Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OEM Graphics Card Firmware Update?

OEM Graphics Card Firmware Update?
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 12:34 PM

I have an OEM Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb graphics card stock in my PowerMac G5 2x. I was reading the latest Macworld(Sept 2005) and in there it told you to make sure you have to latest firmware for your graphics card. From past experience, I thought with the stock OEM cards, there is no need to grab updates from ATI because the system updates contain them?

Should I be updating my graphic card's firmware from ATI.com?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 12:56 PM

The firmware updates are only for retail cards. It's very rare that Apple releases firmware updates for OEM cards. Most the the time any firmware patches come in the form of a "ROM in RAM" type patch which loads during startup. The firmware updates are the ATIDriver.bundle and ATIRuntimeDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV. If you see a file called ATI ROM Xtender, that's the retail version. It doesn't affect OEM cards.

The firmware update won't do anything to an OEM card when you run the update in a PowerMac. A progress bar may pop up but the second progress bar, which is when the firmware update actually occurs, never pops up. There are better ways ATI could have programmed the installer (such as detecting the OEM card and telling the user it's not doing anything) but at least it won't try and write to an OEM card.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks for your response. That's what I thought it was too, but i wanted to just make sure
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Forum Links
Forum Rules