Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IBook2 Question

IBook2 Question
Christina
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2001, 12:45 PM

Hi, all!

I'm going to get a new IBook here in a month or two (with my luck they'll come out with new ones a couple months after I do tho ). Wouldn't mind a TiBook, but the cost is a bit much unfortunately.

I like the integration on the high-end unit, so am thinking of getting it w/the 20gb hard drive and the airport card. Probably just pick up an extra 256mb dimm somewhere else.

Is the extra battery pack worth it on the unit? For myself, I mainly fly w/in the United States (say 5 hour maximum flight...).

Thanks, all!

Christina
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2001, 01:37 PM

Well, it really depends. With the LCD brightness turned down a bit, the iBoook battery lasts a LONG time. I flew from Baltimore to Seattle, and used my iBook most of the way (the brightness was perhaps half of full power). When I got there, it still wasn't empty. An extra battery isn't too big, and would give you even more time, but do you really need it?

Opus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2001, 01:39 PM

Definitely worthwhile if you want to watch two movies....I have been getting between 3-3.5 hours out of my battery...and a little less...but easily a full movies worth.....so for an extra 100 bucks or so....definitely worth it!

Christina  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2001, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the replies so far! I think I'll go w/the extra battery, just in case I feel like watching DVDs on a long flight. Plus, I'm going to Thailand for some fun soon, and the 19 hour flight can get boring.

Christina
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2001, 08:05 PM

I'm wondering about the battery on the iBook - is there any way to treat it? I know that on an old RCA camcorder , the salesman said to always run the battery down to empty before re-charging it - what about the iBook's battery? Will it start to not keep a charge after awhile, and if so, what's the best way to keep the battery good and healthy?

So far I've been keeping an AC adapter nearby, ready to charge it up whenever it gets low... but AirPort and an iBook is *so* choice! Christina, if you have the means, I highly recommend getting it... typing this while listening to Ferris Beuler's Day Off

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2001, 06:28 AM

No, the new iBook has a LithiumIon battery. You don't need to fully discharge it, then fully charge it or the like.
LiIon batteries don't suffer from the so-called memory effect.
So don't worry about that.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules