases from

other sources.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
as for omega or whatever it's called, if it's not worth releasing a version in it's

present state it's probably a disappointment compared to recent releases from

other sources.
It doesn't work right in it's present state. No one said anything about "worth releasing"

I don't blame the guy for not releasing a version that doesn't work right.

So many people ripping off themes.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
I personally can't wait to see Calabi
Ditto.

I'd like to see any of the remaining themes be released soon, actually.

quandarry
Jun 10, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
It doesn't work right in it's present state. No one said anything about "worth releasing"

I don't blame the guy for not releasing a version that doesn't work right.

So many people ripping off themes.
i said it...can't you get your grey matter around it?

oh so you are in the loop? what doesn't work? a button won't depress when pushed?

frankly i don't care and could care less if it ever shows up, but there are people here

that do. and quite frankly - what's his name, can't recall - started the baloney

himself many, many moons ago by starting a thread and it backfired.

ripped off themes on os x? where?

well i can think of one idiot, peter macwhinnie or something but he's been

straightened out.

otherwise i think you don't know anything, which you prove day in and day out

in the lounge where people tease you and make fun of you.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 06:20 PM

i said it...can't you get your grey matter around it?

oh so you are in the loop? what doesn't work? a button won't depress when pushed?

frankly i don't care and could care less if it ever shows up, but there are people here

that do. and quite frankly - what's his name, can't recall - started the baloney

himself many, many moons ago by starting a thread and it backfired.

ripped off themes on os x? where?

well i can think of one idiot, peter macwhinnie or something but he's been

straightened out.

otherwise i think you don't know anything, which you prove day in and day out

in the lounge where people tease you and make fun of you.

hey, hey. its not BBX's fault he's so arrogant that once his theme is even show a tiny bit its going to be copied in a matter of no time.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 06:28 PM

Personally I would like for ONCE to hear what ShapeShifter1.5 has to offer. And why 1.5!? Why not 1.3? Something really awesome has to happen, like transforming all Finder windows into round squares. Or convince Panic to send out an update to Audion3.0.2!

And that Omega-theme; it's just pixels for god's sake. How black can a black pixel get ? And in how many ways can a button look pushed when selected? Why not just release the sucker as a sort of try-out version with the "oh so great magically features" removed ?

Both ShapeShifter1.5 and Omega better have some sort of feature that will end world war and hunger or it will be considered vapourware.

Sorry but that Duality proggy sounds less vapourish as we go along. And as a person who bought nearly ALL Unsanity's apps, Why not say "well, since you are such a good customer we will let you in on a little secret: ShapeShifter1.5 will make warm popcorn and make coffee for you in the morning"

Stupid people says what ?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 06:32 PM

:: continues watching as thread plunges off cliff ::

:: uses Super-Secret Ulta Beta Enhanced Edition ShapeShifter 1.5 to butter popcorn to eat while watching ::

disclaimer: I do not have a Super-Secret Ultra Beta Enhanced Edition of ShapeShifter 1.5, and to the best of my knowledge it would not butter popcorn even if I did have it
DigitalRamen sucks.

Keifer
Jun 10, 2004, 08:37 PM

:: takes a seat next to wibs ::

:: steals a handfull of popcorn ::

:: settles in to watch the thread go over the cliff ::
"keyfur"

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 08:51 PM

ShapeShifter 1.5 does absolutely nothing magical whatsoever. It's simply the combination of all of the features that are being released in 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5. You've seen 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2, you haven't yet seen 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5. The upcoming features are cool, but they're not revolutionary, they're evolutionary.

SS 1.5 has gotten a lot of hype and I wish it hadn't, as there's absolutely no way it can live up to it. Will it be cool? I sure think so! Will it butter Wibs' popcorn? Hell no!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 09:21 PM

ShapeShifter 1.5 does absolutely nothing magical whatsoever. It's simply the combination of all of the features that are being released in 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5. You've seen 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2, you haven't yet seen 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5. The upcoming features are cool, but they're not revolutionary, they're evolutionary.

SS 1.5 has gotten a lot of hype and I wish it hadn't, as there's absolutely no way it can live up to it. Will it be cool? I sure think so! Will it butter Wibs' popcorn? Hell no!
Guys, think about ShapeShifter 1.2. It brought application skins, a minor revolution in itself. It brought unlimited sized window backgrounds, which opens up a huge realm of possibilities. It brought the foundations for guikit:// linking, which could be used very effectively in the future once other extras are wrapped into the format. It sped up theme loading by about ten fold. And probably other things I forgot to mention. Now imagine another similar update for 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5. I'm not gonna be disappointed.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 09:28 PM

Will it butter Wibs' popcorn? Hell no!
that... that was just uncalled for!

:: breaks down and cries ::
DigitalRamen sucks.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Guys, think about ShapeShifter 1.2. It brought application skins, a minor revolution in itself.
Application Skinning was possible way before 1.2.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
Ah, the joys of manually switching resources or dealing with a different app for skinning each application.

Just because it was around doesn't mean it was easy, fun, or necessarily worth it. Would I ever in my life take the time to manually install a theme's elements for the Installer? Not a chance! Do I get a little smile when I notice a themer took the time to make it a part of a guiKit? Definitely.

Simply being first to market does not mean anything that comes later is no good. It just means it was first, and generally has all the bugs and flaws of anything exploring new territory. Thankfully other applications (aka ShapeShifter) know a good idea when they see it and learn from earlier mistakes.

I like ShapeShifter a lot, and I think Jason is great. But I'm not some SS fanboi - I'd still use something else (Duality?) if it was better. The fact is that there isn't anything better.
DigitalRamen sucks.

Keifer
Jun 10, 2004, 10:17 PM

yeah, that was a pain.

:: keifer steals wibs popcorn bucket ::
"keyfur"

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
Ah, the joys of manually switching resources or dealing with a different app for skinning each application.

Just because it was around doesn't mean it was easy, fun, or necessarily worth it. Would I ever in my life take the time to manually install a theme's elements for the Installer? Not a chance! Do I get a little smile when I notice a themer took the time to make it a part of a guiKit? Definitely.

Simply being first to market does not mean anything that comes later is no good. It just means it was first, and generally has all the bugs and flaws of anything exploring new territory. Thankfully other applications (aka ShapeShifter) know a good idea when they see it and learn from earlier mistakes.

I like ShapeShifter a lot, and I think Jason is great. But I'm not some SS fanboi - I'd still use something else (Duality?) if it was better. The fact is that there isn't anything better.
no, no. you're misunderstanding me. everyone praises SS because of its many "firsts," while half of them were possible before hand. SafarIcon is an easy to use Safari button switcher, you personally don't have to manually replace anything, yet it was overlooked when SS 1.2 (or was it 1.1?) came along because it's now "that much easier." next thing you know, they'll be toting how they were the first to switch icons, when CandyBar has been doing that since 10.2.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 11:04 PM

no, no. you're misunderstanding me. everyone praises SS because of its many "firsts," while half of them were possible before hand. SafarIcon is an easy to use Safari button switcher, you personally don't have to manually replace anything, yet it was overlooked when SS 1.2 (or was it 1.1?) came along because it's now "that much easier." next thing you know, they'll be toting how they were the first to switch icons, when CandyBar has been doing that since 10.2.
Well, okay, there was SafarIcon. What else was there? There certainly weren't as many single installers for application makeovers as there are in ShapeShifter, and even if there were, I'm not so sure themers would skinning all the applications that they are now. Not to mention the fact that while SafarIcon was easy enough to use and was easier than replacing the elements manually, it was still annoying and slow.

Also, you go from saying that everyone else (i.e. not smeger/Unsanity) praises SS for it's "firsts" to saying that smeger/Unsanity will be claiming other "firsts" before we know it.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 01:05 AM

I don't think we've ever claimed to be the first to offer app skinning. We're not, and I'm well aware of it. We are, however, the first to offer skinning for multiple apps in a single, safe, easy-to-use package.

It seems there's often a perception problem on the internet. Some random person will say something about ShapeShifter or about APE or whatever, and later, that quote gets attributed to Unsanity when we never actually said anything about it.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 01:21 AM

Sure. But I'd call having 15 application skins installed on one click along with a theme a minor revolution. In the past, this would involve switching a theme, applying a skin in Safaricon, applying a skin in iChat Themer, then opening package installers for any others that themers may have included, which were almost always none. Fun huh?

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 05:08 AM

Who cares about BBX ? I've waited so long I won't even like it...
And about SS 1.5 ? Unsanity has done a great job, and SS works perfect ! Why always wait for the next release when the current is good ?

FB Eye
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 11:45 AM

Ok back to our main topic...

What's coming soon? I don't know 'cuz I don't own a crystal ball, but...

For starters, Izawa has been very silent lately
I sincerely hope he's whipping up something yummy for us all...

I might be wrong, but isn't Max doing NickelCobalt? And what contest winner is Swiz doing again? I hope Swiz isn't retiring for real this time!!!

And if any themer is looking for inspiration, I'd go nuts over a theme inspired by this
That'd be suh-weet Since alot of texture is involded on that pic, the allmighty Dragon Tongue might be interested? Pleeeaaaaase?

Buh-bye now

Keifer
Jun 11, 2004, 04:48 PM

It's not really worth mentioning, but I've started on my first theme. It's semi-dark, and will probably have a konfab widdget to go with it. It'll probably be out sometime after Shapesifter 2.999999999.2 (it would be out sooner, but I'm going to try and dual release it for osx/linux.)

Of course, it's probably going to suck, but if you dig sucky themes, you can look forward to it!
"keyfur"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 06:24 PM

next thing you know, they'll be toting how they were the first to switch icons, when CandyBar has been doing that since 10.2.
I sure hope they don't. Both Duality 3 and 4 have icon set changers. They wouldn't even be the first theme changer to do icons.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 11, 2004, 08:03 PM

Dragon T
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Ok back to our main topic...
...if any themer is looking for inspiration, I'd go nuts over a theme inspired by this
That'd be suh-weet Since alot of texture is involded on that pic, the allmighty Dragon Tongue might be interested? Pleeeaaaaase?
sure ... I'll give that a try =)
a nice challenge =) lol
D . R . A . G . O . N
. .
T . O . N . G . U . E

Forum Links
Forum Rules