Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App to set "hard disk to sleep"?

App to set "hard disk to sleep"?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2005, 08:45 AM

Hey there,
I use a B&W G3 running OS X 10.3.8 as my music server; with "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" checked in its "Energy Saver" System Preference.

Once the last song plays (or thereabout), it puts the disks to sleep after about 5 minutes. And then it cranks back up when I'm picking something else. Is there an application that could change it to wait X amount of minutes before putting it to sleep? Ideally, I'd like it to be 45 or 60. I don't want to uncheck it since there are times when I travel for days, so it would be worthless to have them spinning for no reason.

And; the G3 is headless, so it wouldn't be a simple issue to just open its "Energy Saver" every time to adjust it. Thanks,
BD

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2005, 06:43 PM

Okay,
I see that Cocktail 3.5 allows one to designate how long before the hard disks spindown. Which I suppose is the answer to my dilemma, since I would simply uncheck "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible" in the "Energy Saver" System Preference and rely on the Cocktail setting from there on out.

My new question is if anyone can point me to a way to set this elsewhere (possibly through the command line, etc.), since I already own Macaroni 2.0 and need not purchase Cocktail for any other reason (since Macaroni does similar tasks as Cocktail).

Thanks,
BD

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2005, 08:35 PM

You can set many more power manager options, such as drive spin down time, by using the command line tool pmset. Type man pmset in the Terminal for more information.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2005, 10:12 PM

Thanks,
HMUG - Mac OS X/Darwin Man Pages seems to have a good description. I suppose I would type the following command into the Terminal to cause spindown after 60 min's of inactivity:

pmset -c spindown 60

Also, would you help me out with the following (since I can't make it out from the article):

- Would this work on 10.3 and 10.2?
- Does "saved in a persistent preferences file" mean the G3 will remember this settingfrom restart to restart?
- Will this setting apply to the boot disk AND the two drives I have in a RAID array using a Tempo RAID133 card (i.e. all 3 drives will spindown)?

Thanks a ton,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules