Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > SETI-Boinc Update

SETI-Boinc Update
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 10:21 PM

Well, the #1 BOINC cruncher is no longer a Macintosh G5. It is important to keep in mind that BOINC is multi-processor aware.

The top 4 producing hosts (computers) are now 4 & 8 processor Intel machines running Linux. That is what it took to better the performance of a dual processor, 2 ghz G5.

There are still 5 dual processor G5's in the top 10 of the BOINC beta test. The only thing that can seem to better the dual G5, is multi-processor boxes with a minimum of 4 fast CPU's.

I am currently putting all my remaining resources into the BOINC beta testing. BOINC is the future for SETI, and the probable future for Folding@home and Climate prediction, as well as for some other projects. I lost one box when I gave it to my girlfriend, her kids needed a better computer.

My committement to helping BOINC beta means that the D2OL team is taking a big hit. I encourgage anyone who is not strongly committed to another project to consider D2OL. Right now we are #8 in the project, and with an infusion of power could make the top 5 easily.

In the meantime, I am working to help ensure there is a quality BOINC client for the Mac as well as other platforms. The Linux and Mac CLI clients appear to be stable and working well. The big problem is with the Windows clients, but getting better. The only Graphical-screensaver client is for windows, though Graphical clients are promised for Linux and Mac OS.

The backend system is finally getting the kinks worked out. Still more work to be done.

The credit system though slow and a little difficlut to understand, is working. The big issue is folks who download work units, and then don't complete them. The verification process requires results from at least two different work units, before credit is received. People who download work, and don't complete it, delay the results for other users who are doing that work unit. There is a two week time limit on work units. If results are not returned within that time, they are reissued. As a result, it is not unusual for it to take several days, or even a couple of weeks to finally receive credit. This should be less of a problem, once the project goes mainstream.

BOINC does require validation which improves the science and helps prevent cheating. The downside is that you do not receive instant gratification for work completed. If you have a fast box, you may wait longer, because you will complete your work quickly, but may have to wait for a much slower machine to finish for the work unit to be validated, and credit issued. Over the long run, it does balance out.

Overall, BOINC is coming together. SETI-BOINC, might go mainstream, this spring.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Feb 8, 2004 at 10:33 PM. )

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2004, 11:45 PM

Does it still not work on 10.2?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

jarling
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 12:49 AM

Thanks for raising the collective Mac voice for DC projects. Its great to have a powerful enough showing that it can help generate support on future projects. (The G5s help too, I guess...)

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
The BOINC versions 2.17 & 2.18 are supposed to work with 10.2 but I haven't tested it myself, since my OS versions were already updated. 10.2 is supported.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2004, 06:39 PM

It will launch once they get the Windows versions done... At least that is what I am thinking. Remember, most people use Windows. Those that want to go fast run G5s I really need to look into BOINC...

Microns
Feb 9, 2004, 09:52 PM

BOINC version 2.18 for MacOS works happily on my 10.2.8 (Darwin 6.8) systems.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
It will launch once they get the Windows versions done... At least that is what I am thinking. Remember, most people use Windows. Those that want to go fast run G5s I really need to look into BOINC...
I think you are probably right. Most of the recent problems have been with the Windows clients. While graphic Linux and Mac versions are promised, they could launch with the CLI versions now. There are still some backend problems that need ironing out too, but the developers are making progress. BOINC is way more complicated then the dedicated SETI clients, but it really does represent the future of distributed computing in many ways.

The current credit system will make short term competitions tough though.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 01:41 AM

The BOINC-SETI beta testing continues to progress. The Linux and Mac OS clients appear to be stable, but there are still backend, work unit and credit issues to be resolved.

Currently there are 5 members to the MacNN beta test team. The following are tips for those members.

1. Under preferences, set your cache (days of work units) to no more then 1-2 days. The default is 5-7 days and this may cause more work units to be downloaded then can be completed within the 14 day deadline. A smaller cache will make for more frequent "auto updates".

2. You will only receive credit or pending credit, after you have completed your initial batch of work units. This can take several days. You can force a manual update however by using the following command:
./boinc_2.18 -update_prefs http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/
(where "boinc_2.18 is the name of the application. Your name may be different)

3. If you have problems, post in the BOINC Q&A forums under Macintosh. Be patient. This is a Beta test. It is not for the impatient or faint of heart.

4. Avoid using the reset command or re-installing unless absolutely necessary. You need to be at least a little comfortable with the Unix terminal.

Currently the MacNN test team ranks #60 out of 595 teams that have contributed at least some points, in daily average production, and #113 in overall points. And still climbing.

The G5 still ranks the best of all the 2 processor hosts (machines/boxes). Only 4 & 8 processor PCs running Linux do better.

BOINC shows lots of promise for SETI and future projects such as Folding@Home. Even without optimizations, Macs are very competitive. Because the source code is Open source, the possibility of optimized clients is very good, but this is still many months down the road.

I do not recommend heavy participation at this time. It is not likely that Beta points will carry over to the real project. Mid Spring is still viable for public release. There is still no graphical client, nor is one expected until the windows graphic client is stable.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 18, 2004, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
BOINC shows lots of promise for SETI and future projects such as Folding@Home. Even without optimizations, Macs are very competitive. Because the source code is Open source, the possibility of optimized clients is very good, but this is still many months down the road.
Point of clarification.
Is the core open source, or just the client?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 11:16 AM

Point of clarification.
Is the core open source, or just the client?
My understanding is both. See the following links:

BOINC: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
SETI: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/seti_source/
ASTROPULSE: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ap_source/

However, not all future client/applications may be open sourced. It is possible some projects may prefer to keep their clients internal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules