Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NHL - 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

NHL - 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs (Page 7)
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 02:33 PM

It's been nice having a playoff round where I really care abut the outcome of the games.

Leading up to this series, every single matchup has either been between two teams I don't really care about or two teams that I hate with a passion. Now we have a big showdown between a team I don't really care about and a team I hate with a passion. Go team I don't really care about! GO GO GO!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

freudling
Banned
Jun 9, 2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Has freudling flipped back to hating the Canucks yet, like he has from the beginning except when he wasn't.
Go Bruins!

freudling
Banned
Jun 9, 2011, 03:22 PM

Tomorrow night here we go. Back to Vancouver see if the Cannots can take Game 5. If they don't, obviously, they're in a lot of trouble because it's back to Boston where the Bruins can finish them off. The Bruins will have massive momentum on their side.

I've said this from the beginning, you can't win in the playoffs without incredible goaltending. Period. Luongo has always been Vancouver's weakest link in this regard.

Last year, for instance, he blew a game letting in 5 goals (mostly weak ones) and the Cannots got knocked out of the playoffs.

Schneider looked so much better in net than Luongo did. Who knows what the coach will do. It's hard at this stage to ditch your number 1 goalie, but Schneider looked solid.

Do I think the Bruins will win in Vancouver? No idea. They certainly have the momentum and goaltending to win the next 2 games and take the series. But like Marchand said, he doesn't think the Bruins are in control of the series because the Canucks are a great team and can run over you at anytime.

Same with Bob McKenzie. It's a game-by-game thing and anyone can win. Both teams deserve to be here.

So, how can the Canucks win?

1. They need to solve Thomas. Thomas plays very far out of his crease in live areas. It's almost impossible to score when a goalie cuts off your angles like this adding to this... when the opponent has a layer of strong defence to go along with it. Burrows exploited Thomas's play to make it a weakness with his wrap around goal in overtime: he faked out Thomas, knew he would commit and come too far out, and he wrapped it around and scored. The Canucks have to get fake out Thomas more by making him commit, and then bury it. My buddy in pro always used to do a move that would allow him to score almost 100% of the time. It takes some practice though. You skate as fast as you can directly toward the goalie, and I mean as fast as you can and you don't slow down. Eventually, as you are closing in, the goalie will be forced to make a decision and will always move back toward his crease, or he'll get mowed over. As he's moving back, you keep your speed and don't back down. He'll be pushed so far back into the net... at that point, do a quick deak to your backhand and lift the puck into the net. It'll almost always trickle in.

1976 Canada Cup. Czechoslovakia vs Canada final game tied 4-4 I believe in overtime. The Czech goalie played the same style as Thomas: he came incredibly far out of the crease to cut off angles. Don Cherry went into the dressing room and told the guys, to beat this goalie, you have to make him commit to you, fake him out, and then bury it. He'll be so committed the net will be wide open.

That's exactly what Darryl Sittler did.

"Sittler... right in on goal… the shot… scoooores!"

YouTube - ‪1976 canada cup game winner‬‏

2. Win one-on-one battles. The Bruins are winning these more often, and therefore are getting better puck control and possession, staying in the Cannots' zone longer, etc.

3. Capitalize on the PP. Enough said.

4. Get the cycle game back. The Canucks have lost their ability to create time and space for themselves. They desperately need to get this back because it's a big part of why they won so many games and got this far.

5. Sedin Sisters: wake up bitches.

6. The Bruins are dirty beyond belief. There should have been so many penalties called against Boston that weren't. One example is Marchand hauling down a Canuck at the end of the game. They're being very sneaky about this stuff but it's bad for the game. The refs, next game, need to start calling a lot more and send a message to the Bruins. If they don't in the first period, the Canucks must respond and get dirty too.
( Last edited by freudling; Jun 9, 2011 at 03:29 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
1. They need to solve Thomas. Thomas plays very far out of his crease in live areas. It's almost impossible to score when a goalie cuts off your angles like this adding to this... when the opponent has a layer of strong defence to go along with it. Burrows exploited Thomas's play to make it a weakness with his wrap around goal in overtime: he faked out Thomas, knew he would commit and come too far out, and he wrapped it around and scored. The Canucks have to get fake out Thomas more by making him commit, and then bury it. My buddy in pro always used to do a move that would allow him to score almost 100% of the time. It takes some practice though. You skate as fast as you can directly toward the goalie, and I mean as fast as you can and you don't slow down. Eventually, as you are closing in, the goalie will be forced to make a decision and will always move back toward his crease, or he'll get mowed over. As he's moving back, you keep your speed and don't back down. He'll be pushed so far back into the net... at that point, do a quick deak to your backhand and lift the puck into the net. It'll almost always trickle in.
That's great for breakaways or partial breakaways, but that's a rare situation. Burrows scored probably only because of Chara's pathetically weak play in that situation - not sure what happened to his brain at that moment!

Bottom line, they need to get people at the net, survive the punishment, and get some back-breaking garbage goals.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

freudling
Banned
Jun 9, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
That's great for breakaways or partial breakaways, but that's a rare situation. Burrows scored probably only because of Chara's pathetically weak play in that situation - not sure what happened to his brain at that moment!

Bottom line, they need to get people at the net, survive the punishment, and get some back-breaking garbage goals.
No it is not just for breakaways. You have to get around other players or through players and keep charging at the goalie to push him back. He plays so far out he needs to be pushed back in. At any rate, there's lots of opportunity to make him commit. One is breaking in, F2 or F3. With the Cannots' speed they have to stop taking bad angle shots from the hashmarks on a break in and carry it around the back of the net, then crash the net, or work their points while crashing the net.

They just didn't have enough guys closed in on Thomas. The whole issue right now, that was brought up with the NHL, is how Thomas comes so far out then complains if any players are behind him. The refs aren't going to call any interference at this point because outside the crease is livable space open to players.

I suspect the Cannots, having looked at the video, are going to charge the net, push Thomas back in, while at the same time they'll get in his way behind him and cause a whole bunch of confusion in front of the net.

If there's one thing the Cannots are good at it's cycling the puck and working the points. If they do this and push Thomas, they'll be successful.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2011, 06:19 PM

6. The Bruins are dirty beyond belief. There should have been so many penalties called against Boston that weren't. One example is Marchand hauling down a Canuck at the end of the game. They're being very sneaky about this stuff but it's bad for the game. The refs, next game, need to start calling a lot more and send a message to the Bruins. If they don't in the first period, the Canucks must respond and get dirty too.
Bruins fan here....I think BOTH teams have gotten away with dirty play, it's inherent in the game...What IS bad for the game is the diving that Vancouver does...they should be ashamed to call themselves men or hocky players! While they are a very talented team, their behavior is disgraceful! Stand up and play some hockey! Go Bruins!!!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 07:57 PM

I disagree, Bruins have been dirty in the game and the fans have been disrespectful out side of the game. Its been reported that Bruin Fans have been heckling Vancouver fans at the games and outside in the city. Some have been in fear of getting beat up. Chicago was a hard hitting team but the hits are clean. Bruins have been doing dirty hits like going for knees and taunting by far worse then any other team in the playoffs. I can't really say I respect the team or the fans right now. At least when it was over between San Jose, Nashville and Chicago I could still respect the teams and the fans. I wont be saying that about Boston.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I disagree, Bruins have been dirty in the game and the fans have been disrespectful out side of the game. Its been reported that Bruin Fans have been heckling Vancouver fans at the games and outside in the city. Some have been in fear of getting beat up. Chicago was a hard hitting team but the hits are clean. Bruins have been doing dirty hits like going for knees and taunting by far worse then any other team in the playoffs. I can't really say I respect the team or the fans right now. At least when it was over between San Jose, Nashville and Chicago I could still respect the teams and the fans. I wont be saying that about Boston.
Who cares about the fans when the Canucks are diving on the ground like girlymen, looking for a call? Disgraceful! All Canadians should be ashamed of their behavior! It's your sport, right? And this is how you play? I hope the Bruins knock their teeth out!!! Go Bruins!!!

freudling
Banned
Jun 9, 2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Who cares about the fans when the Canucks are diving on the ground like girlymen, looking for a call? Disgraceful! All Canadians should be ashamed of their behavior! It's your sport, right? And this is how you play? I hope the Bruins knock their teeth out!!! Go Bruins!!!
Go away troll. Like Charlie Sheen said, all green things must die.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 09:30 PM

Thanx for proving my point.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Thanx for proving my point.
REAL men spell thanks with an s......

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2011, 12:20 AM

REAL men spell thanks with an s......
Ummm.... "REAL" men don't spend time arguing on an internet computer forum. I think it may be time for a reality check.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
Ummm.... "REAL" men don't spend time arguing on an internet computer forum. I think it may be time for a reality check.

Nor do they dive on the ice looking for a call, all the while calling themselves hockey players...you two should make plans to go to the ballet or something tonight, this game is going to be too much for your delicate constitutions...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 11:27 AM

If I remember correctly it was one of your pussy's that had to spend time in the hospital because he can't look where he is skating. Our guys get back up from a little tap, they don't squirm on the ice like worms.
( Last edited by Athens; Jun 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 12:10 PM

Worst trash talk ever.

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2011, 12:32 PM

Worst trash talk ever.
But entertaining at the same time. How boring would these boards be if the "REAL MEN" weren't here?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 12:44 PM

Just a note this is all just in fun for me, don't take anything im saying as serious with the trash talk. Part of the game, when its over you go back to drinking with your buddies even if they misplace their team support lol

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2011, 04:09 PM

Wow, some interesting stuff here. Boston is dirty? Really? Canucks fans are in fear of being beaten up, have any of them been beaten up? They're afraid they might be beaten up, so Boston is dirty? Okay, I don't get it, but okay. Incidentally, it's a Vancouver player who's been suspended for the most blatant, dirty, late, cheap shot hit of the playoffs, but Boston is dirty, gotcha. Taunting? Right, your lily white angel bites Bergeron's finger, but Boston is dirty for taunting them to do it again, whatever you say. If the NHL had suspended the punk who did the biting, that would have been the end of it. "He didn't mean to bite"? I can't even take that seriously.

freudling, you made some great points. However, I don't think just charging at Thomas will work, he is NOT afraid to make contact with the shooter, talk to Mr. Sedin about that. Vancouver has the talent to win, no question about it, and Boston will not have it easy, they will have to continue to out-work and out-hustle the Canucks if they want it. Will Luongo make it through the game without soiling himself again? I fully expect him to bring his "A" game tonight, so Boston had better be prepared for a LOW scoring game. Go Bruins!

freudling
Banned
Jun 10, 2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Wow, some interesting stuff here. Boston is dirty? Really? Canucks fans are in fear of being beaten up, have any of them been beaten up? They're afraid they might be beaten up, so Boston is dirty? Okay, I don't get it, but okay. Incidentally, it's a Vancouver player who's been suspended for the most blatant, dirty, late, cheap shot hit of the playoffs, but Boston is dirty, gotcha. Taunting? Right, your lily white angel bites Bergeron's finger, but Boston is dirty for taunting them to do it again, whatever you say. If the NHL had suspended the punk who did the biting, that would have been the end of it. "He didn't mean to bite"? I can't even take that seriously.

freudling, you made some great points. However, I don't think just charging at Thomas will work, he is NOT afraid to make contact with the shooter, talk to Mr. Sedin about that. Vancouver has the talent to win, no question about it, and Boston will not have it easy, they will have to continue to out-work and out-hustle the Canucks if they want it. Will Luongo make it through the game without soiling himself again? I fully expect him to bring his "A" game tonight, so Boston had better be prepared for a LOW scoring game. Go Bruins!
It works, pretty much every time. And it'll work on Thomas too. I do agree with you Thomas is ready to make contact but he also knows he can get hurt very easily standing still when a player is traveling at a high rate of speed and about to collide with him. Concussion time...

Anyway, watch the Canucks tonight: F2 and F3 to see if the coach has been able to retool their break ins to get closer to Thomas. Mason Raymond wiring wrist shots from the hashmarks might work in shinny hockey, but not against Boston. Get in deep and tight, create confusion in front of the net, and get behind Thomas if he's that far out. Confusion and mayhem = goals.

freudling
Banned
Jun 10, 2011, 04:39 PM

Look, I want to make something clear. The Bruins deserved to win the games they did. So by me saying they're dirty doesn't mean I don't think they deserved to win the last 2 games. It's just an observation that to me, is hurting the Canucks's play. I've played hockey my whole life and I know all the tricks and crap. I see what Boston is doing.

But this is just one of several factors why the Cannots are losing. I've detailed that in my above post. Again, as dirty as they are, the Bruins are the better team right now.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 04:59 PM

HAHAHA our little white angel bite in defense. Bergeron shouldn't be placing his dirty finders into other peoples mouths. I have no sympathy for that loser. Should have been a harder bite.

I seriously think it comes down to home ice. Boston is not skating well on Vancouvers Ice and Vancouver isn't skating well on Bostons ice. Boston is a warmer building and Bostons style of play takes that into account. As does Vancouvers style which needs good ice. The Home Ice advantage for the Canucks might play a key roll in this Stanley Cup run.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 05:04 PM

Wah, the other team is dirty.

This is the oldest complaint in the book. The other team is ALWAYS dirty.

How many Bruins have bit your players or ended their seasons with illegal hits?

freudling
Banned
Jun 10, 2011, 05:26 PM

Wah, the other team is dirty.

This is the oldest complaint in the book. The other team is ALWAYS dirty.

How many Bruins have bit your players or ended their seasons with illegal hits?
Just go away. If you know anything about hockey, you can clearly see a pile high of dirty play from the Bruins. If you haven't figured it out yet, a few of us actually know a few things about hockey... And of course, Internet forum lurkers like you will isolate 2 incidents and just keep repeating them.

I say this objectively: the Burins are dirty, much dirtier than the Cannots. But I don't really care who wins. Yes, I'm in Van, but I've never been a fan of them because they always bite it in the playoffs. Additionally, I've had a few run ins with Linden but I won't go there.

Anyway, we'll see how both teams respond tonight.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 05:49 PM

Ugh. A hockey knowledge pissing match. Seriously?

Look, I know hockey, I follow hockey. I have for a long time. Don't start with this poo poo.

After the refs are biased, whining about how dirty the other team is is the oldest fallback in the world.

The other team is always dirty. The hometeam is always a bunch of saints. Us vs. them. It's how it works.

Are the Bruins breaking the rules? Are they doing anything that a million teams haven't done before? What is the complaint here anyway? Are they too mean? Do their black uniforms make them look scary or something?

If they are breaking the rules they will get penalties called on them. If they are getting away with stuff behind the scenes, then too freaking bad. That's part of the game and always has been.

To pretend like the Canucks are saints is hysterical. It's hockey, not ice dancing. The Canucks can take care of themselves. They aren't a team of ice dancers. They are actually fairly scrappy as teams go. They should be able to give as good as they can get.

Are the Bruins winning games because they are breaking the rules? I don't think so. It's a silly thing to complain about.

freudling
Banned
Jun 10, 2011, 09:31 PM

Look, I know hockey, I follow hockey. I have for a long time. Don't start with this poo poo.

After the refs are biased, whining about how dirty the other team is is the oldest fallback in the world.

The other team is always dirty. The hometeam is always a bunch of saints. Us vs. them. It's how it works.

Are the Bruins breaking the rules? Are they doing anything that a million teams haven't done before? What is the complaint here anyway? Are they too mean? Do their black uniforms make them look scary or something?

If they are breaking the rules they will get penalties called on them. If they are getting away with stuff behind the scenes, then too freaking bad. That's part of the game and always has been.

To pretend like the Canucks are saints is hysterical. It's hockey, not ice dancing. The Canucks can take care of themselves. They aren't a team of ice dancers. They are actually fairly scrappy as teams go. They should be able to give as good as they can get.

Are the Bruins winning games because they are breaking the rules? I don't think so. It's a silly thing to complain about.
Blah blah blah.

freudling
Banned
Jun 10, 2011, 11:31 PM

Sorry... but to all the Bruins fans on here... what were you bullshitting about?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2011, 01:06 AM

Better team won. Boston looked weak, I mean they just didn't look like a hockey team. Nashville was a more impressive team. Why do people like this old, slow tired team again?

One more Win baby, One more.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2011, 01:06 AM

Blah blah blah.

freudling
Banned
Jun 12, 2011, 05:06 AM

So what's the mood like in Vancouver? Here's a view inside our city:

YouTube - ‪Vancouver Canucks Win Game 5 Stanley Cup Final 2011‬‏

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2011, 04:44 PM

Meh...pretty lame...seems to me they realized they escaped with a win...Bruins gave them that game...I guess the Bruins want to win it in Vancouver, to send those people home with broken hearts...

freudling
Banned
Jun 12, 2011, 08:01 PM

Meh...pretty lame...seems to me they realized they escaped with a win...Bruins gave them that game...I guess the Bruins want to win it in Vancouver, to send those people home with broken hearts...
Suck it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2011, 08:06 PM

The Canucks will get annihilated at the Garden, again, but I'm not very confident the Bruins can make it happen in Vancouver.

freudling
Banned
Jun 12, 2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The Canucks will get annihilated at the Garden, again, but I'm not very confident the Bruins can make it happen in Vancouver.
Ya, while anything can happen, the Bruins are now in a tough spot.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2011, 12:47 AM

How is this thread up to 9 pages, but no one cares about one of the best NBA Finals stories of all-time? I'm losing my mind with happiness tonight.

Now for the hockey...

Earlier, I stated I was rooting for the Canucks since the Stars didn't make the playoffs, and I'm sticking by it, but I hope they close it out in a Game 7. Who doesn't love winner-take-all games?

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2011, 03:24 AM

Bruins gave them that game.
At first this made me go , and then I was all .

Then, I realized you were serious and I was like , and once the shock that you were serious was over I was

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2011, 04:29 PM

C'mon gents; it's been a GREAT series so far. Both teams have played to the edge of what the refs will permit; sometimes beyond. The worst was probably the Rome hit. Personally I'd like to do away with the stuff that goes on between the whistles.

Athens had a good point vis a vis the ice quality in Vancouver vs TD Centre. The better B.C. ice favours the Canucks' speed game. Conversely, the slush in Beantown favours the home side.

It'll be interesting to see if Luongo can improve on his last two games in Boston. I think it'll come down to goaltending and special teams tonight.

Go Canucks!

freudling
Banned
Jun 13, 2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey View Post
C'mon gents; it's been a GREAT series so far. Both teams have played to the edge of what the refs will permit; sometimes beyond. The worst was probably the Rome hit. Personally I'd like to do away with the stuff that goes on between the whistles.

Athens had a good point vis a vis the ice quality in Vancouver vs TD Centre. The better B.C. ice favours the Canucks' speed game. Conversely, the slush in Beantown favours the home side.

It'll be interesting to see if Luongo can improve on his last two games in Boston. I think it'll come down to goaltending and special teams tonight.

Go Canucks!
Can we all stop saying special teams? It's annoying.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 04:54 PM

If the ice is so amazing at the Rogers Arena, then why have all of the games there been super low scoring while all of the games in Boston have been blowouts? It doesn't really add up.

Saying the bad ice favors Boston is just a way to insult the Bruins...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 07:05 PM

Is that a serious question :|

freudling
Banned
Jun 13, 2011, 11:58 PM

Boston the better team tonight. Luongo? Sucked once again. If we lose this series people will lynch him and rightfully so.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 03:53 AM

Didn't see anything I didn't expect. Game was almost exactly as I expected it to be.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 10:09 AM

Looooooooooooooooooooooo!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 10:58 AM

If the ice is so amazing at the Rogers Arena, then why have all of the games there been super low scoring while all of the games in Boston have been blowouts? It doesn't really add up.
Prophetic.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 11:38 AM

Total goals scored on the crystal clear pristine ice at Rogers Arena (home of the skillful, graceful and honorable Canucks) = 7
Total goals scored on the miserable sludge at Boston Garden (home of the crossed-eyed talentless goon squad known as the Bruins) = 20

Watching the canucks gracefully glide around like angels on the perfectly formed ice at Rogers arena is a sight to behold. The pure white flawless ice a perfect match for their pristine and noble intentions. Just as the perfect ice creates a mirror that they can gaze into, it also mirrors the collective dreams and hopes of Canada. Decades of training, a lifetime of hard work and the hopes and dreams of a nation of starry eyed dreamers has brought them to this moment...

Meanwhile at the Boston Garden, the trap has been laid. The ice has been transformed to sludge... you don't so much skate through it as you stomp through it with a resounding SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT. And the Bruins wouldn't have it any other way. Their dark uniforms match their dark intentions. They will get that cup. They have a plan to steal it from those naive Canadian boys. The Canucks think they can win by playing a clean game of traditional hockey? Ha. The dirty Americans know how to win this game. With no chance to beat them on their own terms, they resort to dirty play and terrible ice. Slathering their fingers with the most deliciously tangy BBQ sauce that no mortal can resist. Ramming their heads into the unsuspecting elbows of the noble Canucks. They might not be able to beat the Canucks at hockey, but they can find a way to win. Oh yes, they can...

On a different note...

Let's talk about Luongo. He's a fine goalie. Definitely in the top 10 most years. That said, goalies these days are so up and down. The age of dominant goaltenders is seemingly over. They seem to get hot for a year, then fade into normalcy.

How do Vancouver fans feel about Luongo being your goalie for the next decade? At such a big cap hit? And that he's basically untradable?

If the Canucks lose game 7 don't you think the entire city is going to turn on him? What happens then?
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 14, 2011 at 01:19 PM. )

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 12:59 PM

Can we all stop saying special teams? It's annoying.
You can refer to PP and PK however you like, but to hockey folk they're collectively known as 'special teams'.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 01:14 PM

Total goals scored on the crystal clear pristine ice at Rogers Arena (home of the skillful, graceful and honorable Canucks) = 7
Total goals scored on the miserable sludge at Boston Garden (home of the crossed-eyed talentless goon squad known as the Bruins) = 20 ...
Speculation speciously caricatured as hyperbole.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 01:26 PM

How do Vancouver fans feel about Luongo being your goalie for the next decade? At such a big cap hit? And that he's basically untradable?
Luongo gets a lot of punishment and unfair punishment from the fans. Most of the time his failures are actually part of the collective failure of the team as a whole. Its usually defensive errors that screw him over. He stops the first shot, but no one is around to get the rebound or its a break away or a 2 on one situation. He does have a break down issue after a couple bad goals he loses it which isn't good. He is one of the top goalies. Bostons Goalie is no doubt the best dam goalie maybe ever but def the best current goalie. Also gotta wonder how long he will last at that level though. Kirk McLean during the 94 play off run stopped the most shots of any goalie during the playoffs. After that series he didn't fair as well. Tomorrows game Tim should take that title, he broke 700 saves in game 5.

freudling
Banned
Jun 14, 2011, 01:30 PM

Stop defending Luongo. He's tanked this whole series. Compared to Thomas? No comparison. You can't win at this level and at this stage without incredible goaltending. Period.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2011, 02:05 PM

Open your eyes and see the collective mistakes made by every one not just him. First goal last night he dropped and protected the 5 hole but got beat in the upper corner. Second goal he delayed dropping down and got beat on the 5 hole covering the upper part of the net. Both times no Defense to pressure a quicker lazy shot or to interfere with taking a shot. Would Thomas have stopped those shots you bet he is the best goalie out there. But would most of the others in the NHL have prob not either. I don't know why you can't look past one man and see the failures for what they are collective between multiple people.

One of the goals last night Loungo was totally screened, was no chance he could stop it. I doubt that goal would have been even stopped by Thomas. Your just not being fair with him. Guess you would prefer Cloutier back in net.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2011, 02:33 PM

Luongo is not solely to blame. One man cannot carry the who team all the time. Look at how different the Vancouver defence played when each time when they won in Vancouver compared with how they played in Boston. It was night and day.

It also did not help much with the uneven ice and the bad calls against Vancouver and missed calls against Boston did not help matters. Have some of the Vancouver players taken dives? Probably but it was in retribution for the dives taken by the Bruins in past games and the missed calls when the ref was not looking or just ignored things.

As long as the Vancouver defence do their jobs like they did in past home games in this series, they can take the cup.

I think it was a mistake to start with Luongo in net last night given the previous games they had in Boston. The Boston players have really gotten inside his head. At the same time, the defence were completely off their game.

Maybe the Canucks are so confident they have it in the bag that they did not feel the need to try as hard last night.
( Last edited by aristotles; Jun 14, 2011 at 02:46 PM. )
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules