Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Quake 3 vs UT2004

Quake 3 vs UT2004
cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2005, 07:55 PM

i have quake 3 and other than a random crash, it's fun to play.

i noticed that UT2004 looks a little better graphic wise and lets you ride vehicles, if i'm not mistaken, which sounds like fun.

i was wondering how well UT2004 would run on my iMac 800 MHz with 256 MB ram. quake 3 has a little bit of lag at times (hardly notice it), but that could be being caused by adium running when i play.

another thing i noticed is that UT2004 takes up 5 GB of hard drive space (according to the system specs for windows. i can't find mac specs, but it is out for mac.), is that true? quake only takes up 1 GB and thats with lots of extra models and maps i downloaded.

how well would UT2004 run on my iMac?
is UT2004 more fun than quake 3?
can UT2004 be played LAN?

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by cruciarius:
i have quake 3 and other than a random crash, it's fun to play.

i noticed that UT2004 looks a little better graphic wise and lets you ride vehicles, if i'm not mistaken, which sounds like fun.

i was wondering how well UT2004 would run on my iMac 800 MHz with 256 MB ram. quake 3 has a little bit of lag at times (hardly notice it), but that could be being caused by adium running when i play.

another thing i noticed is that UT2004 takes up 5 GB of hard drive space (according to the system specs for windows. i can't find mac specs, but it is out for mac.), is that true? quake only takes up 1 GB and thats with lots of extra models and maps i downloaded.

how well would UT2004 run on my iMac?
is UT2004 more fun than quake 3?
can UT2004 be played LAN?
Minimum System Requirements: Macintosh 933MHz/G4-G5 or faster processor, Mac OS X v10.2.8 or higher, 256MB RAM, 32MB AGP Video Card, DVD Drive, 6GB hard disk space. Internet or LAN connection required for online play. (Note: Some maps and game types playable on 800MHz, or faster, processors).

256mb of ram is barely enough to run OSX alone, so yes, you will have some issues with UT2004 with your setup. The minimum requirements posted above are from macsofts website, but believe me, they are being generous when they say 256mb of ram. You probably will not be able to play onlsaught maps (vehicle maps) with your processor because the maps can be fairly large. To see how it will run download the demo:
http://www.macsoftgames.com/products.../demo-pop.html

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
Minimum System Requirements: Macintosh 933MHz...
that killed me...i only have 800MHz.

i know it requires 256 MB ram, but hopefully soon, i'd be upgrading to 2 512 MB ram chips, so it wouldn't matter...but that 933Mhz...geez.

edit: o some are playable on 800Mhz...still...i wouldn't be able to play everything.

emark
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2005, 10:12 PM

I play with a dual 800 QS. the 2nd processor is only enlisted for offloading sound processing, which is 1-2% of load now that the bug which plagued the first release of demo and retail versions is fixed.

On most maps I'm fine with settings to lowest.

I do have a Gig of memory (and geforce4 Ti, previously w/ geforce 4 mx w/ 64 mb and twinview), but if you bumped up with a 512 or a minimum of a 256 MB stick you'd probably enjoy it...but the best test of what you find is acceptable is to download the demo and play it for FREE!

Yes, I wish I had faster CPUs now, but still have a blast...

have fun.

cruciarius  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2005, 10:52 PM

this is confusing...

windoze requirements say 5 GB
macsoft says requirements is 6 GB
and apple says 1.4 GB

although i'm sure i'd enjoy it, knowing i wouldn't be able to play all game modes, would really upset me. the whole reason i was looking at UT2004 was for the vehicles.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 11:43 AM

You realize your comparing an old FPS game, Quake 3, to a much newer FPS game, UT2004. I think Quake 3 was released when the orignal UT (also called UT99) was released. The 800Mhz G4 is holding you back as well as your GPU and RAM - time for an upgrade if you want to play modern FPS games. Modern FPS games are much more graphic intensive than their 4 or 5 year old counterparts.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules