Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This date in History.............

This date in History.............
Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2002, 10:21 AM

Sep 4 1976

Future U.S. President George W. Bush arrested for drunken driving near his family summer home in Kennebunkport, Maine.
As a candidate Bush tried to keep the incident secret, but a Portland, OR television reporter discovered the arrest days before the election.
His blood alcohol level was 0.10, legally drunk.
It was also revealed that Bush's V.P. candidate, Dick Cheney, had arrests for drunken driving in both 1962 and 1963.

Nimisys
Banned
Sep 4, 2002, 09:07 PM

and the man has been sober since...

seems to me, that he might have learned his leason

also, while arrested, was he actually ever convicted of the DUI?

arrested and convicted are 2 seperate things

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 09:16 PM

It doesn't matter if he was convicted--whether he got punished or not, he still did something exeedingly (sp?) stupid and in charactor.

Phranken9
Sep 4, 2002, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:
It doesn't matter if he was convicted--whether he got punished or not, he still did something exeedingly (sp?) stupid and in charactor.
No- It does matter whether or not you were convicted. That is all that matters really, simply being charged with something does not make you guilty-In this country, "Innocent until proven guilty" is the basic premise that our justice system works on. I'm not arguing that he was not indeed driving drunk, I just don't like the statement that he did it just because he was charged.

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Phranken9:

No- It does matter whether or not you were convicted. That is all that matters really, simply being charged with something does not make you guilty-In this country, "Innocent until proven guilty" is the basic premise that our justice system works on. I'm not arguing that he was not indeed driving drunk, I just don't like the statement that he did it just because he was charged.
Normally I would say you are exactly right. But in this case it was proven he was drunk.
Originally posted by Phranken9:

His blood alcohol level was 0.10, legally drunk
So what difference does it make if he was convicted?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2002, 11:20 PM

At least he didn't lie under oath, like Clinton.

Nimisys
Banned
Sep 4, 2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:

Normally I would say you are exactly right. But in this case it was proven he was drunk.

So what difference does it make if he was convicted?

because it still stands he was arrested, but the US court of law never acknowledged the wrong doing of a crime, and as such the crime really doesn' exist.

say your arrested for murder, they find your shoeprints at the scene along with your gun, you got no alabi, they arrest you but never try or even convict you, lets say the cops screwed something up, it would not be counted as murder, even if you did do it. could i call you a murderer, no, and you would be yelling and screaming every time someone pointed out you were arrested for murder. because you were not convicted, your were never proven guilty, and therefore are innocent

you can't arbitrarely apply principles, they either apply or they don't.

talisker
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:

because it still stands he was arrested, but the US court of law never acknowledged the wrong doing of a crime, and as such the crime really doesn' exist.

say your arrested for murder, they find your shoeprints at the scene along with your gun, you got no alabi, they arrest you but never try or even convict you, lets say the cops screwed something up, it would not be counted as murder, even if you did do it. could i call you a murderer, no, and you would be yelling and screaming every time someone pointed out you were arrested for murder. because you were not convicted, your were never proven guilty, and therefore are innocent

you can't arbitrarely apply principles, they either apply or they don't.
I agree with your "innocent until proven guilty" argument, but at some point common sense has to come into play. No matter if the man was convicted or not, if he definitely had a blood alcohol level that was over the limit, then he definitely was a drunk driver by all reasonable definitions.

A murderer is somebody who commits murder, not somebody who is convicted of murder. By your argument all people convicted of murder are murderers, which unfortunately we all know is not always true. Your argument is true only if the legal system is perfect.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2002, 11:57 PM

Who processed the blood/alcohol test?

A liberal Democrat COP, perhaps?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 12:47 AM

This date one year ago I was drinking vodka.

To commiserate this anniversary I am drinking margaritas and polishing off my schnapps.

As for bush, I think he's a idiot but **** guys, he had a few too many to drink. This is just as bad as saying Clinton was a bad prez cause he got a blow job.

****ing stupid.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Jutaro
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2002, 01:01 AM

I don't care if he was convicted, It was TWENTY SIX YEARS AGO! A 26 year old brutal anal rape and murder charge might concern me, but a DUI?

Gimme a break.

That's OK citizens of the world, sit back on your asses and let the Americans make the tough choices for you...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2002, 01:09 AM

now, i am not a huge bush fan, but it seems to me that if this is the best "dirt" they can dig up on ol' dubya - a 20 year old incident that at the time did not have the social stigma and media attention like it does now - then he must be a helluva lot cleaner than just about every other recent president.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
now, i am not a huge bush fan, but it seems to me that if this is the best "dirt" they can dig up on ol' dubya - a 20 year old incident that at the time did not have the social stigma and media attention like it does now - then he must be a helluva lot cleaner than just about every other recent president.
Well, his father was head of the CIA, it was a bit intimidating to prosecute him. Can you blame them for not taking it to trial? They would have been transeferred to Alaska.

And, since the 1980's, the Bush family has been under the protection of the federal government - so if there has been anything going on in his life, it's a state secret and gets washed away. Clean for so long is more like "under the cloak for so long".

Case in point: the Bush twins. Not even out of college, they've been caught drinking under age in bars, and are rumored to have been caught shoplifting... and nothing comes of it, or it gets "forgotten". Unless they kill someone, we're never gonna know what they really get up to. Being in the president's family has its perks.
( Last edited by pathogen; Sep 5, 2002 at 03:28 AM. )
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 5, 2002, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
At least he didn't lie under oath, like Clinton.
And by doing so, making the very people he is supposed to be serving, out to be liars.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 5, 2002, 09:07 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 5, 2004 at 03:15 AM. )

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by pathogen:

Well, his father was head of the CIA, it was a bit intimidating to prosecute him. Can you blame them for not taking it to trial? They would have been transeferred to Alaska.

And, since the 1980's, the Bush family has been under the protection of the federal government - so if there has been anything going on in his life, it's a state secret and gets washed away. Clean for so long is more like "under the cloak for so long".

Case in point: the Bush twins. Not even out of college, they've been caught drinking under age in bars, and are rumored to have been caught shoplifting... and nothing comes of it, or it gets "forgotten". Unless they kill someone, we're never gonna know what they really get up to. Being in the president's family has its perks.
Thank you!

People in this forum were arguing over "convivtions" as if justice were applied fairly in the US. Bush convicted for something... HA! That's funny. This guys 10x the non-stick Clinton was. Clinton was in hot water for years over a $40,000 investment that was shady. Bush, he illegaly profits $800,000 from an investment, and there is barely a mention of it.

Wake up people. Of course he wasn't convicted: he was George Bush's son.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 09:51 PM

Big deal. Nobody seems to care about his rumored cocaine use anymore (which he didn't deny), so who cares about a DUI from 26 years ago?

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Patrick:
Big deal. Nobody seems to care about his rumored cocaine use anymore (which he didn't deny), so who cares about a DUI from 26 years ago?
He never denied using drugs, he also never denied driving drunk. When Bush was faced with evidence he owned up and pointed out the fact that he at one time had a drinking problem. Now he doesn't even drink. The drug rumors he never addressed directly except to say that he could have served in his father's white house. (under those restrictions concerning drug use).

I'm not the biggest bush fan in the world, but I do respect the fact that owned up to these things (I can't speak to any other allegations since I haven't been keeping up with the news.. darn graduate school). Not to say that he's better than the last guy, but he is a clear contrast from "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"... and anyone who thinks that was all about a blow job is willfully blind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules