Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Airport Express hardware installation in Mac Pro?

Airport Express hardware installation in Mac Pro?
arudius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 10:49 PM

I've had a Mac Pro for a few weeks now. Love it. I bought a refurb (highly recommended if you want to save money). Anyway, it didn't come with an airport card. So, feeling like a bright bulb, I bought my own. I've done plenty of computer work in the past, however I've never worked in a Mac Pro.

I realize there's already a threat on this board from someone about installing the card. However I'm extremely confused. The slot that says "AIRPORT" on the motherboard is smaller than the actual card's pins. In other words, I can't insert it (ba-zing!).

Furthermore, I took a couple pictures to help with this.

The Airport Card:

Where it's supposed to go on the motherboard:

Any ideas? Does it have to set on some sort of a tray and plug into that and THEN plug into the slot that says AIRPORT on the motherboard? ...I know they say it's not for user installation but I really want to just do it myself. I've done far more extensive things on computer hardware...this is just a question of if I have the right parts?

Thanks in advance.

Arudius

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 14, 2007, 11:17 PM

i'd presume that it would fit in exactly the same as a graphics card

dont take my word for it though
R.I.P Steve Jobs

arudius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 08:08 AM

Not exactly. It fits in horizontally/parallel to the motherboard so the card is facing up like a chip would. However, the port on the motherboard is smaller than the airport extreme card's green plug-in-spot. Please help? Is there another Airport Extreme made specifically for Mac Pros?

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2007, 12:07 AM

The one you have is the wrong one.

Here is where I bought mine:
Apple Airport Extreme Kit for Mac Pro from Small Dog Electronics

Here are the steps to install:
[url=http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Mac_Pro/Bluetooth_MacPro_install/Bluetooth_MacPro_install.html[/url]
( Last edited by Phrogman; Jun 16, 2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Better Link)

Forum Links
Forum Rules