Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Some words for the US ambassador to Canada

Some words for the US ambassador to Canada
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 03:52 PM

CBC: Wilkins slams Day for questioning U.S. on Arar

I have a few words for you, Mr Wilkins: go yourself.

Parliament apologized to Arar and the government has been asking Washington to remove him from a watch list that prevents him from travelling to the U.S., despite being cleared in Canada.

However, the U.S. has refused to do so and has not explained why.

We already know why: the US isn't prepared to admit it completely up when it sent a Canadian citizen to Syria to be tortured.

The ambassador reiterated that the U.S. found its own reasons to keep Arar on the watch list.

Translation: we'd prefer to ignore this whole affair rather than admit a mistake.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 03:58 PM

I gotta say, I agree with Wilkins on this one:

Originally Posted by article
"It's a little presumptuous for him [Day] to say who the United States can and cannot allow into our country," Wilkins told reporters Wednesday.
Kind of like a few other Canadians in here.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 04:19 PM

Oh sure, and American officials have never complained about who gets let into Canada? Remember this?

from The Washington Times:
For years, our intelligence services have warned and even begged Canadian officials to do something about its dangerous open immigration policies. Immigration policies that continually allow highly suspicious people into Canada with a free shot at the United States.

U.S. politicians from both sides of the aisle have joined with U.S. law enforcement personnel to ask Canada to address this growing security threat. In response, Canadian politicians from the left have basically said, "Drop dead." We may yet. And how tragic it would be if the deaths of thousands of innocent Americans came at the hands of a terrorist that Canada willingly allowed into their country.

What ing hypocrisy.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 07:27 PM

It would be in Canada's best interest to listen to US intelligence services.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
it might be, if they provided any reasons or evidence. but in this case they aren't.

-r.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 07:43 PM

They do - the same way the US listens to the Canadian intelligence service. And then both of our countries get to make their own decisions, just as it should be.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
it might be, if they provided any reasons or evidence. but in this case they aren't.

-r.
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
They do - the same way the US listens to the Canadian intelligence service. And then both of our countries get to make their own decisions, just as it should be.
And there is where it all lies, you two are very reasonable. The OP resorts to name calling and profanity laced insults. Don't you guys have a hard time with that? Not that I expect him to change, but he's actin just like the people he's criticizing.

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 24, 2007, 09:59 PM

Canada, I will gift you with my wisdom. Hearken ye linfidels!

You suckle from the nipple of security provided by The Great Satan, while your own citizens' flatulence feeds a freak show bacterial culture that is your government and your immigration policies. If you were wise, you would harden your hearts to the inflow of Islamic militants and extremists, who choose Canada for its lenient refugee laws and welfare state.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
We already know why: the US isn't prepared to admit it completely up when it sent a Canadian citizen to Syria to be tortured.
You forget that some of the up intelligence on Arar came from the RCMP. ie. Canada is partially responsible for US's actions to Arar.

This reminds me of the incident encountered by some of my friends in university on a trip to Haiti. They included Canadians, US citizens, and somebody with a passport from Asia IIRC. They went from Montreal to Haiti to volunteer, but some moron in Canada warned the Haiti government that they couldn't vouch for this volunteer group. So when they arrived in Haiti, they were detained. Repeated calls to the Canadian consulate was met with a deafening silence. Finally, an American in the group called the US consulate, and all was then sorted out.

Yes I digress, but I'm just pointing out that Canadian intelligence agencies are sometimes completely out-to-lunch, and sometimes mistreatment of Canadians in other countries is directly due to Canadian intelligence agencies being so out-to-lunch.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
You forget that some of the up intelligence on Arar came from the RCMP. ie. Canada is partially responsible for US's actions to Arar.

This reminds me of the incident encountered by some of my friends in university on a trip to Haiti. They included Canadians, US citizens, and somebody with a passport from Asia IIRC. They went from Montreal to Haiti to volunteer, but some moron in Canada warned the Haiti government that they couldn't vouch for this volunteer group. So when they arrived in Haiti, they were detained. Repeated calls to the Canadian consulate was met with a deafening silence. Finally, an American in the group called the US consulate, and all was then sorted out.

Yes I digress, but I'm just pointing out that Canadian intelligence agencies are sometimes completely out-to-lunch, and sometimes mistreatment of Canadians in other countries is directly due to Canadian intelligence agencies being so out-to-lunch.
Dude, I hope you have some flame-proof underwear on.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 10:34 PM

To be fair, I think it's clear that US intelligence agencies are often completely out-to-lunch as well. The whole Iraq WMD business is a prime example.

The point I was trying to make was that Canada shares blame in this Arar fiasco.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2007, 10:56 PM

To be fair, I think it's clear that US intelligence agencies are often completely out-to-lunch as well. The whole Iraq WMD business is a prime example.

The point I was trying to make was that Canada shares blame in this Arar fiasco.
Agreed.

Again... flame-resistant undies? Check.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 03:46 AM

I don't think thats a fair statement at all

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 12:32 PM

I haven't forgotten at all.

The Canadian gov't initiated an investigation on the how's and why's of this horrible screw-up, admitting fault, leading to the resignation of the RCMP commissioner, a formal apology to Arar from the gov't of Canada, and a compensation package. In other words: they owned up.

The US gov't has decided to do everything expect own up, including making up lies about "independent information."

My prediction: Arar's name will be cleared by the post-Bush administration. We know this administration will tell lies and shift blame about anything and everything.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zarqawi's Eye View Post
You suckle from the nipple of security provided by The Great Satan, while your own citizens' flatulence feeds a freak show bacterial culture that is your government and your immigration policies. If you were wise, you would harden your hearts to the inflow of Islamic militants and extremists, who choose Canada for its lenient refugee laws and welfare state.
Tiresome stupidity.

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 12:46 PM

Tiresome stupidity.
Personal attack.

You make Zarqawi sad.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 12:54 PM

Good to see you back.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 01:00 PM

Personal attack.
I didn't attack you personally. I said your post was stupid, and it was.

Rumor
Jan 25, 2007, 01:39 PM

Personal attack.

You make Zarqawi sad.
*sniff* *sniff* Smells familiar...
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 01:41 PM

I haven't forgotten at all.

The Canadian gov't initiated an investigation on the how's and why's of this horrible screw-up, admitting fault, leading to the resignation of the RCMP commissioner, a formal apology to Arar from the gov't of Canada, and a compensation package. In other words: they owned up.

The US gov't has decided to do everything expect own up, including making up lies about "independent information."

My prediction: Arar's name will be cleared by the post-Bush administration. We know this administration will tell lies and shift blame about anything and everything.
Translated: The US should have ignored Canada's intelligence on Arar in the first place.

Maybe the US felt it learned its lesson, and now are ignoring what we Canadians tell them.

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 25, 2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Good to see you back.
All praise to Allah for my miraculous resurrection. Time in hell for my terrorist crimes and a brutal but justified death at the hands of righteous infidels does wonders for perspective.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 06:21 PM

While the great satan's boundless buffoonery tears at the teat of global security, Canada forgoes your rancid milk in sending her troops to collect Taliban blood.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 06:40 PM

You mean the one that said Iraq had Nukes, no thank you, I think our track record is better.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 06:43 PM

And Canada is trying to undo its mistake, which our government admitted to, the problem is now the US wont admit to anything and wont undo what they can to fix the problem. I don't think this is a blame game any more but its now a owning up and correcting game which the US refuses to do along side us.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 06:46 PM

Translated: The US should have ignored Canada's intelligence on Arar in the first place.

Maybe the US felt it learned its lesson, and now are ignoring what we Canadians tell them.
Well I think the mistake was where they sent him personally, he should have been sent back to Canada.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 10:56 AM

Senator Leahy (D-Ver) and Senator Specter (R-Penn) are being given the runaround. U.S. Senators get few answers on Arar case.
Specter said he can't understand why the United States is still watching Arar and banning him from flights, while Canada is apologizing to him and paying him millions.

"Why are there different conclusions between the government of Canada and the government of the United States?" he asked. "We need to know more about the facts to determine that."

Both he and Leahy said they don't have enough information to say whether Arar should be on the watch list or not.

"We've been asking these questions for a very, very long time and we intend to continue to ask the questions," Leahy said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules