Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why no Dual 533 price drops?

Why no Dual 533 price drops?
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 05:54 PM

I've been scoping the prices all day long, imagining the Dual 533 G4 would have tumbled in price.

Wrong. It's still at 2499, the same price as the 800 G4.

Friends tell that in the end the dual processor is a lot smarter for video editing and photoshop work.

Any thoughts on these claims -- and if you think the price will fall?

Thanks.

Tjeerd van Hoytema
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2001, 06:09 PM

I don't think we'll see a dramatic price drop, perhaps a few hundred dollars but no more. I don't know how many machines Apple still has in stock, but you can assume they saw what they were bringing next so invertory may be low. You could try at a Mac dealer, who makes a astunt offer, but of the side of Apple I expect nothing
Tjeerd van Hoytema
The Netherlands

Proud Mac user since 1993

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2001, 06:26 PM

I did notice that on the Apple Education store they have a single 533 available now for $1148 (CD-ROM and Rage 128). That's a couple hundred price drop.

There's nothing on duals, though.

iBookUser
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2001, 11:49 PM

Hi,
Check out www.promax.com They have the 533 DP for 2145.00

Matt

trumptman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2001, 12:12 AM

Is it Apple that maintains these ridiculous prices on the previous models? I went looking at the 466 thinking maybe it would be about $999 or even less. It is a whole $300 cheaper than the new 733?!?!?!

I can't imagine anyone, anywhere would pay $1349 for this machine when you can get a 733 with gf2mx for $1699.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by trumptman:
<STRONG>Is it Apple that maintains these ridiculous prices on the previous models? I went looking at the 466 thinking maybe it would be about $999 or even less. It is a whole $300 cheaper than the new 733?!?!?!

I can't imagine anyone, anywhere would pay $1349 for this machine when you can get a 733 with gf2mx for $1699.</STRONG>
Seems like the smart thing to do is buy the new 733MHz machine.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 01:40 AM

Hi

If i`m not completly mistaken, apple did lower the prices which the retailers pay two or three weeks ago. So i would guess the retailers just like to squeeze out every dollar they can get?!

Tom

<ryeguy>
Jul 19, 2001, 02:51 AM

I was trying to price a dual 533 today (the same one that a sales lady has been trying to sell me for 3 weeks) and three different dealers here in Vancouver said it was a discontinued model and unavailable. So what happened to all the ones they had last week?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 11:52 AM

Give it time you guys... prices don't drop on old systems overnight. Businesses don't work as fast as the internet... give it a week or two and prices will go down. Right now most people don't even know there are new machines out there.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules