Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > About Tiger...

View Poll Results: Do you think Apple will clean up Aqua's interface in Mac OS 10.4 Tiger?
Poll Options:
Sure, they're bound to update those outdated scroll bars and widgets! 18 votes (29.51%)
Yeah right, they still won't touch 'em! 21 votes (34.43%)
Apple will have a completely fresh new interface waiting for us! 16 votes (26.23%)
I'd be happy with a couple of new Desktop Pictures. 6 votes (9.84%)
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll
About Tiger...
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2004, 07:10 PM

Okay... this is the second time around for this kind of thing... but, do you think Apple will get off their lazy butts and fix Progress Bars, Scroll Bars and Title Bar widgets in the next full version of OS X?

If they do... I'd be soo happy... cause EVERYONE would have a consistent OS, instead of just us theme users (a lot of people don't even know about this interface issue with the stock OS X GUI)

Maybe they'll fix this, maybe they won't or maybe... just MAYBE they'll have a whole super new GUI that looks really professional (I doubt it). What do you guys think?

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2004, 07:18 PM

I don't know about touching exactly what you want them to touch, but I'd very surprised if there wasn't more refinement, kind of like how 10.2 toned down the stripes. There's always room for improvement, but they're really going backwards if they redo the whole thing. I'll eat my alarm clock if 10.4 is a hugely significant change from 10.3.
DigitalRamen sucks.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2004, 07:37 PM

Now I really hope they change the whole interface... I really wanna see Wibs eat his alarm clock?

Why alarm clock?.... actually that would be convenient... you would definately wake up on time if your clock was inside you.... good thinking.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 08:23 PM

10.3's aqua is uglier than 10.1's aqua.. let's just leave it at that.

IF they don't update it, somebody's going to be hanging from a wire in an elevator shaft at apple's HQ
Aloha

mac15
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 08:29 PM

Since this a gui forum things should only be gui specific. I'd love to see them update the default icons, to me they're old and tired. And a clock at the login menu would be great!

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Why alarm clock?.... actually that would be convenient... you would definately wake up on time if your clock was inside you.... good thinking.
Actually it's because there's one sitting in front of me that doesn't have any batteries. The last thing I need is battery acid leaking into my stomach .
DigitalRamen sucks.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jun 12, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Link:

IF they don't update it, somebody's going to be hanging from a wire in an elevator shaft at apple's HQ
I disagree, the stripes and blurriness of most of the elements in 10.1 was horrible.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Keifer
Jun 12, 2004, 09:30 PM

I think it would be great if apple completly changed the way they make their gui look. For me, the candy-ish look of aqua in jaguare was annoying, the the brushed metal of tiger made me cry, (really! I broke down in tears!)

personaly, I think it would be great if apple maybe took a page out of kde/gnome's collective books, and allow themeing by default. I doubt it though. infact, if they do, I'll eat wibs!

(wibs: you want to be careful, the shards of plastic could really hurt. Remember to chew it *really* well. )
"keyfur"

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2004, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Keifer:
infact, if they do, I'll eat wibs!
I'm afraid you'll have to wait in line - I'm magically delicious.
DigitalRamen sucks.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2004, 11:10 PM

I read somewhere that "GUI enhancements" were on the list for major new features in Tiger. I also can't imagine that they won't somehow update Aqua. They have for every single other update. It just depends on how thoroughly they refresh it. I'm with Mac15; I vote for updating all the icons. I'll even let them stay the exact same shape as long as they make them a bit cleaner and shinier.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2004, 11:31 PM

Panther is the nicest looking Aqua, but Aqua's old. I just hope they make things better for themers even if unintentional. Heck if they work theme support into it finally, that'd be something to party over. But as long as ShapeShifter works as well as it does now or better I'll be happy.
click one

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by Link:

I totally disagree
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Jun 13, 2004 at 12:15 PM. )

quandarry
Jun 13, 2004, 03:59 AM

i think the standard aqua appearance will remain with some major/minor refinements...but it still will be aqua...perhaps the colors will be a bit more diluted (not as bright)

but i think there will be no graphite variant as such...instead i think the aqua variant will be more pro appish.

and i also think the boundaries of the elements in the extras rsrc will be more favorable to themeing.

Macanoid
Senior User
Jun 13, 2004, 12:33 PM

I for one would love it if they'd use the look as used on the pages:

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/
http://www.apple.com/logic/

Flat but really stylish I think!

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
Okay... this is the second time around for this kind of thing... but, do you think Apple will get off their lazy butts and fix Progress Bars, Scroll Bars and Title Bar widgets in the next full version of OS X?
What is wrong with the Progress Bards, Scroll Bars and Title Bar widgets? I can�t see any inconsistent things there

@Topic I want a new Finder without the Brushed Metal part, I changed almost all my windows to Aqua, the bad thing with it are the missing toolbars and often they switch back to brushed metal for no reason that�s very annoying

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
I for one would love it if they'd use the look as used on the pages:

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/
http://www.apple.com/logic/

Flat but really stylish I think!
Whoa! I really like how the Shake site looks. Final Cut Express too.

http://www.apple.com/shake/
http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

Might have to spend some time in Photoshop and ThemePark today. Trying to comprehend how Carbon buttons will work in Black Plastic has been destroying my spirits.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by MetalSnake:
What is wrong with the Progress Bards, Scroll Bars and Title Bar widgets? I can�t see any inconsistent things there

@Topic I want a new Finder without the Brushed Metal part, I changed almost all my windows to Aqua, the bad thing with it are the missing toolbars and often they switch back to brushed metal for no reason that�s very annoying
The progress bars and scroll bars haven't been updated since Mac OS X was introduced, I believe. While the buttons and most of the other elements have been flattened out and cleaned up, the progress bars and scroll bars are still fuzzy and more bulging than the others. The titlebar widgets have their own issues. The ones on the left are meant to look embedded, but the bevel is too sharp and the widgets are still the old, duller style. The toolbar widget also has a weird stroke around it that wasn't there before.

Also, the small sized push buttons are still the 10.2 style. You can see this by opening the About This Mac window and comparing those buttons to the ones that come up when you press the machine's power button. You can also compare the rest of Panther's Aqua to Max's repaired SmoothStripes if you still don't see what I mean (http://www.maxthemes.com/maxthemes/t...othstripes.htm).

And if you hate brushed metal, you can remove it from almost anywhere with Unsanity's Metallifizer (http://www.unsanity.net/beta/metallifizer-13a1.zip).

BurningBright
Jun 13, 2004, 01:38 PM

buttons?

(I know, they aren't too bad anyway, but updated?

I have no credentials whatsoever to post here.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2004, 01:42 PM

I quite like the xserve page, the title area and the links, nice.

http://www.apple.com/xserve/
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

JoE950
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2004, 04:26 PM

wow i cant wait till every theme ive ever wasted bandwidth on will be obsolete and need updating. yes, bring it on apple! ! !

perhaps i should hold off on finishing up anything until after the damage report is in.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
wow i cant wait till every theme ive ever wasted bandwidth on will be obsolete and need updating. yes, bring it on apple! ! !

perhaps i should hold off on finishing up anything until after the damage report is in.
Hope they have WDC preview versions of Tiger like there were of Panther, that would really help us to know what we'll be dealing with early on.
click one

quandarry
Jun 13, 2004, 06:23 PM

after looking at some of those apple sites i wonder if apple may be going for a darker more professional look for the gui. that aqua look of their homepage is so very out dated. i know apple hired some biggies about a year ago to redo the whole design of the website and i wonder if those are glimpses of what the final overall look may be.

and since their site get it's look from their gui...i wonder if there may be if not a wholesale change to the gui but maybe options for different appearances.

things are just getting too inconsistent with the look of their iapps, pro apps, other apps, web pages and gui...

wishful thinking maybe but things have been really stale on the apple gui front and changes may be in store to show apples forward thinking in design.

even jobs must be getting tired of looking at the now old look of aqua and he seemed really excited about tiger when he announced it's showing at the wwdc.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 07:50 PM

I'd like to see a bit more of an interaction between the cursor and the interface, i.e. rollovers for controls, the cursor turning to a hand when it passes over part of a window that can be dragged (this is a bit ambiguous at the moment especially with the different properties of metal and aqua windows).

Also some expose interface enhancements such as a little button allowing you to close the window as well.

Like others I see the flattening of aqua, more professional and slick; hopefully this could manifest itself in the blue and graphite variants, with graphite actually changing the look not just colour of controls, although obviously the two states would need to be similar.

What I'd really like to see is everything done with vectors so that the interface could be scaled up or down with a slider, to suit your resolution, eyes, and minimalist tendencies.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
even jobs must be getting tired of looking at the now old look of aqua and he seemed really excited about tiger when he announced it's showing at the wwdc.
Well, if Jobs seemed excited, it must be HUGE! Seriously, it's his job. Even if it completely sucked, and he knew it, he would seem excited.

monkeybrain, I'm with you on the rollovers. It still surprises me that there aren't any already.
DigitalRamen sucks.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
What I'd really like to see is everything done with vectors so that the interface could be scaled up or down with a slider, to suit your resolution, eyes, and minimalist tendencies.
I like that idea, it would be really innovative. It might be a pain to theme though if it wasn't made open. Some how I doubt that will be the new Tiger interface though. hehe

I'm also for rollovers and more interactive GUI.
click one

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2004, 10:41 PM

Apple's already got Aqua drilled into our head. I mean, you can look at a thumbnail sized screenshot of OS X and know that it's OS X. Aqua creates the personality of OS X. The way things feel and the way people know them. It would be hard for Apple to just lose that and start over. Why would they start over now with a new GUI... that's something for OS 11 or something.

Don't you think? I would serioulsy be really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really surprised if they redo the entire GUI.

But, I do believe they're going to refine it. Just like in Jaguar and Panther, both have noticeable GUI changes. I can look at a screenshot of Jaguar and know it's not Panther just by the hard stripes or the ugly titlebar.

(I really typed all those "really"s by hand... no copy and pasting. 'Cause I'm a geek.)

Atomic Rooster
Jun 14, 2004, 02:12 AM

Tiger is gonna bight the balls off you wankers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules