Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS 9.x on Xserve

OS 9.x on Xserve
iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 11:25 AM

Does anyone know if OS 9.x can run on Xserve? This could be the first OS X only Mac!

hempcamp
Forum Regular
May 19, 2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by iJed:
<STRONG>Does anyone know if OS 9.x can run on Xserve? This could be the first OS X only Mac!</STRONG>
Someone asked that question at the end of the unveiling, and Jobs rather sharply retorted that Xserve was made to run OS X Server. Usually, the Apple ROM in all of their computers prevents one from running anything older than the OS that shipped with the machine on that machine. But we all know that with Open Firmware this is a little easier to get around. Perhaps 9 will run on the Xserve, we'll have to see...

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2002, 10:16 AM

Why would you EVER want to run OS9 on Xserve? OS9 has it's place, but EVERYTHING pails in comparison to the server abilities under the hood of X. I'm using 9 now, but I would never pay 3G's for the lowest end model so that I could dump 9 on it...

Mauro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2002, 01:37 PM

Mitchell,

The Xserve is the PERFECT machine for all audio production needs. It's rackmountable, one space only, removable hard drives, fast, networkable, 3 PCI slots for other peripherals, audio cards, Digital audio interfaces, etc., perfect for remote recording, and data sharing in a studio suite. Not to mention educational uses at universities/colleges/etc.

The big problem? Most audio applications still run only on OS9, and will take a while before they convert to OS X. So I would also like for it to run on OS 9. If it did, I bet most of the pro audio market would make the switch in a snap. I would certainly do!

Mauro.

jwblase
Senior User
May 23, 2002, 05:31 PM

It being after the dev conference, I think Steve's comments meant that Audio developers should get their a$$es in gear and start making some X apps.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

iJed  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2002, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>Why would you EVER want to run OS9 on Xserve? OS9 has it's place, but EVERYTHING pails in comparison to the server abilities under the hood of X. I'm using 9 now, but I would never pay 3G's for the lowest end model so that I could dump 9 on it...</STRONG>
I was just wondering if this was the first OS X only Mac. I do not personally want to run OS 9 on it.

Spacebass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2002, 11:32 AM

Hi Mauro !

I totally agree...!!!! I would buy the Xserve for exactly the same purpose...!

...But, would it be possible for me to hook up my PowerBook G4 (550) to the Xserve via, say, the Gigabit Ethernet port on both the devices..?

Or should I use another config....?

And would I be able to use both the processors (intern. PBook+Xserve) at the same time..?

Sorry, a lot of questions, but if U can enlight me with info about this I'll be very grateful..

Thanx,

Spacebass

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 28, 2002, 11:53 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Spacebass:
<strong>Hi Mauro !

I totally agree...!!!! I would buy the Xserve for exactly the same purpose...!

...But, would it be possible for me to hook up my PowerBook G4 (550) to the Xserve via, say, the Gigabit Ethernet port on both the devices..?

Or should I use another config....?

And would I be able to use both the processors (intern. PBook+Xserve) at the same time..?

Sorry, a lot of questions, but if U can enlight me with info about this I'll be very grateful..

Thanx,

Spacebass</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You could definately use the gigabit ethernet to hook them up. Also, you could use both processors. However, this is a technique called cluster computing. The applications you use would have to be specifically designed for this.

If you are a developer, read up on MPI (I use the lam distribution myself). This will enable you to write and run cluster computing applications.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Spacebass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2002, 12:42 PM

Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, but the main app. that I'll be using is Logic Audio Platinum ( pro-sequencer ) which is optimized for G4 & Dual processor machines...

Would this be sufficient, in terms of cluster configuration..??

Cheers,

Forum Links
Forum Rules