Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Tim Cook auctions $50,000 coffee meet for charity

Tim Cook auctions $50,000 coffee meet for charity
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 24, 2013, 03:30 PM

Apple CEO Tim Cook is offering a coffee meet with himself as the prize in a Charitybuzz auction for the RFK Center for Justice and Human Rights. The meet has been given an estimated value of $50,000, but includes a few stipulations, such as a one-hour time limit, a security screening, and the requirement that people rendezvous with Cook at Apple's Cupertino headquarters. People must also pay for any travel and accommodation costs involved in making it to Cupertino.

There are still 20 days left in the auction, but as of this writing bidding is already up to $31,000. The RFK Center is involved in human rights activities in regions like Zimbabwe and the western Sahara, and also runs a series of awards and educational programs. Apple has a mixed record on human rights; while the company helped pioneer corporate support for gay and lesbian couples in the US, it has been criticized as slow to recognize and improve pollution and poor working conditions at its Asian suppliers.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 24, 2013, 11:47 PM

$50,000... that's a lot of coffee...

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2013, 12:54 AM

Current bid $160,000
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 02:48 AM

Jaddie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2013, 11:43 AM

Wow! I hurried over to the site to bid, but it's now at $185,000, and that's about $180,000 above the ceiling I had in mind.

Timbo is the man I'd love to meet, and while I'd say I'd give "anything" to have my son's picture taken with him, the party who's bidding $185,000 has an "anything" that's far above mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules