Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > GigaDesign's dual 1.8 and Seti

GigaDesign's dual 1.8 and Seti
mac1896
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 01:59 PM

Hey All !

This is more of a BOINC/Seti thing, but I'm not a MacNN Team member so I'll post it here.

I have a Digital Audio Dual 533, 768MB pc133 ram (before upgrade) running OS 10.4.5, using BOINC Manager 5.2.13, and the fantastic Altivec optimization "seti@home-G4-a5".

With this setup I was extremely happy crunching along at the rate of (actual clock time) two and a half hours (give or take %5 timewise) per WU, per processor.

To the present.

I recently installed the Giga dual 1.8's (note: set to 1.67 right now until I can get Giga Tech Support to give me the voltage adjustment settings for 1.8)

The installation went smooth as silk following Giga's instructions to the letter. Even did a XBench before and after single run test so I could compare the two sets of processors:

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc...72&doc2=155812

Altivec seems to be running slower compared to the 533's.

But, I can't get it to run a WU faster than 3 hours (give or take %5 timewise).

This seems odd to me, as I figured that at 1.6GHz it should at least run a WU in half the original time of the 533's, not longer than that.

I did this so far yesterday:

1. Clicked on "No New Work" and let it finish crunching the WU's on hand.

2. Sent the WU's home via "Update"

3. Yanked ALL BOINC and Seti related items and trashed them.

4. Restarted, and completely re-installed BOINC 5.2.13 and "seti@home-G4-a5".

I still can't get less than 3 hours to a WU.

Puzzled.......

Doom 3 demo plays very well on 1.67 setting, I know the processor is working via XBench.

The only difference that I find is the processors themselves.

The 533's under the "Processors" control panel>System Preferences show up as 7440 chips, the 1.8's are 7447A chips.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Kevin

p.s. Thanks to Rick and Alex for a great optimization !
( Last edited by mac1896; Apr 9, 2006 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Double check Altivec)

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mac1896
Hey All !

This is more of a BOINC/Seti thing, but I'm not a MacNN Team member so I'll post it here.
You wont get much help with a BOINC question in the Power Mac forum...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Microns
Apr 9, 2006, 11:14 PM

If memory serves the 533 has 1meg of backside L2 cache per processor and I'm guessing that the Giga 1.8's only have 512k. For the optimized Seti cache size matters...

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 08:14 AM

Exactly. If you want a sizzling fast Seti cruncher dump your old gear and
get a current dual core 2.3 - those things will pump out blocks in a little
over 1600 seconds until the sky turns to concrete.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Exactly. If you want a sizzling fast Seti cruncher dump your old gear and
get a current dual core 2.3 - those things will pump out blocks in a little
over 1600 seconds until the sky turns to concrete.
Heh, you're finally a Green Star. Took ya long enough.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 12:39 PM

Oh geez, I didn't even notice. Cool.

RickM
May 8, 2006, 09:28 PM

I had an old Mac Mini and it would crunch through a work unit in a little over 5 hours. So... I saw the new Mac Mini Dual Core is 4-5 times faster so I bought one. I figured I could run one unit an hour. WRONG! The first one took about 2 hours the 2nd one about 4 hrs now about a week later it is taking 22 hours. I boosted the memory from 512 to 1.2 gig but still same problem. I even removed the widgets and are no longer taking memory but still same problem.

Any recomendations?

Cheers!

[email protected]

jedimstr
May 9, 2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by RickM
I had an old Mac Mini and it would crunch through a work unit in a little over 5 hours. So... I saw the new Mac Mini Dual Core is 4-5 times faster so I bought one. I figured I could run one unit an hour. WRONG! The first one took about 2 hours the 2nd one about 4 hrs now about a week later it is taking 22 hours. I boosted the memory from 512 to 1.2 gig but still same problem. I even removed the widgets and are no longer taking memory but still same problem.

Any recomendations?

Cheers!

[email protected]
That's because the current standard Boinc/Seti client is PPC based...therefore it runs under Rosetta emulation on your new Dual Core mini.

Try the beta Universal version of the Boinc/Seti client (with support for Intel based Macs like yours) here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.p...e=mac_advanced
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

RickM
May 9, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by jedimstr
That's because the current standard Boinc/Seti client is PPC based...therefore it runs under Rosetta emulation on your new Dual Core mini.

Try the beta Universal version of the Boinc/Seti client (with support for Intel based Macs like yours) here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.p...e=mac_advanced
Thank you! I tried it but the link is not there. I get the following message:

Not Found

The requested URL /download/boinc/dl/boinc_5.4.9_macOSX_universal.zip was not found on this server.

Cheers!

Rick

mikkyo
Senior User
May 10, 2006, 01:57 AM

jedimstr
May 10, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by mikkyo
Don't think that one is gonna work for him... he's look for Universal binaries and that's PPC.

The 5.4.9 Standard GUI from this page should work... and the file downloads fine from this page (don't know why it doesn't from the details page I originally listed):
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.p...sion=5.0&dev=1

RickM
May 18, 2006, 11:58 PM

Thank you it is working but the speed varies greatly. One run I completed 2 units concurrently in 45 minutes, then another pair in 5 hrs. I had no other apps running. The avg now seems to be about 2 in 3 hrs 50 mins.

jedimstr
May 19, 2006, 06:18 AM

Thank you it is working but the speed varies greatly. One run I completed 2 units concurrently in 45 minutes, then another pair in 5 hrs. I had no other apps running. The avg now seems to be about 2 in 3 hrs 50 mins.
All the workunits will vary greatly across the board. The time it takes to process is mostly based on the AR of each work unit and so there will be short wu's with relatively little work to do, and long work units with tons of work to do. You may also get some noisy wu's that the client knows it can't really waste time on and it will return a standard error (you are still supposed to get some credit for it)... you'll see these in your Seti Results page as the really low cred/fast crunched results. It will probably be more pronounced with Seti Enhanced now than it was with the last version of Seti under BOINC.

RickM
May 19, 2006, 07:11 PM

Thank you Jedi! I appreciate the clarity. By the way...how come you know so much on this topic? Are you one of the developers?

Cheers,

Rick

jedimstr
May 19, 2006, 07:18 PM

Thank you Jedi! I appreciate the clarity. By the way...how come you know so much on this topic? Are you one of the developers?

Cheers,

Rick

Naah, I wish... I just read these forums and the Seti@Home forums religiously... I want to make sure my Crunching is as efficient as possible. Unfortunately, my Daily output has gone down from around 10,000 to just under 5,000 credits a day (not the RAC) based on Boinstats.com measure.

Really need that Altivec optimized worker... *sigh*

RickM
Jun 3, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jedimstr
Naah, I wish... I just read these forums and the Seti@Home forums religiously... I want to make sure my Crunching is as efficient as possible. Unfortunately, my Daily output has gone down from around 10,000 to just under 5,000 credits a day (not the RAC) based on Boinstats.com measure.

Really need that Altivec optimized worker... *sigh*
How the heck do you get 10,000 a day? I would love to build a rack mounted system where I could just add affordable motherboards as I can afford them and then let her rip. Problem is I have no idea how to admin each of the CPUs. For now I have a Mac Mini dual core & a MacBook Pro dual core and an older (6 mo) Mac Mini I am about to sell. Any thoughts on how I can do what I mentioned above?

Cheers,

RICK

[edit by reader50]
When posting on the Internet, POSTING IN ALL-CAPS is equivalent to shouting. It is also somewhat harder to read.

Registration is not required in this forum, but it does allow you to edit your messages afterwards. When you post as a guest, fixing anything afterwards requires help from a friendly Moderator.
[/edit]
( Last edited by reader50; Jun 4, 2006 at 02:03 AM. )

Rick M
Jun 14, 2006, 08:26 PM

How the heck do you get 10,000 a day? I would love to build a rack mounted system where I could just add affordable motherboards as I can afford them and then let her rip. Problem is I have no idea how to admin each of the CPUs. For now I have a Mac Mini dual core & a MacBook Pro dual core and an older (6 mo) Mac Mini I am about to sell. Any thoughts on how I can do what I mentioned above?

Cheers,

RICK

Forum Links
Forum Rules