Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo Upload Service

Photo Upload Service
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2008, 11:22 AM

Hey there,
Does anyone know where I might look, for the following to happen: I'd like to hard code a URL on my blog's home page of an image, say: "http://www.whatever.com/latest_image/001.jpg".

And what I'd like to do is use my iPhone to upload images via e-mail to this photo upload service... and have this photo upload service make the latest image that I uploaded be "001.jpg".

Is there a photo upload service that will take an image that I e-mail it and make it be the latest version of "001.jpg"? Either replacing the old "001.jpg" entirely... or renaming that to something else as an archive.

That way, I can use my iPhone to upload images via e-mail... and have them automagically be available at the same URL every time on my blog's home page.

Thanks for any direction!
BD

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2008, 11:02 PM

This is not exactly what you are looking for but perhaps it would suit you or at least make you wonder about other options.

Something you can do on flickr is upload your pictures via email to a secret address that they set up for you. Then what you can do is create a badge which is a small snippet of code that you put in your web page that will show you in HTML or Java the last pictures you have uploaded. I have one that I have configured for flickr which is the latest 1 picture that has been uploaded to the account in HTML format.

You can create one by going to this link. http://www.flickr.com/badge.gne

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2008, 09:48 AM

You know,
I re-thought what I was doing, two weeks ago... and went with a suggestion similar to yours. Why hard code it, at all? Ever.

I started out with the link that you mentioned, and then extracted the code that solely wrote the image link's URL (not caring about how Flickr's default badge was styled). In my case, I wanted the "most recent" image, that also had the tag "iphone" from my "user account". (I set any photo uploaded to Flickr to my "user account" to be written with the tag "iphone", thereby eliminating the need to actually write "tags: iphone" in the e-mail's Body each time.)

So, I then place the link into my blog's own, styled display... and everything is great.

I'm now looking for a service that will take that same e-mail and only use said e-mail's Subject as my latest Twitter tweet (no links, nothing else)... only the Subject. TwitterMail uses the message's Body (no good, since I have a photo and my Flickr description there), MessageDance also reads the Body an places "[photo]" and a TinyURL to said photo in it's Twitter tweet update (which I don't want included in my tweet). SnapTweet also does not simply take the Subject, attaching a link in the tweet to my latest photo (I want no links... just the Subject, thanks).

Since the custom badge I wrote places my latest Twitter tweet under my latest Flickr e-mail upload... I'm stuck sending the e-mail out and then tweeting the same, exact message that was in the Subject of the e-mail, to Twitter. Once I figure out a service that only takes the e-mail Subject... I'll be able to update both (and my custom badge) with one e-mail.

Thanks for the info, in any case, SpinCycle!
BD
( Last edited by BoulderDash; Jul 4, 2008 at 09:57 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules