Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > sacrifice can't run?!?

sacrifice can't run?!?
cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 06:10 PM

my brother has a game called sacrifice. it looks alright and i was interested in playing it, so i look at the requirements..

powermac G3/350 MHz
mac os 9.2 or later /128 MB ram
mac os 10.0.4 or later /128 MB ram

my computer is this..

iMac G4/800 MHz
mac os 10.3.5 256 MB ram

so i should be able to run it, right? wrong. for some reason the game crashes as soon as i try to launch it. why? i already wrote an email to macplay about it, but still waiting for a response. i have the latest updates and tried repairing permissions, but nothing i have done has made it work.

all i want to do is try the game out in multiplayer.

redJag
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 06:49 PM

Have you tried running it in Classic mode? Get info on the executable and check the box that says Run in Classic Mode. There may just be something Apple broke, and MacPlay hasn't corrected, since 10.0.4
Travis Sanderson

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 07:08 PM

my brother runs it fine in 10.3.5 though. only thing he has better than my computer is more MHz and more ram, but even still, i meet the requirements to run it.

i don't have classic on my imac, since i have nothing to run in it, i didn't install it with the last update.

Ashman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 11:43 AM

I remember there being a problem with running in OSX and needing a huge amount of RAM. I'm not 100% sure though. The bug does not effect classic from what I recall.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 12:01 PM

so i should try running it without anything else running?

i know i need more ram anyway, because sometimes my system seems to run slow.

edit:
i just quit everything, so only the finder was running and sacrifice still crashes when i launch it.

also, my brother and i both have 256 ram, but he can run it fine.
( Last edited by cruciarius; Sep 2, 2004 at 01:34 PM. )

Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 04:15 PM

Perhaps it's a video card thing. You guys probably don't have the same video card.. this is one of the things that comes to mind.

However, Sacrafice was known to be a very buggy game, and as such got poor reviews.

Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 04:15 PM

dp

Ashman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 03:32 AM

I just fired it up on my Dual 1.25GHz G4/1GB/Radeon9000/10.3.5. It seems to play fine other than the sound cutting out after a while.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2004, 10:18 AM

yeah, but you have more RAM and MHz than me. my brother only has more MHz than me and he can play it fine too. so i'm guessing that 800MHz is too low..? even though, the box says 350MHz was required..

Ashman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 12:14 PM

800MHz is fine for the game. Are you sure your brother only has 256MB of RAM? Have him check with the system profiler to be sure. It could also be that you don't have enough swap space available on your HD. I'm betting that running under 10.3.5 you either don't have enough RAM or your HD has less than 1GB free.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2004, 12:35 PM

yes, i'm sure he has 256 MB RAM. i double checked it just now.

it wouldn't even run with only the finder running and attempting to run sacrifice. it just crashes and brings up that error saying it unexpectedly quit.

i have other games that run perfectly fine...dungeon siege, warcraft 3, diablo 2, masters of orion 3, medal of honor, black and white...i think dungeon siege's requirements are higher than sacrifice, so i'm not understanding why it won't run. unless it has something against running on the iMac G4/800 MHz.

does anyone else have an iMac G4/800MHz (the 1st gen 15 inch flat panel iMac with superdrive) and can run sacrifice fine?

Forum Links
Forum Rules