Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Saudi court sentences foreigners for drinking, dancing at mixed gender party

Saudi court sentences foreigners for drinking, dancing at mixed gender party
:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 01:46 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...-arrests_x.htm

No, it isn't terrorism. It is more of a 'reading the tea leaves.'

But with the rising numbers of muslims in EU countries I'd think this would be a concern. Is it?

If the muslim population became the majority in EU nations, is it conceivable that sharia law could be enacted?

The article says it is resented by many… but how many want this kind of law? Is it pervasive?

I think what is most disturbing is that these convicts were foreigners.

T

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 03:23 PM

What's the problem here? These people are disobeying the laws of a country in which they're guests; they should expect to be punished according to the laws. Whether they like them or not is irrelevant. Many years ago, when I was in the Air Force, I used to give base newcomers' briefings, when stationed in Turkey. One of the many points I made sure to cover was that it was/still is illegal to make defamatory remarks about Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern day Turkey, and if you did, you could wind up in a Turkish jail. It still is illegal to even deface currency with his picture on it, such as stomping on a bill, or to make disparaging remarks about many aspects of Turkish life/culture (as the Armenian editor who was recently assasinated in Turkey found out the hard way). Many of us think these laws are arcane and unjust, but that doesn't change them. One of the main stumbling blocks in Turkey's entrance to the EU is its horrible human rights record, and the only reason we remain "friends" with Saudi Arabia is because we can't (won't) stop filling our overextended bellys with their oil. Most people who are up on the news know that Saudi Arabia, and most of the ME, are hardly bastions of democracy and are theocratic states, but we'd rather continue driving at 80mph in our gas guzzlers, and conveniently ignore reality, so, as long as this doesn't affect us personally, we feign a little shock at the news, and keep on flying along.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 03:27 PM

But that isn't the question he asked. What happens when England becomes Rome.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 03:35 PM

Then the English will have to make up their minds as to how to deal with that situation. It is happening here in the U. S. as well. By early in the next century the majority of people in America are expected to be Mexican/Hispanics, and the old rich white guys who run this country now are going to have to learn to deal with that as well. Why do you think we have such stupid, xenophobic, remarks coming out of people like Rep. Goode, who made a huge fuss about a newly elected Muslim taking his oath on the Quran? It was simply because he isn't white, Christian, old, and rich! Countries change over time; either deal with it or leave.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 03:42 PM

Oh there are other options than "Deal with it or leave" Karl

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yes, emigration.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 04:05 PM

I have acquaintances that worked in Saudi Arabia. These rules are spelled out very clearly to foreign workers when they arrive. However, it has been true that in private compounds where the foreigners live the Saudi authorities often looked the other way, when get togethers have been done discreetly.

However, when the parties are obvious or off private compounds, you're more liable to get charged. We don't know all the details, but it's quite possible that the foreigners flaunted the rules a little too much this time. Either that, or else some authorities are getting more strict with the foreigners. Nonetheless, the law is the law.

It's tough, but then again, remember that many foreigners working there are doing so because of the high pay and the favourable tax laws. ie. My acquaintances who work there often get double the salary and pay no Canadian/American taxes. The price that has to be paid though is abiding by Muslim law. Some tough it out, and make out like bandits for several years in terms of pay, and then come back to North America with a nice retirement nest egg. The ones that decide they don't want to tough it out end up just leaving.

P.S. One Saudi guy who did some training at the same time I did in Canada offered me a job there for a few years, again at twice the salary. I appreciated the offer, but I said no for the above reasons.
( Last edited by Eug; Feb 5, 2007 at 04:14 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 04:18 PM

In any given situation, there are three options.

Put up with it (and most likely complain and be unhappy)

Work to change it

Leave the situation.

Europe is wrestling with the immigration issue today, as is the U. S. i have to leave for a while, so i'll leave it at that for now.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:21 PM

So you are basically agreeing with me now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 04:24 PM

Oh there are other options than "Deal with it or leave"
Yes, but the real issue here isn't foreigners fighting on behalf of the UN or whatever for human rights for the locals in Saudi Arabia.

These are foreigners wanting to go out partying and get p!ssed, when they know the law forbids it.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yes, but the real issue here isn't foreigners on behalf of the UN or whatever fighting for human rights for the locals in Saudi Arabia.

These are foreigners wanting to go out partying and get p!ssed, when they know the law forbids it.
His question I believe was, what happens when those that carry these beliefs become the majority ELSEWHERE.

:dragonflypro:  (op)
Senior User
Feb 5, 2007, 04:30 PM

Yeah, it is a hypothetical.

And, as there is a large amount of muslim emigration into EU nations I think it is at least a possibility at some point.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 04:31 PM

His question I believe was, what happens when those that carry these beliefs become the majority ELSEWHERE.
Well, I think it's a bit of a manufactured question.

The issues of countries with large immigrant populations generally aren't directly around religion and religious laws. There are aspects of that, but usually the bigger issue is employment and poverty.

Around here, we have huge Asian populations and large muslim populations as well. Yes, there are Chinese malls that are 98% Chinese, and there are muslim schools and mosques everywhere, but most people seem to get on fine. The main reason IMO is most seem to be employed.

P.S. There is a new TV show on in Canada. It's a muslim sitcom, and it's actually quite amusing at times, although a bit hokey.

Little Mosque On The Prairie

Girl shows muslim dad with new outfit, bellybutton exposed:

Dad: You look like a Protestant!
Girl: You mean prostitute.
Dad: No, I mean Protestant!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 04:40 PM

When in Rome... after all, aren't we expecting people to abide by the customs and culture of the host country when they come here?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Little Mosque On The Prairie

Girl shows muslim dad with new outfit, bellybutton exposed:

Dad: You look like a Protestant!
Girl: You mean prostitute.
Dad: No, I mean Protestant!

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH

DBursey
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 05:38 PM

Countries with strong constitutional safeguards should have no worries in avoiding moves toward sharia or any such religiously based legal systems. In Ontario, sharia was rejected and other faith-based tribunals were eliminated. McGuinty knew there would be no chance for sharia-based court decisions to stand any challenge based on Canadian Charter rights. So he wisely avoided the issue.

Otherwise, when in Wahhabia, don't offend the wahhabists. Caveat emptor.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro: View Post
If the muslim population became the majority in EU nations, is it conceivable that sharia law could be enacted?
It's conceivable, but not necessarily the case. Turkey is an example of a predominantly Muslim yet laical country.

Forum Links
Forum Rules