Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there a way to force free mem ?

Is there a way to force free mem ?
Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 09:15 AM

Hi,

Is there a way to force OSX (Panther) to free memory ? E.g in the Terminal!?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 09:29 AM

If you want to free memory, quit some apps. If OS X is using the memory, it's because it's needed. There is no way to free memory in Terminal. As soon as the memory is freed by an app or the system, it's available to other apps.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 09:34 AM

If you want the so called "free" memory you see in Top to rise just do a "sude periodic weekly" in the terminal. It takes a while but it makes memory "free".

And in the next post someone will tell you that this is not necessary.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 09:44 AM

Thanks guys.

It's just that I have very few programs open; Safari(I know it's a little memory hungry) Mail,iTunes,TextEdit, Proteus, Konfabulator(4 widgets). And I have ~10Mb free. How ever I noticed that when I started Aquisition, alot of memory was free'd=~60Mb. It bugs me since I have 512Mb ram(SD-RAM) in my iMac.

And I also feel that Finder is a little slow and such.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
If you want the so called "free" memory you see in Top to rise just do a "sude periodic weekly" in the terminal. It takes a while but it makes memory "free".

What exactly does this "sudo periodic weekly" do ? How long will it take on a 800Mhz iMac ca.?

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:

Executing weekly maintenance scripts has NOTHING to do with freeing memory. It basically rebuilds the locate database and archive log files.

The fact that the free memory changes under top is just because running the scripts required some memory and as a consequence, OS X has probably freed memory used for caches...

btw, it's sudo with 'o' and not sude...

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Thanks guys.

It's just that I have very few programs open; Safari(I know it's a little memory hungry) Mail,iTunes,TextEdit, Proteus, Konfabulator(4 widgets). And I have ~10Mb free. How ever I noticed that when I started Aquisition, alot of memory was free'd=~60Mb. It bugs me since I have 512Mb ram(SD-RAM) in my iMac.

And I also feel that Finder is a little slow and such.
You aren't running OS 9. Free memory is wasted memory. However, if you only have ~10MB free and your pageout count is high, you would do well to have more memory.

In UNIX, memory allocation is dynamic. When programs need memory, it is given to them. If a program needs memory and there isn't any to give, the OS will either free pages that are unchanged (i.e. programs) or put pages that have been changed in the virtual memory (i.e. data).

Consider this: Suppose you have 512MB of RAM, but you want 256MB free when you are running your applications. Therefore, you have 256MB that is unused. That's like pulling out a 256MB module. Obviously, that is NOT going to make your system MORE efficient. Therefore, don't worry about free memory. You aren't running OS 9.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
You aren't running OS 9. Free memory is wasted memory. However, if you only have ~10MB free and your pageout count is high, you would do well to have more memory.

In UNIX, memory allocation is dynamic. When programs need memory, it is given to them. If a program needs memory and there isn't any to give, the OS will either free pages that are unchanged (i.e. programs) or put pages that have been changed in the virtual memory (i.e. data).

Consider this: Suppose you have 512MB of RAM, but you want 256MB free when you are running your applications. Therefore, you have 256MB that is unused. That's like pulling out a 256MB module. Obviously, that is NOT going to make your system MORE efficient. Therefore, don't worry about free memory. You aren't running OS 9.
Thank you for that explaination I appreciate it. Now I can sleep safely tonight, hehe.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by pat++:
Executing weekly maintenance scripts has NOTHING to do with freeing memory. It basically rebuilds the locate database and archive log files.

The fact that the free memory changes under top is just because running the scripts required some memory and as a consequence, OS X has probably freed memory used for caches...

btw, it's sudo with 'o' and not sude...
Yeah I know, but it gives the effect he wishes.

I also know it's sudo, that was a typo

Forum Links
Forum Rules