Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Important message from Glenn Beck

Important message from Glenn Beck
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 10:21 PM

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2009, 11:25 PM

More like an evil clown in need of a lobotomy!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2009, 11:51 PM

What's with the subliminal messages in the ticker at the bottom?

Obama, Muslim, Islamic, Terrorist

Scaring white conservative folks again, who watches Glenn Beck. At least FOX knows their audience.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 11:56 PM

At first I thought this must be about DidGlennBeckRapeAndMurderAYoungGirlIn1990.com, but this video was posted the same day that domain name was registered, so I guess he was just feeling emotional.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 12:18 AM

He's a very emotional guy! I felt a tear running down my leg when I heard these cries for the first time.

I guess his show plays towards the scared, emotional, passionate Conservative segment of the population?

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Sep 14, 2009, 02:10 AM

I think he should be saying these things in therapy, not on national tv.
are you lightfooted?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 02:44 AM

I don't like the guy, but you have to appreciate the lengths that some on the Left will go to smear him (the rape/murder hoax).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 02:56 AM

Yeah. It's amazing how threatened some people seem to feel by such intellectual featherweights as Beck. I'm not saying that Beck is dumb, he may be brilliant in real life, but his show (at least the clips I've seen) certainly doesn't seem to cater towards the brainiac crowd.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I don't like the guy, but you have to appreciate the lengths that some on the Left will go to smear him (the rape/murder hoax).
It wasn't a smear or a hoax — it was a parody. You're not supposed to believe it. That site is making fun of Glenn Beck's style of journalism, in which you accuse somebody of something absurd and potentially libelous by asking questions and making insinuations about it.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 03:27 AM

What is so absurd or potentially libelous about any of Beck's statements, Chuck? I don't know of any and I watch him fairly regularly.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
It wasn't a smear or a hoax — it was a parody. You're not supposed to believe it. That site is making fun of Glenn Beck's style of journalism, in which you accuse somebody of something absurd and potentially libelous by asking questions and making insinuations about it.
It's gone far beyond that, some people actually believe that ****. Hell, I've actually received emails from outraged liberals who swear that it's true. It may even be the same morons who are sending him death threats, dunno. Only an idiot could feel threatened by a goober like Beck.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 03:34 AM

Yup. Yup.

That was the intention of the website. It was a parody of Glenn Beck's style of "journalism".

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What is so absurd or potentially libelous about any of Beck's statements, Chuck? I don't know of any and I watch him fairly regularly.
Eh, I phrased that very poorly, because it makes it sound like all he does is stand around and libel people all day. What I meant is that he can make unsubstantiated claims without having to worry about whether they fall into the category of absurdity or libel because it's under the guise of, "Hey, I'm just asking questions. I'm not saying this is true. I mean, I'm sure it's not. But...what if...hmm..."

I'm sure you've noticed that rhetorical technique if you've watched his show a lot. I only watch it occasionally and I got the joke of that site. For example (thanks to Google), here's one where he uses the exact phrase "Hey, I'm just asking questions" to try and argue that Obama will turn Americorps into the SS — he even admits "I've been warning people about this" at one point and then retreats back to feigned ignorance.
Chuck
___

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2009, 07:20 AM

Isn't this that crazy clown who's basically overturning ACORN? Isn't this the paranoid delusional that had one of Obama's appointments resign last week?

Yeah, it's no shocker that he's becoming the new punching bag. Apparently, someone's credibility should be in question when they've met a certain degree of effectiveness.

Keep cryin' and clownin' Beck, we got your back!
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Only an idiot could feel threatened by a goober like Beck.
... or an Obama Administration czar, official, or affiliate.
ebuddy

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 11:39 AM

False. All of Glenn Beck's messages are of equally high importance.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Isn't this that crazy clown who's basically overturning ACORN? Isn't this the paranoid delusional that had one of Obama's appointments resign last week?

Yeah, it's no shocker that he's becoming the new punching bag. Apparently, someone's credibility should be in question when they've met a certain degree of effectiveness.
Or illiteracy. (I'd like to note that Beck uses the aforementioned "I'm just asking questions" tack in this video as well.)
Chuck
___

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 11:53 AM

HAhHAHAHA. Wait... People watch this ****? Holy hell, I haven't watched TV in a while (except Venture Bros on DVD). This is terrifying.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2009, 12:29 PM

You should search for some clips of him 'crying' about the state of our poor country.

At best he is a sideshow attraction, at worst he is a sign of the coming apocalypse.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2009, 12:55 PM

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 01:31 PM

andi*pandi
Sep 14, 2009, 01:33 PM

::tiny violins::

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 01:46 PM

Or illiteracy. (I'd like to note that Beck uses the aforementioned "I'm just asking questions" tack in this video as well.)
Hee heeh!

I love it when people fail at trying to be clever. This is fail blog worthy.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
OMG... I have to confess I've never seen the man before. He's downright insane.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 03:10 PM

beck, the leader of the small minded hicks

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
beck, the leader of the small minded hicks
Sorry, bro. Gotta do my non-partisan disclaimer.

I stand by the my assertion that there are a great deal of tools on the right and the left. I don't particularly like calling people "hicks" or "fags" because I disagree with them. If you cut me off in traffic, well, that's different. I think most can admit that there are a lot of stupid country folk that are right leaning. That said, most can help me change a tire, fix my lawn mower and perhaps explain why I can't grow corn in my backyard. Most uber-lefties are just plain useless. Sure, if you need to pass out some flyers or make vegan cupcakes (side note: they taste like absolute SH1T!) they can lend a hand. Aside from that, they're just as ****ing annoying. Sometimes worse.

My worthless observations aside, this Beck dude is a *******. Jesus, I don't even think liquifying him to supply crops with nutrients would be worth the effort.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 06:27 PM

pooka: don't you think it's sort of worthless to try to reduce people to caricatures?

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
pooka: don't you think it's sort of worthless to try to reduce people to caricatures?
god **** no. I'd say my assessment of the left and right is pretty much spot on.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
god **** no. I'd say my assessment of the left and right is pretty much spot on.
Hehe..

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 07:58 PM

btw, what's up with bringing chairs to a protest?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
btw, what's up with bringing chairs to a protest?
You need to watch more wrestling.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 06:19 AM

yeah...

BUT did you see how he's basically overturning ACORN and broke the story that led to Van Jones' resignation? I'm just askin'.

Anyone else notice the incredible lack of substance used to judge a guy who is breaking stories virtually unheard of elsewhere? I'm just askin' questions here. Psycho should get a friggin' Pulitzer!
ebuddy

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Good one!
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Sorry, bro. Gotta do my non-partisan disclaimer.

I stand by the my assertion that there are a great deal of tools on the right and the left. I don't particularly like calling people "hicks" or "fags" because I disagree with them. If you cut me off in traffic, well, that's different. I think most can admit that there are a lot of stupid country folk that are right leaning. That said, most can help me change a tire, fix my lawn mower and perhaps explain why I can't grow corn in my backyard. Most uber-lefties are just plain useless. Sure, if you need to pass out some flyers or make vegan cupcakes (side note: they taste like absolute SH1T!) they can lend a hand. Aside from that, they're just as ****ing annoying. Sometimes worse.
!!

My worthless observations aside, this Beck dude is a *******. Jesus, I don't even think liquifying him to supply crops with nutrients would be worth the effort.
I don't understand the visceral hatred of this guy. Like I said, I don't care if he's wearing panties on his head, crying, and running around the front yard screaming THE END IS NEAR! He's breaking stories that are changing the structure of power in Washington and he's overturning a program using our tax dollars to fund whatever reprehensible notion walks into their offices including brothels and human trafficking.
ebuddy

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 09:47 AM

yeah...

BUT did you see how he's basically overturning ACORN and broke the story that led to Van Jones' resignation? I'm just askin'.

Anyone else notice the incredible lack of substance used to judge a guy who is breaking stories virtually unheard of elsewhere? I'm just askin' questions here. Psycho should get a friggin' Pulitzer!
What exactly is Glenn Beck breaking? I don't think he organized the hidden camera expedition, did he? I mean, he's talking about it but so is every other talking head on Fox News, it seems like. And as far as I can tell the "story" that led to Van Jones' resignation was little more than Beck's usual habit of character assassination. Sometimes you get lucky. But it's still not journalism. No Pulitzer for him.

95% of the time, Beck has no substance, so I actually think he is being judged quite fairly on his substance.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Sep 15, 2009 at 09:55 AM. )

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
What exactly is Glenn Beck breaking? I don't think he organized the hidden camera expedition, did he? I mean, he's talking about it but so is every other talking head on Fox News, it seems like.
I think he was the first to have the story. I don't think that ABC/CBS/NBC/CNN YET have it, though it's causing Congress to act.

And as far as I can tell the "story" that led to Van Jones' resignation was little more than Beck's usual habit of character assassination. Sometimes you get lucky. But it's still not journalism. No Pulitzer for him.
The facts are the fact. Van Jones has spent his life engaging in radical and hateful acts. Between being a Communist and thinking that the US had a hand in 9/11, Van Jones assassinated his own character. He engaged in character suicide.

Beck's the guy doing most of the talking about this. You've got to give the scores to Beck. Dan Rather tried to take down George Bush with character assassinations and forged documents. Dan Rather ended up being the guy on the losing end of that one. The truth usually wins out.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
The facts are the fact. Van Jones has spent his life engaging in radical and hateful acts. Between being a Communist and thinking that the US had a hand in 9/11, Van Jones assassinated his own character. He engaged in character suicide.

Beck's the guy doing most of the talking about this. You've got to give the scores to Beck. Dan Rather tried to take down George Bush with character assassinations and forged documents. Dan Rather ended up being the guy on the losing end of that one. The truth usually wins out.
Perhaps, although I'd point out here that you are returning to your own habit of overreaching, boilerplate, shrill partisan remarks when you write, "Van Jones has spent his life engaging in radical and hateful acts." Really? Wikipedia says he was born in 1968. I hope you've got enough ammunition to account for his entire professional career, which includes some legitimately helpful work on conflict resolution and environmental activism. I hope you don't mind if the next time you post I remind everyone that stupendousman has spent his life demonstrating that he is a complete moron on the MacNN forums.

Regardless of the particular facts about Van Jones or ACORN, I was responding to ebuddy's point to say that people have a visceral negative reaction to Glenn Beck because the other 99% of the time he is just making sh!t up, and doing so in an incendiary, fear-mongering way that is destructive to public discourse.

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 02:34 PM

Regardless of the particular facts about Van Jones or ACORN, I was responding to ebuddy's point to say that people have a visceral negative reaction to Glenn Beck because the other 99% of the time he is just making sh!t up, and doing so in an incendiary, fear-mongering way that is destructive to public discourse.
I'd say this more eloquently explains my reflexive puking in the mouth response to seeing jack-tards like this on a soap box. To round out the partisan gaggle, I'd go a step further and say that I see it no different than listening to some of the morons at DailyKos & Huffington blather on so sanctimoniously about the evils of The Rightâ„¢. Well besides the fact that they haven't figured out how to monetize their brand of truth and activism as well. Maybe you can chalk that one up to the herdability of dumber righties. That or their demographic is just more profitable for advertisers.

Long story short, if you believe in something so strongly that you have to scream about it, my first impulse is to punch you. Second would be to take your wallet for wasting my time and hurting my ears. Third would be to come home and brag about it on Facebook.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 04:34 PM

Beck is just Mentally Retarded. how did he even get a show... all the drugs a alcohol he abused made his brains mush
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 05:17 PM

Honestly, no. ACORN isn't something I care all that much about. Can you tell me why it should be? (I mean this sincerely. I hear a lot of Republicans talk about ACORN, but as far as I can tell, it's just because they want to smear Obama by association rather than because ACORN matters. They certainly didn't seem to care much before he was on the scene. So I don't get the significance.)

I also don't see how leading Van Jones to resign via what appears to be character assassination is something I should care about. He doesn't appear to have exposed any official misdeeds on Jones' part as far as I can tell. Can you explain how that is supposed to impress me as well?
( Last edited by Chuckit; Sep 15, 2009 at 05:29 PM. )
Chuck
___

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 06:57 PM

Honestly, no. ACORN isn't something I care all that much about. Can you tell me why it should be? (I mean this sincerely. I hear a lot of Republicans talk about ACORN, but as far as I can tell, it's just because they want to smear Obama by association rather than because ACORN matters. They certainly didn't seem to care much before he was on the scene. So I don't get the significance.)

I also don't see how leading Van Jones to resign via what appears to be character assassination is something I should care about. He doesn't appear to have exposed any official misdeeds on Jones' part as far as I can tell. Can you explain how that is supposed to impress me as well?
I can, but in the interest of my own personal time management;
- What impresses you?
- What matters to you?
- What is significant to you?

If I get the impression that your answers are little more than...
- me
- my things
- my things this week

... It would likely be a colossal waste of my time. You see, if none of these things matter; their resignations, firings, and cessation of funding won't either. Why waste time on what concerns me?

BTW- can you break down the "character assassination" against Van Jones?
( Last edited by ebuddy; Sep 15, 2009 at 07:03 PM. )
ebuddy

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 07:09 PM

Essentially, I want to know how these things are anything more than a victory for one side of a political squabble. Do they help me? Do they help the nation? Do they help anyone who isn't invested in bringing down Obama?

Like I said, I've peripherally followed these topics, but not closely, because they struck me as things that don't really matter. They seem like mere ammo.
Chuck
___

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 07:10 PM

What exactly is Glenn Beck breaking? I don't think he organized the hidden camera expedition, did he? I mean, he's talking about it but so is every other talking head on Fox News, it seems like.
How did you hear about the hidden camera expose? Glenn broke the story on Fox, Fox News later picked it up. His spoiler, his program. He was the only one that has had the ACORN-8 on to report their findings over a month ago and he's been on their corruption for some time now.

And as far as I can tell the "story" that led to Van Jones' resignation was little more than Beck's usual habit of character assassination. Sometimes you get lucky. But it's still not journalism. No Pulitzer for him.
By this definition of "lucky", who deserves anything for their work?

95% of the time, Beck has no substance, so I actually think he is being judged quite fairly on his substance.
Can you cite something for which he was wrong? Other than grammatically of course. After all, this seems to be the beginning and end of substance from his detractors.
( Last edited by ebuddy; Sep 15, 2009 at 08:19 PM. )
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 07:45 PM

Essentially, I want to know how these things are anything more than a victory for one side of a political squabble. Do they help me? Do they help the nation? Do they help anyone who isn't invested in bringing down Obama?
Why be concerned about accurate information that stopped the use of your tax dollar on any notion from funding brothels, to child trafficking, and prostitution? Does this bother you? Why should that be an attempt to drag the President down? People have been talking about ACORN since voter-fraud was made evident. The plot thickened that's all. Why should I care enough to be opposed to a self-avowed radical communist losing his job in the White House as a jobs creation advisor to the President? I personally don't care who that happens to make look bad or who it might "score points with" do you? Really?

I'm still wondering about this supposed "character assassination"? Did Beck call Van Jones a pedophile? Did he say something about Van Jones' children or wife or something? Did he call him any of the things that have been said about Glenn in all this?
ebuddy

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
you know that makes a lot of sense

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 11:29 PM

Can you cite something for which he was wrong? Other than grammatically of course. After all, this seems to be the beginning and end of substance from his detractors.
There's a whole thread of links here. How about the "art history" piece?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 06:49 AM

Perhaps, although I'd point out here that you are returning to your own habit of overreaching, boilerplate, shrill partisan remarks when you write, "Van Jones has spent his life engaging in radical and hateful acts." Really? Wikipedia says he was born in 1968. I hope you've got enough ammunition to account for his entire professional career, which includes some legitimately helpful work on conflict resolution and environmental activism.
Individuals can achieve good things while still being a bad, hateful person. Those types do often "make the trains run on time." However, Van Jones has spent a good deal of his adult life spouting hateful rhetoric and engaged in un-American activities.

I hope you don't mind if the next time you post I remind everyone that stupendousman has spent his life demonstrating that he is a complete moron on the MacNN forums.

Your opinion is noted. Glenn Beck hasn't had to step down from his job, the "sh!t" you say he's making up caused his target to resign (and it can be shown to be true), and much of what he points out should cause fear. When the President puts hateful radicals in charge of key points in government, that's not something we shouldn't worry about.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Sep 16, 2009 at 07:28 AM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 07:07 AM

There's a whole thread of links here. How about the "art history" piece?
So he's wrong in pointing out what appears to be communist-inspired artwork throughout New York City? Rockefeller felt that Rivera's mural including the likeness of Lenin himself went a little too far and his preference for the more subtle communist imagery prevailed?

So... this is why Glenn Beck is wrong? In context of the piece, these criticisms aren't very substantive at all. Glenn Beck is pointing out examples of fasces and the critique says he's wrong because the fasces are displayed elsewhere in the US? It's an hour-long program you know. Look, you don't have to bite on the conspiracy theories. Just pay attention when he points out self-avowed radical communists holding important posts in Obama's cabinet or when local organizations usurp tax dollars for criminal conduct.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 07:15 AM

I get it! Glenn Beck is wrong because he's a poop-butt stinky face. Glenn Beck is a poop-butt stinky face because...

- he's opposing... shhhhhh- Obama
- he's challenging... shhhhh- Democrats
- his ratings are through the roof
- he's fearless
- he's exposing the whacky people and notions that have the President's ear
- he's exposing top-down corrupted organizations and their connections such as SEIU and ACORN with brothers as heads of each.
ebuddy

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 07:58 AM

I get it! Glenn Beck is wrong because he's a poop-butt stinky face. Glenn Beck is a poop-butt stinky face because...

- he's opposing... shhhhhh- Obama
- he's challenging... shhhhh- Democrats
- his ratings are through the roof
- he's fearless
- he's exposing the whacky people and notions that have the President's ear
- he's exposing top-down corrupted organizations and their connections such as SEIU and ACORN with brothers as heads of each.
We've seen it all before.

Rush Limbaugh circa 1994.

There soon will be a book out with an insulting title and every unintentional grammatical error and mistake in fact Beck has ever uttered will be featured as if it were a major scandal, attempting to erase all the stuff Beck did that had been effective.

15 years later and they are STILL pegging Limbaugh as the the most effective Republican leader in the land. I'm guessing Beck is hoping that book will come out as soon as possible. It's all he needs to make his journey complete and empty the arsenal of his enemies. Sometimes you have to wonder how the left got as far as it has.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules