Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sonos Borrowing Too Heavily From iPod?

Sonos Borrowing Too Heavily From iPod?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2004, 05:55 PM

Hey there,
I've got to admit, I fell in love with her the first time I laid eyes on her:

Sonos Digital Music System

But could it be because she reminded me of another girlfriend who swept me off my feet the first time I'd seen her as well:

Apple iPod

There's no doubt that the Sonos idea and demo previewing this week at the "D2: All Things Digital" conference in Carlsbad, CA makes me feel like my 3 unit Slim Devices home system's days are numbered... but will the Sonos be delayed past the initial "Fall" release date? You'd have thought that Sonos' heavily borrowed (for a good reason) navigation system would have undergone more scrutiny from within to not have to deal with the impending wrath of Cupertino.

How many folks think the Sonos Controller's form factor will change dramatically before it launches on a date far, far away? It's a shame too, since Apple hit industrial design's navigational home run. Although Apple deserves to protect it's patent and win, I'm hoping the Sonos Controller can stay fairly similar.

See ya,
BD
( Last edited by BoulderDash; Jun 10, 2004 at 11:36 PM. )

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 11:14 AM

Ya, I was expecting a lot of chatter about the Sonos unit too. But then AEXP came out and well.... Great design. Cool implementation. Solid looking device. A couple problems though. It doesn't SEEM to actually recognize your iTunes playlists. It looks like it's a whole separate system. It also won't (now nor any time soon, if ever) play ITMS songs. This is a real deal-breaker for me. Too bad. I just hope Apple addresses the AEXP remote issue soon...

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2004, 12:40 PM

Well,
Though I am a fan of Apple's AirPort Express with AirTunes and the future of what could come, for the time being I'd still have to control my music from a Mac (or PC) via iTunes instead of having the portability the Sonos allows. And if the future came early, I'd most likely still be stuck with a color-less iPod interface that has no ability to display Cover Art (not to mention the iPod's storage limitations).

Unfortunately; the more I think about it, the more I see Sonos getting pushed farther and farther back because it infringes on Apple's software (hierarchical display) and hardware (touch wheel) patents. Ah well, good luck in the re-design fellas!
BD

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2004, 12:55 PM

Can we put an alarm on threads like this to pop them up in a year so that we can see what, if anything, happened to the design of products like this that are similar to Apple products? Perhaps it'll stop people from thinking that anything even remotely similar to an Apple product is law-suit worthy.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2004, 01:05 PM

Hmm,
If you're referring to "people" like me... you're sorely mistaken and off point:

1) I'd love for the Sonos to come out as it is currently designed.

2) Steve Jobs himself was written up by the Wall Street Journal as saying "he believed the product might violate Apple patents realted to the design of the iPod."

3) The patents are clear so long as you take the time to read the information I've taken the time to link.

BD

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 03:32 PM

IMO the remote to the Sonos system is something I would have expected Apple to come up with. Think about it. That would be the perfect device to remotely control iTunes over a wireless network. If Apple had something like that it's system would be functionally equivalent to Sonos with the exception of being able to stream to more than one set of speakers. However, I imagine Apple could add that functionality in a subsequent software/firmware release.

OAW

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2004, 03:55 PM

While I do think it is really cool the one thing i do not like about it is the basestations are amplifiers. If they have an option to get these iis powered and inpowered then I can see it, ut only one way doesn't do to well when you already have a stereo. Still I have to admit if those are the remote then that is a beautiful looking setup and one I hope that someone brings out to compliment the airport express setup.

boardsurfer
Jun 12, 2004, 01:21 AM

dang that remote is wicked cool. a liiiiitle on the pricey side though

hondo
Dec 17, 2006, 04:55 PM

I am currently building a house and this system was offered when we looked at security systems, home theater wiring, etc. I'll have to admit that we played with this the whole time we were there and left wanting one. It is suppose to connect with my Mac and iTunes library as well as the Rhapsody music service (I know it is not iTunes and that was a bummer for me). It was the first time we had heard of it and I wondered if anyone here was familiar with it or know of any huge negatives. It is a little pricey but is there a comparable alternative that would be better.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 04:12 AM

I really like Apple's system.. But the Sonos has a couple of things I would love in my new home... 1)that remote... 2) the ability to work with it w/o running to the computer

The second is the greatest thing.. I don't always want to run to my computer to change a song or change which speakers / aex units to turn on/off.... Anyone with any updates on all of this?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2007, 08:35 AM

Well,
In terms of "updates," you can always hit the Sonos Forums:

Sonos Forums

In terms of feedback... I bought it the day it was released, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it. See ya,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules