Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't Install Tiger

Can't Install Tiger
butchfoote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 11:19 AM

One of my clients has an iMac G4 FP running a 10.3.9. Her system works just fine and she has an external Maxtor drive for backup.

She wants to go to Tiger and bought a 10.4 DVD some time ago. We started trying to update it this week but cannot get the install to get past the volume verification. It fails. The log says 9972 - which can be an indication of serious file system problems.

Today, I tried to run Disk Utility to verify the Hard Drive. I booted from the Tiger install disk and ran Disk Utility. It failed because it said it couldn't unmount the hard drive.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be most useful.

Thanks in advance.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2007, 01:23 PM

I had that situation once before and used DiskWarrior to rebuild the directory. That allowed the disk to be unmounted and verified and repaired by DU.

douglasmoxon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 06:53 AM

I have an 3 or 4 year old PowerBook G4, and it's DVD drive is broken. How can I upgrade the operating system from v3.9 since all the upgrades come on a DVD, and if I do upgrade will I still be able to run Final Cut Pro v4.5?

thanks

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2007, 07:38 AM

dougles, if you have another Mac, insert the Tiger DVD in that one and boot that Mac into Firewire target disk mode. Then connect the firewire cable to your Powerbook and you will have a defacto external DVD drive.

douglasmoxon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 08:02 AM

Thanks.
-Do I do that by holding down 'T' when I boot up the other Mac?
-Do you think it is possible to use the DVD drive on my PC?
-Do you know if upgrading from 10.3.9 will affect the operation of final Cut Pro v4.5?

Many thanks

douglasmoxon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 10:30 AM

any one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules