Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > MySQL DB Export Issues

MySQL DB Export Issues
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 12:36 AM

I work for a university newspaper I've recently redesigned(and still working on it @ columbiachronicle.com.). I exported the old DB and imported it into the new server. The problem is all of the quotation marks are now "?" in the old archive stories. Is there a way to fix this?

The old DB is gone and can't re-export it. I think it's a hexadecimal problem, or something...

Help me! It sucks have a bunch of journalists mad at you! They are crazy in the first place...
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

insha
Senior User
Feb 21, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
I work for a university newspaper I've recently redesigned(and still working on it @ columbiachronicle.com.). I exported the old DB and imported it into the new server. The problem is all of the quotation marks are now "?" in the old archive stories. Is there a way to fix this?

The old DB is gone and can't re-export it. I think it's a hexadecimal problem, or something...

Help me! It sucks have a bunch of journalists mad at you! They are crazy in the first place...
First thing you might want to do is backup the current database.

Second, If you have access to phpmyAdmin, export the database out. This will create the database structure and data in one plain-text file. You can then open it and find-replace the "?" in it and import this file back into MySQL using phpmyAdmin.

Or It could be a "Collation" problem. Make sure you have the correct collation (character set) set for the database.

Hope this help; otherwise let me know; but keep in mind that I am not an expert on MySQL.

Cheers.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2006, 08:26 PM

If I find the "?" and replace, it will delete all of real "?"s

There are over 3000 articles in the database....

I think i'm **** out of luck.

How do I change the "Collation" and character set?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Webscreamer
If I find the "?" and replace, it will delete all of real "?"s
i guess you could try and use context - like if the ? is not at the end of a sentence it would be a quote, and there should always be pairs of quotes. sounds like a tricky one.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

Forum Links
Forum Rules