Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2008 MAC PRO Sleep Issues : Does everyone have it?

2008 MAC PRO Sleep Issues : Does everyone have it? (Page 2)
stevenyc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2008, 03:57 PM

The only time I hear the fans is when I insert a DVD.

The fan thing used to happen on my G5 a while back. Apple had me reset the SMU using the internal button on the logic board and that eliminated the problem for a couple of years until recently when the G5 crashed completely.

the
Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
I never hear those HD fans except for start up and wake from sleep.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
Add me to the list of people with an 8800GT card with the problem.

It was temporarily fixed by zapping PRAM and doing the unplug thing...but after a few days I was having the problem again. The strange thing is it is not consistent. The other day I quickly put the MP to sleep without thinking and later when I came back and woke it up it actually didn't restart...but it took about 20 seconds or so to revive. During that entire time the HD fans were going full blast much likely they do for the first 3 to 5 seconds when I first boot up. Does that tell us anything? I have my HDs set to sleep whenever possible.

On a different topic, it strange. I never hear those HD fans except for start up and wake from sleep. Otherwise they are dead silent. Does everyone else have this happen?
Yes. Very little fan activity. Temps are ok on iStaT however. Have not had a fan over 800rpm on the HD's' except that 8800 GT beast at startup.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

MacPro8Core
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2008, 02:28 AM

This might not be the definitive solution, but I have found that when I put my Mac Pro to sleep. Instead of using the top menu bar to put it to sleep, I just push command,option, and eject and I haven't had the sleep problem since. I am not sure if it's just coinicidence or not but it worked for me!

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MacPro8Core View Post
This might not be the definitive solution, but I have found that when I put my Mac Pro to sleep. Instead of using the top menu bar to put it to sleep, I just push command,option, and eject and I haven't had the sleep problem since. I am not sure if it's just coinicidence or not but it worked for me!
Very interesting. I'll try it over the weekend.
Sun Tzu

jdhayes117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2008, 12:51 PM

Count me among those plagued with the Reboot from Sleep problem. I hope Apple pays attention to forums other than their own discussion groups so they can see how many users have the same issue

MPro, 8800GT, 10Gb RAM, 4 hard drives.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2008, 07:32 PM

Instead of using the top menu bar to put it to sleep, I just push command, option, and eject and I haven't had the sleep problem since.
Thanks for the tip. Same results here all weekend. Will continue trying this method and report back.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

MacPro8Core
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2008, 07:51 PM

Awesome, it has now been close to 2 weeks and I haven't had it once restart after sleep.... this could be this fix!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2008, 08:09 PM

.... this could be this fix!
Dandy, but can anyone speculate as to WHY?

It'd be awesome if we're onto something here ...

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

MacPro8Core
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2008, 09:04 PM

Yeah I have no clue why that could cause that, I would love to find out though...

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 16, 2008, 09:54 PM

.... this could be this fix!
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble ... but keyboard commands is not the fix.

Just heard the 'ol familiar startup chime after sending to sleep via keyboard strokes.

Sorry, for all of us.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

towen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2008, 10:40 PM

The sleep issue has persisted on my Mac Pro since it arrived last Tuesday.
It’s a stock dual 2.8GHz. Having already read about the restart-upon-wake, I wanted to see what would happen with none of the suspect applications or hardware additions.

Since yesterday, this computer has been set to never sleep — no sleep for the wicked.

Safari and Firefox are frequently slow to load, or report they cannot locate the address entered.

Aside from CDFinder,Tex-edit and Little Snitch, which were installed almost immediately, just a few other apps have been gradually added — but none of the biggies such as CS3 or 3D stuff. Unless I can find a modern day equivelant of PlusOptimizer, or whatever it was that added partitions to an existing HD without reformatting, those apps will wait until at least another HD is added, along with four more Gigs of RAM.

So aside from the noisome unwanted/unwarranted restarts, there’s not much more to complain about.

Oh yeah, the Mighty miserable Mouse has no right-button click function — needed to use the Control key. Why in the world Apple insists upon their too-clever-by-half faux one button aesthetic is beyond me.

And I couldn’t find the white gloves, which I’m sure are necessary to keep the keyboard from turning to this grungy grey.

grafphoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by towen View Post

Oh yeah, the Mighty miserable Mouse has no right-button click function — needed to use the Control key. Why in the world Apple insists upon their too-clever-by-half faux one button aesthetic is beyond me.
Towen, you can turn on right clicking in the system preferences. The Mighty Mouse will right click, it just a little finicky.

PhotoMacUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 01:49 PM

I called AppleCare about this problem and they had me hit the SMC reset button. So far, it sleeps normally- we shall see. I suspect there will be a firmware update to fix this problem. The funny thing is the machine sleeps normally, it is the wake from sleep that is the problem.

I love how quiet the machine is- the only fan I hear is from the graphics card. I definitely will be ordering up more ram. The stock 2 gigs is not nearly enough for day to day. FYI, I went to install a Lite-On 20X DVD drive and the tray hits the sliding door and will not open. I tried re-seating it and moving it to the top. I also made certain that everything was functioning normally with the sliding mechanism. Next I tried the NEC drive from my external LaCie- works no problem! I have an 8 Core 2.8GHZ, 500gig with 2 gigs ram, BT/AP and wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse. Great machine- other than the odd sleep issue.

evolvestudios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2008, 10:40 PM

I spoke with another Apple Tech - did the unplug then pram zap - he said as long as you dont change the selected start up disks it should continue to work - this means booting vmware fusion - bootcamp, running vista etc etc. so far this has seemed to work for me. He also mentioned that they are working on an update and it is most likely a firmware update. I put it to sleep using the top tool bar, with no problems, have CS3 and alot of other apps installed that doesnt seem to be the problem. Keeping fingers crossed. will post back if it fails to wake from sleep in the future.

skew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 04:43 PM

I bought two Octo Pro's in the UK. One shuts down on wake from sleep the other doesn't. Haven't tried any of the solutions as yet but count me into this one unfortunately.

Skew.
--wake up--

Joe West
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2008, 12:02 AM

Hi Gang,

I'm curious why users with this problem don't simply stop allowing their computers to sleep. I run a mac pro server that (obviously) never sleeps... on 24x7 since I purchased my 8 core machine the day I could order it and it has been on ever since I received it.

Are you worried about using them up? or as someone said, having one catch on fire? Really?

For those having the problem, the fix seems easy... simply don't let it sleep. When Apple comes out with a "real" fix, then you can go back to letting them sleep

Joe

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by evolvestudios View Post
I spoke with another Apple Tech - did the unplug then pram zap - he said as long as you dont change the selected start up disks it should continue to work - this means booting vmware fusion - bootcamp, running vista etc etc. so far this has seemed to work for me. He also mentioned that they are working on an update and it is most likely a firmware update. I put it to sleep using the top tool bar, with no problems, have CS3 and alot of other apps installed that doesnt seem to be the problem. Keeping fingers crossed. will post back if it fails to wake from sleep in the future.
Interesting. I have not had the issue since changing the start up disk in XP to OSX on restart after reading your post. Prior, I had XP as the start up on my XP HD to avoid Boot Camp when restarting in XP.

Will update after a few more days.
Sun Tzu

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 27, 2008, 08:01 PM

Just installed Mac Pro Firmware Update 1.3, hopefully the solution we are all hoping for?

Test away.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2008, 07:24 AM

Well, yesterday's update passed the requisite overnight sleep test (~8 hours of sleep, no restart on wake).

Will keep monitoring today and over the weekend, and report results. Others please do the same.

------------------------------

Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3

About Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3
This update fixes several issues to improve the stability of Mac Pro (Early 2008) computers.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your computer, your BootROM Version will be:
MP31.006C.B05

You can confirm the version of the Boot ROM installed on your computer using System Profiler.

To complete the firmware update process, please follow the instructions in the updater application (/Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app). The updater will launch automatically when the Installer closes.

For more information about firmware updates for Intel-based Macs, please visit: About firmware updates for Intel-based Macs

------------------------------

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2008, 02:37 PM

I never had the restart on wake issue, but my Mac Pro would never stay asleep over night. After the firmware update, it finally had a full nights rest.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 29, 2008, 12:00 PM

In addition to my 8-hour test above are now three more successful sleeps with no restart from wake: two 8-hours and a 1-hour.

Thus far I am liking this update.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

MacPro8Core
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2008, 11:26 PM

I installed the update this morning and I haven't had a single problem at all, and the Mac Pro even seems a tad bit quicker. Could be my imagination though...
Mac Pro 2.8 Octo-Core | Mac Mini 1.66 Core Duo | PowerMac G4 Sawtooth | PowerMac G3 Blue & White | Macintosh Classic II | Macintosh Plus 1mb

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2008, 11:15 AM

No post-firmware problems on my end.

No MacNN member issues reported here.

Apple's official thread on the subject is closed.

HOORAH! FINALLY! Stick a fork in it - the 2008 Mac Pro Sleep Issues problem and thread appears done.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

nader2008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2008, 09:09 PM

pull that fork OUT...

not so fast....

the firmware update "fixed" my new Mac Pro for about 24 hours but all day today its been crashing nearly everytime I put it to sleep except ONE time.... I also had a kernal crash today as well. Actually think its worse now than before the "fix".

nader2008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2008, 12:26 PM

anyone else still having crashes?

hbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2008, 01:49 PM

hi guys, I have bought a Mac Pro 2.8ghz Early 2008 and it refuses to sleep automatically, and takes a minute to do so after i manually tell it to. Does any one have any info on this, cos I cant find any! Many thanks HBR ps I have set all the settings correctly etc...

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2008, 09:49 PM

Time to close this tread. Too much attention seeking.
Sun Tzu

hbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Time to close this tread. Too much attention seeking.
what have I done wrong glidescope? Im not attention seeking, rather I am using this forum to ask for help - like it was designed. hbr

misterdna
Apr 21, 2008, 09:38 AM

My new 3.0 Mac Pro has no sleep issues. Actually, I have yet to discover any issues!

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2008, 12:51 PM

I have not had the issue since putting my Mac Pro to sleep in the following manner:

Hold down option+command+eject button

Doing it through the software menu I still have problems from time to time.

Zee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2008, 08:38 AM

Hey guys

Im still kinda a noob when it comes to computers, but any contribution might help to solve a problem...

I have a normal pc at home, and it has a nvidia graphics card as well. Whenever I came back from a LAN the pc would normally go into a loop of restarting all the time. Eventually this problem was solved: my graphics card seemed to be a bit loose after all the traveling...

So perhaps it may be that the nvidia cards in these macs are a bit faulty, or have a connection problem, or software problem causing the macs to restart. O.k i know im comparing a PC to a MAC but computers are computers...

Anyway sorry if this information is completely stupid, as i said im still kinda noob

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2008, 09:05 AM

Hi to all, especially those of you with Mac Pro Sleep issues .

If you do have problems have you told Apple?

I am amongst those of you experiencing sleep issues despite the Firmware Upgrade, all the Resets, multitudes of Settings Changes, Old Wives Tales, Forum Stories and any other Straw to clutch at in a bid to make MP toe the Apple line and go to sleep when left alone.

The issue, in this case, is failure to comply with the Energy Saver settings and not Automatically going to Sleep.

My Wake from Sleep issues were resolved by the Firmware Upgrade.

There is of course no reason why anyone, with any type of issue, should not approach Apple in a similar manner to that suggested below.

Like others here and in most Forums everything applied or tried works only for a few times, if it works at all , before failing again.
Clearly it is working for some and if we are to see any improvement Apple need to be informed about the problem on a case by case basis. If they have all the required information, including full details of other Hardware involved they may eventually provide a solution.

Please visit the following Apple site if you have issues with your Mac Pro refusing to sleep in accordance with the settings made in Energy Saver:

Apple: Product Feedback

select the appropriate Product and complete the Feedback Form. Please do add anything relevant, but not requested on the form, in the main comment field.
( Last edited by Mac The Knife; May 17, 2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typos)

mkerr64
Senior User
May 20, 2008, 12:04 AM

mine is a 2006 and has the sleep issue with my new 8800GT 1st gen

the fan simple just runs forever and never wakes up
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2008, 01:21 AM

mkerr64 that is very interesting 1st Generation Nvidia 8800 GT as well as 2nd Generation cards giving, albeit differing, Sleep problems.
If you have not already used the link to Apple Product Feedback please do so.
Thanks for reading this message.
Best wishes,
MTK
Early 2008 Mac Pro - Leopard - 4GB RAM - Nvidia 8800GT 512MB - Lots of HDD Space + Time Capsule + External HDD Carbon Copy Cloner BackUps

mkerr64
Senior User
May 21, 2008, 11:48 PM

Done it
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks for advising Apple about this problem, the more users who report the issue the more likely we will get something done .
Best wishes,
MTK
Early 2008 Mac Pro - Leopard - 4GB RAM - Nvidia 8800GT 512MB - Lots of HDD Space + Time Capsule + External HDD Carbon Copy Cloner BackUps

mkerr64
Senior User
May 29, 2008, 11:10 PM

What do you think the chances of them fixing this problem are?
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2008, 06:25 PM

IMHO, and with reference to the time taken to resolve the original Early 2008 Mac Pro Sleep issue, which appears to have encompassed the vast majority of these machines, an exponentially longer time period is anticipated for a minority group solution may place resolution between the end of this year and the middle of next .

Just prior to the Leopard 10.5.3 update, earlier this week, my Mac went through a phase of dropping off to Sleep at every opportunity .
I had 'put' the Mac to Sleep via a combined three key press of ⌘⌥⏏ [Command-Alt or Option-Eject], this seems to have a temporary effect of restoring the expected Sleep behaviour. The Menu Bar route of  > Sleep has a similar effect.
Since the 10.5.3. update Sleep has returned to a totally unpredictable situation.

Prior to the original Sleep issue scenario I installed the Deep Sleep Widget, this enables Sleep settings to be altered i.e.
Deep Sleep
Safe Sleep
Quick Sleep
The same adjustments can be applied to Regular Sleep, which appears to be the in-built Mac Sleep.
During various stages of trials and testing the Deep Sleep Widget was removed in an attempt to see if this had any bearing on the in-built Mac Sleep.

I was led down the path of attempting to resolve this issue because the Mac was not performing as stated on the tin and Apple have a responsibility to make that happen. Reviewing my use of the machine I am coming to the conclusion that I do not want it to go to Sleep too often. This is based on the available advice regarding operating HDDs coupled with sensible use of energy resources.
Unfortunately Apple are sending out confusing messages regarding Sleep. E.g. in the Mac Pro User Guide:
If you will be away from your Mac Pro for only a short time, put the computer to sleep.
Whilst in the iMac User Guide:
If you will be away from your iMac for less than a few days, put it to sleep.
IMHO the above is not in the 'picking flies' category, Apple needs some joined up thinking on this subject.

For now I am prepared to put my Mac to Sleep manually when I am likely to be away from it for three Hours or more.
Best wishes,
MTK

Cei
Jun 1, 2008, 12:34 PM

No problems with my 2008 Mac Pro from day 1

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2008, 05:09 PM

Cei I would be very interested to know the full specification of your Mac Pro.
It is good to know that some machines 'just work'
Best wishes,
MTK

Cei
Jun 2, 2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
Cei I would be very interested to know the full specification of your Mac Pro.
It is good to know that some machines 'just work'
It's the 2.8 E5462 8-core, dual Superdrives, 8800GT, AirPort, 2Gb RAM from Apple and another 2Gb from Crucial. 1Tb HDD and 320Gb for Vista Ordered on the 12th March this year, arrived week afterwards from Cork. It's been updated as they come through Software Update, but I've had precisely zero problems with the machine.

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks for your response Cei we are running very similar machines, the only difference is the Brand of the extra RAM and we purchased only a few days apart.

Until your post it was beginning to look like the Graphics Card could be a component part of the issue. So it seems there is more research to do .
Come on Apple .
Best wishes,
MTK

TRRosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 11:54 AM

you guys are lucky. Mine started the sleep issue about a month ago. But it doesn't restart it hangs...and wont restart. actually i think its the PS hanging. If it goes to sleep it will hang and need to be shutdown manually ..but the it will not restart... I have to leave it off for 10 - 20 min then i can restart normally. If I try to restart right away there is only a click or two (relays) and no power light. Seems that the PS is not responding to the power up signal.

I've set the machine not to sleep as a work around.

2.8 Ghz Octo 10Gb ram 3 HDs 8800GT

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 01:29 PM

My Mac as started to respond more appropriately over the last few weeks.
Apart from Mac OS updates and trials of changing the way in which the Mac Sleeps I cannot think of anything which would affect the sleep habits.
The change in the way in which the Mac sleeps has been altered by recourse to the services of a Widget called Deep Sleep. DS is a freebie so it may be worth anyone experiencing problems, or seeking a workaround, investigating its use.
DS enables selection from one of three ways in which your Mac sleeps in Regular or Widget Mode i.e. Quick, Safe or Deep.
Although there is a marked improvement I cannot trust my Mac to behave as expected, on random occasions it fails to respond properly.
In addition if I use my VMware Fusion Virtual Machine to run XP Pro SP3 [it was the same with SP2] Mac Sleep is a non event. Following a shut down of the VM, and hence XP Pro, frequently the Mac will fail to go to sleep.
Manual or DS Widget induced Sleep reliably sleeps the Mac and it awakens in the expected fashion without any issues.

TRRosen sorry to hear about your problems.
Many have reported similar events but IIRC none were plagued with a delayed restart that you describe.
From your description is sounds as if a Relay is sticking or remaining/being energised at the wrong time.
Have you tried Manually putting your Mac to Sleep?
Please tell us the result of the wake up call .
If you experience the same results having used Manual and Energy Saver Sleep procedures perhaps you should consider asking Apple Support for a solution?

Cei it occurred to me that perhaps you may not using the same method of putting your Mac to Sleep as that employed by myself.
I would very much appreciate, in the interests of clarity, if you will be kind enough to explain the process you use to successfully put your Mac to Sleep.

The following might be of use to those forced to tread the sleepless Mac path .
Sleep can be induced Manually by hitting the ⌘⌥⏏ [Cmd-Opt/Alt-Eject] Keys at the same time, or from the Menu Bar  > Sleep.
Sleep can be should be able to be set via System Preferences > Energy Saver > Sleep, to Automatically put the Mac to Sleep when the conditions of the settings are fulfilled.
Best wishes,
MTK

TRRosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 12:34 AM

It doesn't matter the kind of sleep I enter or how i do it (tried DS and keyboard shortcut) It still hangs when waking from sleep. really seems to be the PS not coming back. Intresting note i just realized that if i unplug the machine the wait will not allow the machine to restart...the machine needs to be plugged in and wait 15-20 before it can turn on again. Note* it restarts fine.

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 01:19 AM

Thanks for your reply.

My guess is that you have all the available updates installed and if this is the case, in your position, I would definitely have Apple sort out the issue of needing to wait before being able to restart.

If at all possible please update us with your progress.
Best wishes for a speedy resolution.
Best wishes,
MTK

Cei
Jun 13, 2008, 05:10 AM

Cei it occurred to me that perhaps you may not using the same method of putting your Mac to Sleep as that employed by myself.
I would very much appreciate, in the interests of clarity, if you will be kind enough to explain the process you use to successfully put your Mac to Sleep.
I use the method of  > Sleep to put the Mac Pro to bed every day - tower is out of convenient reach, so the power button is too far away. I don't have any auto-sleep set up in System Preferences (for either time or lack of use for x time)

Mac The Knife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 06:09 AM

Thanks for your reply it seems that your success mirrors that of myself, and very many others, in that Manually induced Sleep is not an issue.

My problems have always revolved around the Energy Saver route of putting the Mac to Sleep.
Although I have come to the conclusion that for the great majority of times that I want the Mac to Sleep, initiation is preferable via Manual or Widget means, there may be times when being called away unexpectedly for a long period it would be best if the Mac slept in my absence. For this reason I would like the machine to reliably go to Sleep when I have been away for in excess of say one to two hours, notwithstanding it otherwise fails do do what it says on the tin.

Appreciating your chosen method and that you may have no wish to vary the procedure, I would very much appreciate hearing whether your Mac can go to Sleep via the Energy Saver route.
Best wishes,
MTK

Cei
Jun 13, 2008, 06:13 AM

Thanks for your reply it seems that your success mirrors that of myself, and very many others, in that Manually induced Sleep is not an issue.

My problems have always revolved around the Energy Saver route of putting the Mac to Sleep.
Although I have come to the conclusion that for the great majority of times that I want the Mac to Sleep, initiation is preferable via Manual or Widget means, there may be times when being called away unexpectedly for a long period it would be best if the Mac slept in my absence. For this reason I would like the machine to reliably go to Sleep when I have been away for in excess of say one to two hours, notwithstanding it otherwise fails do do what it says on the tin.

Appreciating your chosen method and that you may have no wish to vary the procedure, I would very much appreciate hearing whether your Mac can go to Sleep via the Energy Saver route.
I'll try it over the next few days - currently need it right now turned on! I normally leave the machine on when I am away as I use Back to My Mac on a regular basis to pull files. I'll report back with what happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules