Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > What's the criteria for a locked thread vs a moved one?

What's the criteria for a locked thread vs a moved one?
Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2004, 10:27 AM

Hi,

I often notice this: Threads made in wrong part of the forum f.ex a software question in the OS X forum gets either locked or moved.

That's not the big deal. I totally understand this, but when a person accidentially creates a thread in the wrong forum i notice that it often gets locked and not moved to the right part of the forums.

So what i'm really getting to is that the person will have to create a new thread in the right forum. And thus creating a even fuller forum with too many threads.

Does the author of a thread get a notice of why his post is not just moved rather than locked ?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 31, 2004, 06:08 PM

It takes less time to close a thread than to move one. We have lives (well, at least I do), so time is important.

Also very important is the fact that most misplaced threads aren't there "by mistake". They're misplaced because people refuse to read the forum descriptions that clearly indicate what belongs in what forum.

I refuse to pander to these people. Moving misplaced threads condones ignoring proper location, because then people think that the worst that can happen is that it gets moved. I don't want to encourage it, so I close them if they're in the wrong place. Only if I think the thread is of unusually high value will I leave it open and move it.

I do not notify, it's too time-consuming. I will often post the reason in the thread, though, after I close it.

tooki

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2005, 04:46 AM

ah, I see. Thanks for clearing it up.

I was under the impression that people did not post in the wrong forum by will rather by accident.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 1, 2005, 07:21 PM

Well, some do post in the wrong place by accident (how, I don't know!). But most are just people who didn't take the 3 minutes to look at the forum descriptions.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules