Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Netgear router and "You are not connected to the internet" errors

Netgear router and "You are not connected to the internet" errors
WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2007, 04:13 PM

My DG834G works fine 95% of the time, but every now and again (both wired and wireless) Safari tells me I'm not connected to the internet. 10 seconds of refreshing and the connection is back. Now if my ADSL had dropped it would take over a minute to reconnect so it's not disconnecting as such.

Anyone got any ideas? It's running the latest firmware and the problem afflicts my Intel iMac (wired) and my G4 iBook (Wireless).

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Nivag
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 05:47 PM

not much help, but mine does the same, though it's a hell of a lot better than since 10.4.9 was installed.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 27, 2007, 08:29 PM

This is most likely your router renewing a dynamic IP from your modem. It happens while you're using the system because that's when you originally started the router, so that's when the IP lease expires.

There are two basic approaches to fixing this. The simplest is to manually renew the lease at some gawdawful time-late or early. What this does is ensure that the lease will expire and be renewed at a time that you're not likely to be using the network so you won't notice it. The second option is to work with both the router and modem to assign the router a fixed IP address, so there won't be any renewing going on at all. It's more difficult to do this, because a lot of modems (especially over here in the States) aren't "configuration friendly" to the point that it's almost impossible for the user to actually get at the configuration to begin with.

This sort of thing happened to me from time to time and it was a super turbo nuclear PITA when it did. One morning I was up at 0330 (for a reason!) and I figured "why not?" I manually renewed the router's IP lease and I have NEVER seen that behavior happen again since.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2007, 12:57 AM

Well I'll try that but it happens several times a day for me. I'm very tempted to just get a different router.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 28, 2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR View Post
Well I'll try that but it happens several times a day for me. I'm very tempted to just get a different router.
Update the router's firmware before you spend money on a new one. The act of updating can "slap some sense into" the box (firmware can become "mildly corrupted" and thus oddly functional), and newer firmware could address an issue that is causing problems. But if you're not happy with the device after that, go ahead and replace it.

I am disillusioned with Netgear since my brother-in-law got one of their wireless routers for his home. They use an INTERNET URL for connecting to their configuration system (on his model anyway), and that URL has been taken by "Go Daddy" somehow. What a goof up! While a lot of people may not like Linksys, at least they keep their configuration system LOCAL with a NON-ROUTABLE IP.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This is most likely your router renewing a dynamic IP from your modem. It happens while you're using the system because that's when you originally started the router, so that's when the IP lease expires.

There are two basic approaches to fixing this. The simplest is to manually renew the lease at some gawdawful time-late or early. What this does is ensure that the lease will expire and be renewed at a time that you're not likely to be using the network so you won't notice it. The second option is to work with both the router and modem to assign the router a fixed IP address, so there won't be any renewing going on at all. It's more difficult to do this, because a lot of modems (especially over here in the States) aren't "configuration friendly" to the point that it's almost impossible for the user to actually get at the configuration to begin with.

This sort of thing happened to me from time to time and it was a super turbo nuclear PITA when it did. One morning I was up at 0330 (for a reason!) and I figured "why not?" I manually renewed the router's IP lease and I have NEVER seen that behavior happen again since.
"There are two basic approaches to fixing this. The simplest is to manually renew the lease at some gawdawful time-late or early. What this does is ensure that the lease will expire and be renewed at a time that you're not likely to be using the network so you won't notice it."

I liked that part, I got a RP614v2 router, and got problems with kicks due to leasing time. How do i renew that leasing time? :-)

EDIT:

Lease Obtained 20:52:22 , Tue.
Lease Expires 21:12:22 , Tue.

<My two lease times>

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007, 06:24 PM

Like I said, either assign the computers static IP addresses, or get up REAL early and manually renew the leases.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2007, 08:40 PM

Yes thank you I understand that. But practically, do i access router settings page > Router status > Connection status > and "Renew" at the time I want the IP to be renewed? And this setting will stay the same everyday until it gets resetted? :-)

This is my lease before i renew:

Lease Obtained 01:08:32 , Wed.
Lease Expires 01:28:32 , Wed.

After:

Lease Obtained 01:08:33 , Wed.
Lease Expires 01:28:33 , Wed.

And the time here is 02:45 CET.

OT: Congratulations in arrears!
( Last edited by porre; Apr 17, 2007 at 08:48 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007, 09:53 PM

You got it right, though it looks like your provider actually gives you a "1 week and 20 minutes" lease. This is odd, but manageable. Every three weeks, the time the lease expires will progress by an hour (20 minutes X 3 = 60 minutes), so the time will eventually be something you'll notice, but you can stay up late again and correct it in the same way.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 04:05 AM

Why every three week ?
Whats "release" ?
Can I just solve the problem by buying the router+modem from Netgear (NGDG834) ?

My lease now:

Lease Obtained 08:26:04 , Wed.
Lease Expires 08:46:04 , Wed.

I renewed it 09:30 something.

EDIT: Now my lease is different without me doing ANYTHING

Lease Obtained 10:06:05 , Wed.
Lease Expires 10:26:05 , Wed.

Im seriously really confused.
( Last edited by porre; Apr 18, 2007 at 05:45 AM. )
- Porre

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by porre View Post
Why every three week ?
I showed the math-if the lease lasts for one week plus 20 minutes, that 20 minutes accumulates so that after three weeks the difference from your original time will be one hour.
Whats "release" ?
When you "release" a DHCP lease, you disconnect and tell the server providing the addresses that you don't need that one anymore.
Can I just solve the problem by buying the router+modem from Netgear (NGDG834) ?
I'm not sure. I am not absolutely certain we're all talking about the same thing at the moment.

Please post 1)what kind of broadband connection (cable/DSL/whatever) you have, 2) your ISP, 3) the brand and model of modem you have, and 4) any other hardware between your computer and the modem. Show or tell how everything is connected together. And please point out what device you're getting the lease renewal information that you're posting from.

Here's an example. I have DSL through AT&T (my ISP). My Westell Wirespeed 516 modem is connected to the WAN port of my Linksys BEFSR41. My wired computers and my Linksys WAP54G wireless access point are connected to the LAN ports on the BEFSR41. My router does not show me anything about when my current WAN IP will expire.[/QUOTE]

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 05:11 PM

I have DSL through Telia. My Netgear RP614v2 (router) is connected to my modem which is Zyxel Prestige 660H-D1 Tripleplay, and ofcourse I'm connected to Port 1 in the router.

I get that lease information from my Netgear router.
- Porre

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2007, 06:26 PM

Hmmm. Where are you located? I'm not familiar with Telia.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2007, 07:56 PM

( Last edited by porre; Apr 18, 2007 at 08:05 PM. )
- Porre

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2007, 08:46 AM

I hope the second works for me-I don't speak Swedish.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 04:38 PM

Yes , anything interesting?
- Porre

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2007, 06:49 PM

Nope. I select the "Telia Sweden" link and I get a Swedish page. Sorry that I can't see what's going on for you.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 07:37 PM

Mhm, but should I be stuck there, I didn't manage to change my lease times due to they seem to switch themselfs, well the router is three years old now, can it be something with that? What if I would go for that router+modem in 1, maybe the problem would disappear, whats my options really .

Oh, and I really appreciate your help at the most.
- Porre

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2007, 09:46 PM

If you feel like changing out hardware, go for it. Installing a new router or router/modem can't hurt. Do let us know what you choose and how it goes.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2007, 07:31 AM

I do have another question, what is svchost.exe, something connected to the computer or? Sometimes I have 5, other times 6 of it. Thanks, and yes I will post what will or wont happen further. :-)
- Porre

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2007, 08:47 AM

I do have another question, what is svchost.exe, something connected to the computer or? Sometimes I have 5, other times 6 of it. Thanks, and yes I will post what will or wont happen further. :-)
Do an internet search, most of us are Mac users so we won't know.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2007, 09:54 AM

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 07:18 PM

Bought Netgear DG834 today, worked fine til i got the same 20 secound kick as usually. -.-

I thought it would be the solution buying that, since I've never tried with another modem actually, than the one I had. But I was wrong again, and what can the problem possibly be.
- Porre

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2007, 08:54 AM

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas on this. It's obviously not something going on with your router, but I just don't have any real information about your service or your modem, so I can't make any suggestions.

porre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2007, 11:11 AM

Im thinking, maybe it could be my Ethernet Controller? The router tells me I've been connected like this:

WAN DHCP 7154141 7569901 0 5921070 4717838 00:07:05
LAN 10M/100M 7583559 7162303 0 12876 15292 45:17:11

And since I agree with the thread starter "Now if my ADSL had dropped it would take over a minute to reconnect so it's not disconnecting as such". Could it be my Ethernet Card? :-)
- Porre

illustratorDavid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 08:15 AM

Same problem here.

I'm using a Netgear dg834g v1 connecting to it wirelessly from my G5.

Anybody contacted Netgear about this ?

illustratorDavid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 09:52 AM

Actually this seems to work (although not long since i tried it)

From this http://www.futurehardware.in/449951.htm

Apple Preferences > Network > Airport > TCP/IP

Change Config IPv4 to Manually

Enter your IP Address ie 192.168.0.2 (set netgear router with static address to your mac)
Get Subnet Mask, Router and DNS Servers addresses from router.
Search domains blank
IPv6 turned off

Fingers crossed
David

Forum Links
Forum Rules