Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 17" iMac desk space issue

17" iMac desk space issue
salaryman
Jul 18, 2005, 06:22 PM

i'm trying to decide between a 15" G4 powerbook or a 17" G5 iMac but the issue is space. i live in a tiny apartment and my desk is only 38cm deep! the powerbook would fit nicely but given that the iMac is a faster G5 and nearly half the price, i'd quite like to go for one of these... but will it fit on my tiny desk and be useable? can anyone measure for me?!?!

i'm also slightly concerned about shelling out over $2000 for a G4 powerbook which might be superceded in a few months.

can anyone help? i'd be interested in your opinions...

johnzoidberg
Jul 18, 2005, 07:32 PM

The footprint of the iMac G5 17-inch is tiny, MUCH smaller than the footprint of the PowerBook 15-inch. The entire computer is suspended on a stand whose foot is about 7 square inches big. This is without the keyboard, of course, but you can slide it under the computer when you're not using it.

Wickedkitten
Jul 18, 2005, 07:35 PM

yeah, the imac is quite narrow, not to mention if space is really that tight you can get a wall mounting kit

johnzoidberg
Jul 18, 2005, 07:44 PM

I recently switched from a 12-inch PowerBook to a 17-inch iMac. As tiny as the PowerBook was, the iMac takes up significantly less space when I'm not using it. Like I said before, you can slide the keyboard between the unit and the aluminum foot.

salaryman  (op)
Jul 19, 2005, 03:02 AM

thanks for the info. i understand it will definitely fit snugly with the keyboard under the stand, but when i use it, i'll have the keyboard positioned infront of the stand, so will there be enough space for that and room to rest my hands on the desk?

thanks again...

johnzoidberg
Jul 19, 2005, 03:15 AM

I currently am using my iMac G5, with the keyboard laid out in front, and the depth of the computer setup from the edge of my keyboard to the back of the stand, takes no more than a foot of space, which is about 31 cm. So, it might still be a little cramped for your hands, but you could always get the wireless keyboard and use it on your lap...

A way to save more desk space is to "prop" the back bottom edge of the keyboard on top of the front "lip" of the aluminum foot, which I guess will save a few more centimeters off of your setup. But then again, a wireless keyboard is so much nicer...

salaryman  (op)
Jul 19, 2005, 04:00 AM

thanks guys, i really appreciate the advice

now where's my credit card?...

johnzoidberg
Jul 19, 2005, 04:02 AM

Whichever machine you decide on, enjoy!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by johnzoidberg
Whichever machine you decide on, enjoy!
Ditto. The most important thing is that you're getting a great Mac either way. I'm sure the 17" will fit nicely though. If you wind up getting a Powerbook, you won't have a G5 processor, but you can take it absolutely anywhere. Either way, good taste.

Forum Links
Forum Rules